Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
Ask the agent if transferring you to the partner desk would be more helpful (despite there is no more partner desk in reality)
Every time I called for CX awards, I state from the beginning that I'm calling to book an award on CX. I am immediately asked to hold so I could be transeferred to the partner desk. All without specifically asking. That was even after the partner desk number started redirecting to the normal line. It's been several months since I've booked a CX award but i did have to ask the agent on my last one to search the day before and after due to the 1am ex BOS flight
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Europe:

You missed out MAD
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by atojbk
does Alaska allow you to hold anymore? Don't want to transfer points if this phantom issue persists and I'm stuck.
I'm not sure as to their official policy, but when I called in a month ago to book awards, the agent was willing and able to hold a ticket for me.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by almost.victoria
I'm not sure as to their official policy, but when I called in a month ago to book awards, the agent was willing and able to hold a ticket for me.
thanks. Struck out on all my CX dates for 2 seats in J. The rep checked +/- 4 days of my dates in April 2018 and couldn't find anything open.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding the award charts on https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx

When I select Asia to Australia, Business cabin shows up for 30,000 AS miles from Hong Kong to Australia - do I have to book the award from Hong Kong or can it begin from any Asian city served by Cathay (e.g. Singapore) and connect via HK?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by markcwj
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding the award charts on https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx

When I select Asia to Australia, Business cabin shows up for 30,000 AS miles from Hong Kong to Australia - do I have to book the award from Hong Kong or can it begin from any Asian city served by Cathay (e.g. Singapore) and connect via HK?
Any Asian city served by Cathay within Alaska's definition of the region (look at the little map on their site when selecting regions).
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markcwj
Hong Kong means Hong Kong. To start from elsewhere in Asia, you will need a second intra-Asia award to HKG.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kieron
Hong Kong means Hong Kong. To start from elsewhere in Asia, you will need a second intra-Asia award to HKG.
Wrong. Since HK is within Alaska's "Asia" region, one can fly anywhere within the AS-defined region to Australia, so long as it's all CX.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 54austin
Wrong. Since HK is within Alaska's "Asia" region, one can fly anywhere within the AS-defined region to Australia, so long as it's all CX.
Please review the routing rules posted in the wiki article at the top of this thread.

• The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG).
This is why the award charts have CX prices listed from "Continental U.S. to Asia", but "Hong Kong to Australia".
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Any Asian city served by Cathay within Alaska's definition of the region (look at the little map on their site when selecting regions).
Ignore what the map looks like or you are in for a disappointment. It's not an accurate depiction of regions (which are partner specific). AS needs to get rid of it since it causes so much incorrect info to fly around. The actual written chart is what you want to reference.If you select Asia to Australia it will state Hong Kong to Australia.

If you want to see how screwed up the map is, compare Middle East to Continental US and Asia to Continental US. Both show the Middle East highlighted, yet if you look at the miles required for the different classes of service for CX, you will see different amounts. How can UAE and Saudi Arabia both be in Middle East and Asia at the same time???? Easy they aren't. The Map is just not to be trusted.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually you are wrong. Sure you can fly anywhere in Asia on CX thru Hong Kong to Australia with TWO awards if that is what you mean. Obviously you dont mean that...

The award charts with specific wordings overrule the maps which AS is very sloppy puts up on its site as the maps are INACCURATE and Misleading.

This issue of misleading maps has been discussed dozens of time in this thread - DONT use the map, READ the actual rules which are what matter.

The wiki is here to help people to better understand how AS Award Charts work, why people dont use it if people have questions?!

Instead of quickly telling others wrong, you really should learn how AS award charts first. It is Partner Specific. The words in the award charts matter, as Kieron points out, Hong Kong means Hong Kong, NOT Asia.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone - will look at the actual wordings instead!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by callmedtop
On a side note, it does appear that CX840 is a very tough flight to get with AS miles, no matter what.
Damn - that's the one I want to take. But I'm seeing availability every day 11 months in advance (through Qantas) - hopefully that adds to my advantage - even though availability won't be the same, thanks.

Last edited by jubbing; Jul 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:02 am

I am new to Alaska Mileage Plan, and am planning to take Cathay Pacific to get to BKK and stopover in HKG for a few days from YYC next summer. Then return from BKK to stopover in HKG again for another few days before getting back to YYC.

Am I allowed to stop over HKG for a few days twice?

Am I correct that I can get an economy ticket travelling from YYC to BKK for 30000 points? i.e. YYC-SEA-SFO-HKG-BKK?

I know that I can only takes Alaska airline from YYC to SFO, but I heard that there is more restriction, i.e. I can only get the saver awards from YYC to SFO. When I use Alaska Airline website to search for seats between YYC and SFO, how do I know which one is saver award?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.