Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:03 pm

I tried to book JFK-HKG-SIN with JFK-HKG in F and HKG-SIN in J. The agent sent the booking to their partner travel special team because it was a mixed cabin booking. Then, I was told Cathay didn't allow mixed cabin award booking and I would have to ticket it as 2 tickets. There was no way around it. I told him I flew a few awards ticket just like this and he said:"I'm sorry but we can't ticket mixed cabin ticket anymore".

I was like: OMG, since when Alaska recruited AA phone agents... I'm gonna HUCA later on.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by gpeso8
Another Data Point: BA showed 3 J seats LAX-HKG (CX897) and 2 J Seats HKG-SUB (CX779). I called AS and had no issues with booking 2 J seats on CX897, but they only saw one J seat on CX779. Ended up flying into CGK instead. Very good agent, the whole call took less than 10 minutes.
onemileatatime blog has discussed this. Many times Alaska will just release 1J seat at a time when there are multiple available on AS. So you book the 1J and another should open if QF and BA are showing 5 and Alaska says only 1 is available. Don't know if this is foolproof but it's what they did for a lot of their customers when they were booking mileage tickets so I read on the blog
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by mbfanos
I tried to book JFK-HKG-SIN with JFK-HKG in F and HKG-SIN in J. The agent sent the booking to their partner travel special team because it was a mixed cabin booking. Then, I was told Cathay didn't allow mixed cabin award booking and I would have to ticket it as 2 tickets. There was no way around it. I told him I flew a few awards ticket just like this and he said:"I'm sorry but we can't ticket mixed cabin ticket anymore".

I was like: OMG, since when Alaska recruited AA phone agents... I'm gonna HUCA later on.
Ticketed EWRHKG in J connecting to HKGDPS in Y (5 hr layover) last week for travel next summer. Truly doubt policy changed in the last 7 days.

If AS continues to refuse, try JL over TYO. Small number of additional miles.

Jamie
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:36 am

Jamie, just as a reference point, so you were able to have EWR-HKG-DPS ticketed in 1 award? When I asked, I was told (several times) to need 2...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Tamos
Jamie, just as a reference point, so you were able to have EWR-HKG-DPS ticketed in 1 award? When I asked, I was told (several times) to need 2...
One award, one AS PNR, one CX PNR, ticketed on September 7th.

Similarly, ticketed SGNHKGJFK as PE/J for travel last August, had no trouble changing SGNHKG from PE to J once award space was released. But that was done in, oh, maybe April for August 17 travel.

There's always the possibility that the policy changed since April. But the likelihood that it changed in the past several days seems low to me.

Call back and ask again, if you haven't already.

EDIT - ALSO CHANGED SGNHKGJFK J/J TO J/F ON AUGUST 20 FOR AUGUST 26, 2017 TRAVEL. (Forgot about that).

Good luck - Jamie
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
One award, one AS PNR, one CX PNR, ticketed on September 7th.

Similarly, ticketed SGNHKGJFK as PE/J for travel last August, had no trouble changing SGNHKG from PE to J once award space was released. But that was done in, oh, maybe April for August 17 travel.

There's always the possibility that the policy changed since April. But the likelihood that it changed in the past several days seems low to me.

Call back and ask again, if you haven't already.

EDIT - ALSO CHANGED SGNHKGJFK J/J TO J/F ON AUGUST 20 FOR AUGUST 26, 2017 TRAVEL. (Forgot about that).

Good luck - Jamie
What funny was I had a BOS-HKG-SGN in F/J ticketed just 3 hours before that and the agent said:" Nope, that was a mistake and should not have been allowed." I'm pretty sure mixed cabin award is still allowed, it's just an incompetent agent who made up rules when the computer gave him some errors.
I HUCA-ed and well, AS doesn't see the 1 F released by Cathay anymore. I guess I have to keep HUCA every other day then

P/S: why do some agents don't see the non-stop BOS-HKG at all and some do?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I would be truly shocked they changed the ability to book mixed-cabin awards. Seriously, shocked. Just HUCA and don't read into it. We would have heard if the policy has in fact changed.

The BOS-HKG issue has to do with the flight is at 1AM so sometimes doesn't quite show up right. I believe the fix it to have the agent specify the time in the search criteria, though I could be remembering incorrectly.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I tried to book 2 one ways in Business: HKG - MAN / AMS - HKG - BKK but the return leg was refused and would have had to have been 2 separate awards so I just booked to HKG. The lady said the system wouldn't let her do it so she said she had to consult someone who deals with CX more but when she got back to me she said it wasn't possible.

For some weird reason, I got quoted 110USD for the fees but they only debited my card for 70USD, which is the amount minus their booking fee and telephone fee charge. I am not an elite member. Will they take these charges later or was I lucky?

Any success getting back the 7.5% US tax used to purchase the miles?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I tried to book 2 one ways in Business: HKG - MAN / AMS - HKG - BKK but the return leg was refused and would have had to have been 2 separate awards so I just booked to HKG. The lady said the system wouldn't let her do it so she said she had to consult someone who deals with CX more but when she got back to me she said it wasn't possible.

For some weird reason, I got quoted 110USD for the fees but they only debited my card for 70USD, which is the amount minus their booking fee and telephone fee charge. I am not an elite member. Will they take these charges later or was I lucky?

The telephone charge and partner booking fee might show up in a few hours time.
My charges were separated into 3 transactions (got 3 emails):
-Award Taxes
-The $15 telephone fee
-The $12.5 x 2 = $25 partner award fee.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

CX Europe awards must start/and in HKG only. There is no Europe to Asia award using AS miles.

No you cannot get the 7.5% tax back that it cost to buy the miles. Its separate from the redemption taxes/fees.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Are there any long haul routes where CX opens 2 FC seats way in advance anymore?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Are there any long haul routes where CX opens 2 FC seats way in advance anymore?
Not to/from the USA that I've seen recently.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Yes, there is one and just one long haul destination. But that may also imply a year from now one may not even see F on that route anymore.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:28 am
Kll

First time poster, long time lurker. Love learning from everyone here about rewards available on Alaska for Cathay. I have a general question - Has anyone had any luck securing a Business class flight using Alaska for HKG-SYD? I want to book a flight for next month, but it seems even trying to book a couple days out is not a possibility. The Alaska agent said she has been working at Alaska for over 10 years and has rarely seen Business available on that segment.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your response!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:14 am

Hi -

You are basically going standby; that is, they will only open a J seat a day or two in advance when the cabin has several empty seats.

Generally, midweek better than weekend, but you will have to just sweat it out. Once a seat opened up for me 15 hours in advance.

The other option is to try to get them at the initial booking window.

And welcome to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.