Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Both BA and QF are showing 4 seats but the agent can't see them. They can only see seats on flights which have 7-8 CX J seats as available. On them they can see -4 what BA shows.

I am new to this FF program, should I try again? Does what CX offer BA reflect what Alaska can get?

Last edited by onlysuites; Mar 14, 2017 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes, there's extensive posts in both CX threads that BA inventory doesn't always match what AS sees.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, there's extensive posts in both CX threads that BA inventory doesn't always match what AS sees.
Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:36 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I have been looking for those flights (HKG-TLV) on CX via the BA site, and it never shows anything either
Was able to grab a date in December using BA.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Both BA and QF are showing 4 seats but the agent can't see them. They can only see seats on flights which have 7-8 CX J seats as available. On them they can see -4 what BA shows.

I am new to this FF program, should I try again? Does what CX offer BA reflect what Alaska can get?
Some report problems, some of us never have problems. I search segment by segment and call them in segment by segment. I always fly solo so not sure if that is why i have much better luck than others.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:46 am

Just let a HKG-LAX F award go on 31 December if anyone wants to try for it. Looks to have gone back into JL inventory right away.

On another note, was booking a J award and JL was showing 4 seats available and AS could only see 1.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Some report problems, some of us never have problems. I search segment by segment and call them in segment by segment. I always fly solo so not sure if that is why i have much better luck than others.
I always give segment by segment anyway but this is a simple AMS-HKG. Flight shows up on JL, BA and QF but not on Alaska. Will try every few days as others have mentioned it can take some time till the systems sync. The flight I want wasn't available until yesterday.

Is there a way to seat up a seat alert for when seats get released on CX?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried 24hrs later and the same results. The Wednesday flight showing 4 but Alaska only has 1 available and the Friday showing 3 with Alaska having none.

Thats 6 calls over 24hrs so definitely availability is different to Alaska then OW members.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Just called in to book CX LAX-HKG in PE using AS miles. Great program and deal. Two questions:

1) The agent charged me $12.50 + $15.00 + $5.60 in taxes and fees. I believe the first was a partner award fee, the second a phone booking fee. I asked for the phone booking fee to be waived, and the agent said this was not possible. Is this right?

2) I asked the agent, after booking the award, to add my AA FFN so I could enjoy the benefits of Oneworld sapphire status. She said this was not possible. Is this right?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:26 am

After checking every couple of days for a J JNB-HKG on a certain date, two seats magically appeared at exactly T-173 days. Is this normal release pattern for CX or just likely a couple cancelled?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Hi -

The latter.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:17 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ralphs
Just called in to book CX LAX-HKG in PE using AS miles. Great program and deal. Two questions:

1) The agent charged me $12.50 + $15.00 + $5.60 in taxes and fees. I believe the first was a partner award fee, the second a phone booking fee. I asked for the phone booking fee to be waived, and the agent said this was not possible. Is this right?

2) I asked the agent, after booking the award, to add my AA FFN so I could enjoy the benefits of Oneworld sapphire status. She said this was not possible. Is this right?
A case of HUCA. I would call back and ask for the booking fee to be refunded. Its my understanding that when booking an award flight with AS, AS number can't be removed. That was my experience for all of my AA operated flights to Europe. Had wanted to use the lounge using my AB status
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ralphs

1) Based on past experience they only waive the phone booking fee for MVPG and 75K members, even though CX is only bookable by phone

2) Don't bother with asking AS to enter your AA FFP number. You can easily do it using the CX website.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
A case of HUCA. I would call back and ask for the booking fee to be refunded. Its my understanding that when booking an award flight with AS, AS number can't be removed. That was my experience for all of my AA operated flights to Europe. Had wanted to use the lounge using my AB status
AS doesn't waive the phone fee except for AS MVPG+. You might be able to change the # online (CX's website).
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS doesn't waive the phone fee except for AS MVPG+. You might be able to change the # online (CX's website).
Mom has booked 2 awards in the last month and both times agents waived the fee. She is a former MVPG but no longer has status

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.