Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tamos
Don't know (can't seem to find the answer) if this has been asked before:
The award chart mentions Hawaii to Asia on (partly) CX F should be 70k miles, so is it possible to redeem HNL-LAX on AS and LAX-HKG on CX (or vice versa) in 1 itinerary or not? The website mentions you can add a free AS leg on the mainland and the amount of miles is the same for continental US as for Hawaii...
...bump Anyone knows if Hawai-LAX-HKG is considered (and thus redeemable) as 1 itinerary?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
...bump Anyone knows if Hawai-LAX-HKG is considered (and thus redeemable) as 1 itinerary?
AS does not fly HNL-LAX. VX does, but at the moment is considered a partner, and you can't have two partners on an award.

I have used an AA Europe award to redeem for Hawaii, yes (but my plans changed and I went to Mexico instead) with an extended stay in SEA. I have not done so with a CX award yet.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:25 pm

I just called Alaska mileage plan to book 2 business seats sfo-hongkong jun 2018, and was told none was available. British airline, jal showed at least 10 seats available for those dates. What should I do? Do I try to call everyday? As of right now, I have 100k in Alaska mileage plan, 100k in Starwood, 140k in MR. I need 2 business tix to south east asia in jun 2018. Please help.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by newbees
I just called Alaska mileage plan to book 2 business seats sfo-hongkong jun 2018, and was told none was available. British airline, jal showed at least 10 seats available for those dates. What should I do? Do I try to call everyday? As of right now, I have 100k in Alaska mileage plan, 100k in Starwood, 140k in MR. I need 2 business tix to south east asia in jun 2018. Please help.
Was your date past June 19?

And did you check JAL awards?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Was your date past June 19?

And did you check JAL awards?
I asked the Alaska agent to check June 1-19, 2018, but there was none available. Yes, I checked with jal and Britishairway. From Jal, there were 3 flights for June 19 with 10 seats available, but Alaska saw none of that. I was told that Alaska had a different relationship with Cathay.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:40 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
Trying to book F to ORD for late August.
Flightexpert shows F5 for all of the dates.

When would I be able to book them??

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by qsh
Trying to book F to ORD for late August.
Flightexpert shows F5 for all of the dates.

When would I be able to book them??

Thanks!
T-10 or T-14 normally, but since it's late august, highly subject to the loadings in W and Y -> if full, most likely not going to release anything to partners at all
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
T-10 or T-14 normally, but since it's late august, highly subject to the loadings in W and Y -> if full, most likely not going to release anything to partners at all
Late August always a challenge due school return. I've never gotten more than 2 F awards departing HKG for US in the last week of the month. And the second was day of departure. Just be ready for a battle. Good luck!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by newbees
I asked the Alaska agent to check June 1-19, 2018, but there was none available. Yes, I checked with jal and Britishairway. From Jal, there were 3 flights for June 19 with 10 seats available, but Alaska saw none of that. I was told that Alaska had a different relationship with Cathay.
JL ORDNRT J on June 4, 13, 19. Use the Alaska site.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Late August always a challenge due school return. I've never gotten more than 2 F awards departing HKG for US in the last week of the month. And the second was day of departure. Just be ready for a battle. Good luck!
Maybe qsh will be unhappy if I happen to have bought an A class seat on their desired date
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:42 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Maybe qsh will be unhappy if I happen to have bought an A class seat on their desired date
Thanks for the reply.
No worries lah. My date is likely a week earlier than what you are thinking And I would be able to meet an experienced FTer in real life.
I just hope that CX start triple flights to YYZ, so I don't have to route through JNB or ORD or BOS...
Should have booked 24th when I saw F6.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS does not fly HNL-LAX. VX does, but at the moment is considered a partner, and you can't have two partners on an award.

I have used an AA Europe award to redeem for Hawaii, yes (but my plans changed and I went to Mexico instead) with an extended stay in SEA. I have not done so with a CX award yet.
Thank you for answering!
The goal is to redeem this for july '18. I will ofc focus on the most difficult LAX-HKG leg on CX F. Hopefully, at that time, VX operated flights such as OGG-LAX and HNL-LAX will be(come) 'fully' operated by AS and redeemable on 1 itinerary. In that case: anyone knows when the take-over of VX by AS will be completed ?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thank you for answering!
The goal is to redeem this for july '18. I will ofc focus on the most difficult LAX-HKG leg on CX F. Hopefully, at that time, VX operated flights such as OGG-LAX and HNL-LAX will be(come) 'fully' operated by AS and redeemable on 1 itinerary. In that case: anyone knows when the take-over of VX by AS will be completed ?
Originally scheduled for 2019. I think they are trying to finish sometime in 2018.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
HKG - YYZ

Hi everyone, I am looking to redeem a flight for my mother, HKG-YYZ in mid August (Aug 13 ideally)

When I check Expertflyer today, I see the following:
J9 C9 D9 I7 W7 R5 E0 Y9 B9 H5 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I would love to get her a business seat, but any would do eventually. What are the chances that more award tickets will come out? T-14? T-10?

I am planning to buy her a refundable ticket as a safety, and wait for award tickets to come out, but if the chances are too slim, I might consider buying her a non-refundable instead.

Appreciate any help.
Peter
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thank you for answering!
The goal is to redeem this for july '18. I will ofc focus on the most difficult LAX-HKG leg on CX F. Hopefully, at that time, VX operated flights such as OGG-LAX and HNL-LAX will be(come) 'fully' operated by AS and redeemable on 1 itinerary.
I wouldn't exactly count on AS making F or even Y available on award for LAX-OGG/HNL (in fact, my experience is it is EASIER to find award inventory continental USA->SE Asia on a low-priced award than it is continental USA->Hawaii). The nonstop doesn't have a ton of award inventory that I see. You may have to route LAX-SJC/PDX/SEA-OGG/HNL.

Originally Posted by sincera4565
Hi everyone, I am looking to redeem a flight for my mother, HKG-YYZ in mid August (Aug 13 ideally)

When I check Expertflyer today, I see the following:
J9 C9 D9 I7 W7 R5 E0 Y9 B9 H5 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I would love to get her a business seat, but any would do eventually. What are the chances that more award tickets will come out? T-14? T-10?

I am planning to buy her a refundable ticket as a safety, and wait for award tickets to come out, but if the chances are too slim, I might consider buying her a non-refundable instead.

Appreciate any help.
Peter
CX is the airline releasing award inventory, not AS. So maybe ask the experts in the CX forum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.