Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Grab J for now and worry about the F leg later. Otherwise may end up in coach.
Can the date be changed?

For example, if I book March 16 but F opens up for March 17 can I switch it to March 17 F? What are the fees?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ennsy
Can the date be changed?

For example, if I book March 16 but F opens up for March 17 can I switch it to March 17 F? What are the fees?

$125 per person within 60 days from departure unless MVP Gold/75K. You just need to weigh the risk of 0 award space in any cabin when it gets closer in. There are some recent reports of issues booking maxed cabin awards on CX.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
$125 per person within 60 days from departure unless MVP Gold/75K. You just need to weigh the risk of 0 award space in any cabin when it gets closer in. There are some recent reports of issues booking maxed cabin awards on CX.
Ah okay thank you.

Any truck to getting MVP Gold/75K status?

I've been seeing 2 F tickets available lately within 2-3 days from departure. Today there was 2 F available on Qantas for the 27th. Would the Alaska agent be able to see both our is that a YMMV situation?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Any truck to getting MVP Gold/75K status?
Fly a bunch of miles on Alaska and Virgin America planes, or have Gold+ status in Delta/United, or Platinum+ in American and get status matched. Note that it's supposedly a one time only event. I don't think I'd burn it just to save $250 on a flight change. Note that if you aren't a US resident and you're just buying a bunch of miles to fly to Australia or South Africa, and thus you don't have status in a NA-based program, you're not going to get status matched. AC Elite 50K or better would work out of YVR.

Unlike other programs, there's no credit card trick to get status.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Does anybody have any data points for HKG to Maldives J award availability? had no problem booking JFK HKG in F ..

I am curious if HKG MLE has the same last minute award availability like the other CX routes?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Also, in HKG can the lounge be used on arrival and departure?
No. But there is an arrivals lounge, landside. You need to clear security in order to get from the arrivals level to the departures level. And once you're there, it's not easy to exit the airport.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Does anybody have any data points for HKG to Maldives J award availability? had no problem booking JFK HKG in F ..

I am curious if HKG MLE has the same last minute award availability like the other CX routes?
It's been a few years, but the moment it hit 14 days, my particular flight released 9 seats in business going the other direction. Not the best data point
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
No. But there is an arrivals lounge, landside. You need to clear security in order to get from the arrivals level to the departures level. And once you're there, it's not easy to exit the airport.
Note for OP: the CX arrivals lounge is fairly basic. Just a place for a quick shower or shave and maybe a cup of coffee.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Note for OP: the CX arrivals lounge is fairly basic. Just a place for a quick shower or shave and maybe a cup of coffee.
Decent food too ^

Have done luggage storage here for day trips into HKG. (This way one could add to checked luggage after returning - or just store a carry on).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Decent food too ^

Have done luggage storage here for day trips into HKG. (This way one could add to checked luggage after returning - or just store a carry on).
I am not sure how long ago you have used the Arrival lounge.

It has been very overcrowded for a long time now. You would be lucky to be able to store your luggage as that facility is very small and gets full very quickly in the morning congestion time. Foods are acceptable but trying to have some would be a challenger due to no place to sit, often even the high tops are fully occupied. It definitely is not a comfortable place to spend more than necessary time.

For those have PP you would be better off to go to the Premium lounge instead.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
I am not sure how long ago you have used the Arrival lounge.

It has been very overcrowded for a long time now. You would be lucky to be able to store your luggage as that facility is very small and gets full very quickly in the morning congestion time. Foods are acceptable but trying to have some would be a challenger due to no place to sit, often even the high tops are fully occupied. It definitely is not a comfortable place to spend more than necessary time.

For those have PP you would be better off to go to the Premium lounge instead.
Gotta be at the door before it opens Last time i was first to get in and was able to grab a shower and there was still a seat when i got done. Now about an hour later, no room and when i left someone was being told the shower list was about 2 hours long. The time before i did not head for the showers first and was lucky it was only a 30 min wait.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
HI everyone, I have a silly question...

I can't seem to get seating assignments for my award travel on business class. I have my confirmation code from AA, but, every time I try and call Cathay (calling 1-800-233-2742), I can not get a live person to talk to. I hear no options to be transferred to a live agent. Please assist in giving me some tips on how I can get seating assignment for myself and the family. The flight isn't till March. Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by mumum17

I can't seem to get seating assignments for my award travel on business class. I have my confirmation code from AA, but, every time I try and call Cathay (calling 1-800-233-2742), I can not get a live person to talk to. I hear no options to be transferred to a live agent. Please assist in giving me some tips on how I can get seating assignment for myself and the family. The flight isn't till March. Thanks!
Call in, select existing booking, select the option that says you booked it directly through Cathay, wait on hold. They'll be able to select seats for you.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Did you book using American Airlines (AA) miles or Alaska Airlines (AS)?

(Using AA as an abbreviation for Alaska Airlines when it is used for American Airlines (go look up aa.com) is generally going to confuse people. The IATA code for American is AA, Alaska is AS.)

The Cathay booking confirmation code ("booking reference") that is available on your AS booking if you log into the AS website can be used on the Cathay website to select seats. You can also get this by calling Alaska.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much easier to do it on CX website yourself. AS shows CX PNR on its receipt. Use that to log in CX "Manage Booking". Note if you have a middle initial in your name, the initial must be appended to your first name when you log in, else you would get an error (and start to panic... just kidding).

If your ticket is issued by AA, then you need to call AA to get the CX PNR. You would want to have the Operating Carrier's PNR for any partner award ticket anyway, so you can check on partner's site periodically to make sure everything is in order. Standard practice on any award booked on partners' flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.