Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Yes, T is one of those fare buckets which are excluded from advance seat selection, unless you're a OW elite.
Correction, T fare class you are definitely able to select seats in advance if you call CX.

Not sure why you can't do it online though.

According to CX, these fare classes are eligible for advanced seat request: "Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T"
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-requests.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Correction, T fare class you are definitely able to select seats in advance if you call CX.

Not sure why you can't do it online though.

According to CX, these fare classes are eligible for advanced seat request: "Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T"
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-requests.html
I wonder if seat blocking is an issue? When flying F award there is only 1 seat that is selectable, rest are blocked for bassinet and OW elites
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska was able to put in a seat request, but it sent back middles.

I'm now on my 2nd call to Cathay - this is a hair annoying, quite the long hold time even for early in the morning for them.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. You will see that the CX award is to YVR only. Allowing CX to transport as part of a USA domestic itinerary (JFK-SEA) would violate USA law regarding cabotage and subject AS and/or CX to large fines. Non-USA airlines may not transport passengers on domestic itineraries, even with an intermediary stop in Canada that switches airlines.
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
except of course the JFK LAX Qantas flight I'm flying this week ��
Quite misleading.

It is JFK-LAX-Australia. It is subject to the same cabotage law.

QF JFK-LAX can only be a connection flight. QF does not have the right to "sell" the JFK=LAX alone, it is part of the continuous itinerary.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
haha seriously? My bad, next time I'll read through every single thread on FT before asking a question.
Not a typical response on the normally helpful Alaska forum.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
I'm showing multiple award seats across all classes (F,J,Y) on fight 888 from HKG to YVR on both the JAL and BA searches, yet the agent couldn't seem to find a single seat on the flight in any class... am I missing something? I seem to remember this happening before until I told the agent a certain flight, but even that didn't help this time. I'm going to try again tomorrow, but it's definitely frustrating...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've just made several refinements to my CX F award and AS was able to change it each time.

I was initially on CX LAX-HKG (F) HKG-TPE (J) TPE-NGO (J)
First was an aircraft change to a 77W HKG-TPE and I was able to move to F (agent did charge the extra $20 and change for the new runway tax... I tried getting it waived, but no go (as I booked F in the beginning).
Then I changed to the proper destination TPE-NRT a few days ago.
Last night I checked britishairways.com as I have been doing daily, if not more often, and the nonstop HKG-NRT opened in F. Score.

A few notes: BA mirrored AS for what I was booking. YMMV.
Each time an agent could find and hold the space, but had to be connected to someone who could modify "International itineraries", they tended to have a bit of a hold to get in touch. Each change took 20-30 minutes by phone, including hold time.

The change last night was for a flight leaving the 13th of April and space just opened up on the 29th of March. It was 0'd out at one point (watching EF) but bumped to F2. It took a day or three, but that's when First (Z) class showed on britishairways.com [logged into avios account] and I called AS. Flight now F1 on the 77W.

I was not assigned seats at first. Logged into cathaypacific's website using my account there, and after changing my # to a CX one, I was autoassigned seats. I previously was Marco Polo Green, but this has since expired, so not sure how I got my seats. But I'm happy with 1A and 1K.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
A few notes: BA mirrored AS for what I was booking. YMMV.
Does this mean that AS's availability is 4 less than BA only on some routes? Or only in J?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Does this mean that AS's availability is 4 less than BA only on some routes? Or only in J?
Not sure.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:14 am

Does anyone know if I can pair a Virgin America flight with a CX flight on one award ticket? In other words, does Alaska treats Virgin America as a partner airline or not?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mmdough
Does anyone know if I can pair a Virgin America flight with a CX flight on one award ticket? In other words, does Alaska treats Virgin America as a partner airline or not?
At the moment VX is considered a partner airline for awards, so no mix and match. Just AS and CX.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anybody have any experience cancelling a CX-flight booked with AS miles after checking in?
I know I won't get the $12.50 Partner Booking Fee refunded, but as a MVPG, can I assume I will get all miles and taxes refunded, even after checking in (but before the flight time)?
Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does anybody have any experience cancelling a CX-flight booked with AS miles after checking in?
I know I won't get the $12.50 Partner Booking Fee refunded, but as a MVPG, can I assume I will get all miles and taxes refunded, even after checking in (but before the flight time)?
Thanks!
I've changed my CX flights before after flying the first segment [AS] before. I imagine this should be no problem if not used yet.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Thanks!
You should get the partner booking fee refunded too, that was what I was told by AS today when I asked what is refunded and what is not. Basically they put you in a position as if you never made the booking in the first place.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Was able to grab a date in December using BA.
And to confirm TLV was priced as a Africa / India / Middle East destination (e.g. 62.5K in Biz, 70K in First)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.