Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by lingecw
It is a bit confusing for me. What is the definition of AS saver award?
For YYC-LAX, I saw spaces available for 7.5K, 10K, 12.5K and more. Are all spaces lower than 12.5K are saver spaces or only 7.5K is considered saver space?

On certain days, the lowest seat is priced as 12.5K, is it a saver space then?

How about the business class, how many points is considered saver space?

Thanks for any help.
12.5K or less means saver coach is available. The lower amounts are extra special saver rates for short "domestic" AS only awards. If any of those are available it means saver "W" space is available.

25K for first is considered saver F and eligible to be used of F/J partner awards as well.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
12.5K or less means saver coach is available. The lower amounts are extra special saver rates for short "domestic" AS only awards. If any of those are available it means saver "W" space is available.

25K for first is considered saver F and eligible to be used of F/J partner awards as well.
Thanks for tbe clear up.

Does anyone know if there is any pattern that AS release their saver award?
I noticed that there are many saver awards in May next year, but almost none in June.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
No, I will call again and try and use the trick. I should note, both flights leave after 1am and not between midnight and 1am.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Had an issue where AS agent couldn't see a F seat on 889, the JFK-YVR flight, for multiple days in January. BA showed 1 seat open. Was able to see J seats with two open seats listed.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by dguruswamy
So I called today trying to find availability on 8/8 or 8/9 from JFK to SIN via HKG in J (I know I will have to wait until last minute for F and that is risky given AS issues with last minute partner awards).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:20 pm

So I called today trying to find availability on 8/8 or 8/9 from JFK to SIN via HKG in J (I know I will have to wait until last minute for F and that is risky given AS issues with last minute partner awards).
Called again tonight. This time they had the 10am CX flight available on August 9 in business class. I really wanted to leave a day earlier (August 8) so I will keep checking and hope that availability opens up on August 8.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Can AS drop a segment on a CX award and reprice, or not?

All - ticketed SGNHKGJFK on CX, 50k in J.

May want to drop the HKGJFK segment before departure and reprice the SGNHKG @ 22.5k in J. Assuming at that point no more SGNHKG awards will be available.

On Emirates, I believe awards have to still be offered on ALL segments in order to add/delete segments. In other words, you are basically throwing out the award and starting from scratch (though there are reports of intrepid agents getting around this).

For Cathay, will Alaska have any trouble dropping just the long-haul segment and re-pricing, without discarding my short haul award?

Thanks - Jamie
It should work fine. That said, I have never done it for CX. With a JL award dropping a segment meant I had to call in to change it (tried online and it told me I needed to call in) and it took 15-20 minutes for them to reprice and confirm the ticket but it was no problem, I kept a segment that did not have current award availability and was able to keep the space.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Why can't Alaska just make CX awards bookable online! Quantas and BA can do it
It's nice that CX isn't bookable online, since it keeps availability somewhat open. I do agree that it would be far more convenient to be able to search and book online, but it also would introduce far more competition for the already limited number of seats there are.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by quemalo
It's nice that CX isn't bookable online, since it keeps availability somewhat open. I do agree that it would be far more convenient to be able to search and book online, but it also would introduce far more competition for the already limited number of seats there are.
Considering AS has never gotten Emirates correct online. It would be a loss of even more CX space
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:41 pm

Have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
Yes, got the 1:35 am flight from EWR to HKG and the 1:45am flight from JFK to HKG to show up using the workaround.

But that raised another issue. I was told that any flights beyond Hong Kong required TWO awards, so JFK/EWR to SIN would be 72.5K in business (50K NA to Asia, and 22.5k intra-asia). Based on that, I might be better off using Avios for the connecting flight. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:54 pm

It should work fine. That said, I have never done it for CX. With a JL award dropping a segment meant I had to call in to change it (tried online and it told me I needed to call in) and it took 15-20 minutes for them to reprice and confirm the ticket but it was no problem, I kept a segment that did not have current award availability and was able to keep the space.
Thanks for this. Just trying to contingency plan for HKGJFK in the event I need to book with AA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, got the 1:35 am flight from EWR to HKG and the 1:45am flight from JFK to HKG to show up using the workaround.

But that raised another issue. I was told that any flights beyond Hong Kong required TWO awards, so JFK/EWR to SIN would be 72.5K in business (50K NA to Asia, and 22.5k intra-asia). Based on that, I might be better off using Avios for the connecting flight. Any thoughts?
Why is that? How long is your layover at HKG? longer than 24 hours or the system could not account correctly the total hours of layover due to the workaround that has to use the date before?

If it is the above and you MUST use the flights that only show up with the workaround, Avios would be the option - you need to actually price it out to see which is better (considering the cash outlay, the cost of miles/Avios and how easy to get the "currency", just to name a few).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:57 pm

Wrong. On the agent's part.

Could feeding the departure time to the award request unlock CX flights later in the day?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Wrong. On the agent's part.

Could feeding the departure time to the award request unlock CX flights later in the day?
Please note the agents could NOT see the availability if using the Correct date. Must use the Previous date in order for the agents see the flight , or rather, the system displays the flight.

I believe the system prices it wrong due to the workaround method to make those flights to show up (to use the date BEFORE the actual date for those flights that just pass the midnight clock but not quite reach the stupid ticketing system considers the next day), so the agent sees it being 2 awards. Manual override if AS even has such a thing, would be the only way to ticket it as one award it so seems.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Please note the agents could NOT see the availability if using the Correct date. Must use the Previous date in order for the agents see the flight , or rather, the system displays the flight.

I believe the system prices it wrong due to the workaround method to make those flights to show up (to use the date BEFORE the actual date for those flights that just pass the midnight clock but not quite reach the stupid ticketing system considers the next day), so the agent sees it being 2 awards. Manual override if AS even has such a thing, would be the only way to ticket it as one award it so seems.
That makes total sense. Good call.

Do we think feeding the time will help unlock flights at 4p?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.