Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Little Animal
Yes I did get the confirmation code from the agent, however when I retrieve on the AS site, it just said my reservation cannot display online
Why don't you call them up and ask what's going on?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:26 pm

I call to book the CX ticket for next March yesterday and saw the mileage is deducted from my account immediately but still haven't receive the e-ticket yet. Just wondering normally how long will it take to issue the e-ticket?
I got my E-Ticket for my CX booking via email from AS within 15 mins!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:34 pm

I call few hours ago and the agent told me she can see my ticket number in the system and will email me e-ticket and should receive it within 20mins but I still haven't receive it! I guess I need to call again!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I call few hours ago and the agent told me she can see my ticket number in the system and will email me e-ticket and should receive it within 20mins but I still haven't receive it! I guess I need to call again!
If they can see the ticket number, they can give you the ticket number, as well as the CX record locator. Ask for both of them, and use the record locator on the CX site to assign a seat.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:21 pm

After almost 48 hours, I finally received my e-ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Have 2 tickets booked a while ago, and have the CX conf.for both. One works while the other CX website says is invalid. Confirmed with AS that ticket is booked and conf. number is correct. Any way to fix this without calling CX? TIA
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Have 2 tickets booked a while ago, and have the CX conf.for both. One works while the other CX website says is invalid. Confirmed with AS that ticket is booked and conf. number is correct. Any way to fix this without calling CX? TIA
Try the CX record locator in checkmytrip.com (which is an Amadeus front end, which is the same system CX uses). What happens?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Try the CX record locator in checkmytrip.com (which is an Amadeus front end, which is the same system CX uses). What happens?
I can pull it up, and res. says confirmed. I know its a first world problem, but sad that the window seats in F are gone lol
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Alaska. AA, Kris, QFF, Lifemiles, BA+
I can pull it up, and res. says confirmed. I know its a first world problem, but sad that the window seats in F are gone lol
Call CX. The window seats may be available.
I can never get them online but the CX girls usually can over the phone!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cleobasset
Call CX. The window seats may be available.
I can never get them online but the CX girls usually can over the phone!
Call Hong Kong, not the US line.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Call Hong Kong, not the US line.
I've personally never had a problem getting seats assigned by calling the US line.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon
I've personally never had a problem getting seats assigned by calling the US line.
My experience:

US: nope, no bassinet seat
HK: we might kick you if someone needs it but sure
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Likely an error with the CX website. Nothing to worry about if CheckMyTrip is showing confirmed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:17 pm

YVR-HGK availability

Hi everyone
been browsing the forum a bit thanks for all the info on here

Question/reassurance is
wanting to redeem a yvr-hgk(stopover)-mel for two in oct. I do have about a 2 week flexibility to play around with dates. but by the sounds of the forum flights out of yvr are hard to come by and i have noticed this also. managed to find one kind of suitable is it worth booking this in now and then closer to date changing either class type or flight no depending on what crops up?
i guess what kind of changes can you make? i.e. just upgrade to F or complete flight/plane change?

otherwise i have found a more perfect flight leaving from jfk, but is that worth the extra 5hr+ flight time?? as my origin is yvr?

sorry getting confused. any help or guidance would be wonderful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.