Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Has anyone else noticed that they never release any saver award space from Chicago to Seattle or Dallas to Seattle or any destination that's in the central or eastern part of United States?
Oh I definitely have. I clicked through MONTHS of the award calendar and the only AS metal ex-DFW I found with saver Y/F was the stupidly early 6:30am flight. You want to fly during daylight hours, that's gonna be extra. IAH is the same way, they virtually never release saver seats on the IAH-SEA flight. Not saying they don't, but it isn't common.

In all likelihood I'll probably just wind up booking a DFW-SFO flight on UA and killing 7-8 hours at the airport.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Has anyone else noticed that they never release any saver award space from Chicago to Seattle or Dallas to Seattle or any destination that's in the central or eastern part of United States?
Can't say that I have. Booked Dallas-Seattle for my parents last year, and had it booked temporarily for myself a couple of months ago, until I changed it to go from LAX. Both attached to partner awards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have not noticed it. Booked saver Y ORD-SEA for 10k (!) at one point then turned it into Saver VX F ORD-LAX-SEA for an additional 15k. Figured one last swing in VXF...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Calculon
Booked Dallas-Seattle
As have I.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Go check ORD-SEA. Literally ZERO saver space for months out. Makes it extremely annoying because you cannot catch the ORD-HKG-ORD flight on CX.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Jun 30, 2017 at 5:06 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:08 am
Suspended

None of the F space corresponding to the QF tool is available on Alaska. Specifically on July 7,8,9 from HKG-LAX. QF and BA shows multiple flights in F on those dates. AS can only book the 8th at 9:25am flight in F.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Go check ORD-SEA. Literally ZERO saver space for months out. Makes it extremely annoying because you cannot catch the ORD-HKG-ORD flight on CX.
None, huh?
Attached Images  

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 30, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
None, huh?
Not the only destination either. JFK, EWR, ATL are all very similar. The only one where saver space is plentiful is LAX and SFO, and YVR somewhat.

It's annoying because that ORD-HKG-ORD CX flight almost always has F space.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:14 pm

Not the only destination either. JFK, EWR, ATL are all very similar. The only one where saver space is plentiful is LAX and SFO, and YVR somewhat.

It's annoying because that ORD-HKG-ORD CX flight almost always has F space.
It would help if you posted a screen shot, with other relevant details like the number of passengers.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calculon
It would help if you posted a screen shot, with other relevant details like the number of passengers.
Why would that be helpful? You have two hands and an award availability tool at your disposal.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:05 pm

Why would that be helpful? You have two hands and an award availability tool at your disposal.
it would help us help you.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Because otherwise it's unclear what you mean by "literally ZERO saver space"? ec already pointed out the saver Y space, but the saver F space for that month is even better:

At least one flight every single day of the month! Mostly the early flight, but checking a few days at random turns up others as well.

Last edited by Kieron; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 pm Reason: fixed image
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kieron
Because otherwise it's unclear what you mean by "literally ZERO saver space"? ec already pointed out the saver Y space, but the saver F space for that month is even better:

At least one flight every single day of the month! Mostly the early flight, but checking a few days at random turns up others as well.
We already had this conversation above. Please post the AS availability for ORD-SEA for the months of July and August. There is Zero!

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Oh I definitely have. I clicked through MONTHS of the award calendar and the only AS metal ex-DFW I found with saver Y/F was the stupidly early 6:30am flight. You want to fly during daylight hours, that's gonna be extra. IAH is the same way, they virtually never release saver seats on the IAH-SEA flight. Not saying they don't, but it isn't common.

In all likelihood I'll probably just wind up booking a DFW-SFO flight on UA and killing 7-8 hours at the airport.
Also as krazykanuck has noted this is the case in many other midwestern cities. Yes if you want to plan a trip 4 months out then it doesn't look to be a problem. But some people don't have that luxury of booking so far out.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
We already had this conversation above. Please post the AS availability for ORD-SEA for the months of July and August. There is Zero!
8/23 AS27 economy saver 10k miles

That's the first one I found, but it took me all of thirty seconds.

However, that's moving the goalposts. This is the first time you've added a close-in time request (and it's no surprise that award saver space is going to be tough to find close-in during the peak summer travel season!); that is obviously very different from a blanket "never release any saver award space" claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.