Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability Ė 2017 and Later

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability Ė 2017 and Later

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America


Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 1, 19, 2:25 am
  #3031  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: NZ
Posts: 639
Originally Posted by tkwpenguin View Post
I am trying to book SFO to HKG in J. but find nothing on BA.com. not even in 2019 November. am I doing something wrong?
CX inadvertently released an error fare Vietnam/North America in J and F classes yesterday, which has created a LOT of interest and bookings over the past 18 hours:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-j-1100-f.html

CX responded by pulling all F and J availability for 2019 from HKG to points in North America. I assume that availability will be restored when they have sorted out these error fare bookings.

This is probably why you are not seeing any J or F availability .
minz56 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:07 am
  #3032  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC, LAX, Seattle, Dubai... or just on a plane
Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 1,279
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
CX inadvertently released an error fare Vietnam/North America in J and F classes yesterday, which has created a LOT of interest and bookings over the past 18 hours:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-j-1100-f.html

CX responded by pulling all F and J availability for 2019 from HKG to points in North America. I assume that availability will be restored when they have sorted out these error fare bookings.

This is probably why you are not seeing any J or F availability .
Yes, in the next coming days donít expect seeing many awards open. It has yet to be seen if this fare will be honoured (of which I have one). But if it is, premium award availability ainít gonna be great and will literally all be last minute.

What I would advise people is that from what Iíve seen, since people wanted to either A) maximize miles or B) return to a convenient city close to home, most people booked YVR,JFK,BOS, and LAX. Therefore I would think ORD would be open with the most flights.
NWplatinum is online now  
Old Jan 1, 19, 7:49 am
  #3033  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,822
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
I do not see a mention in the wiki that TPE-MLE is two awards. Which part of the wiki were you referring to? If AS treats MLE as Asia it should be one award shouldn't it? Asia-Asia. From the map on the AS award chart page it looks like MLE is included in the AS definition of Asia. The map includes all of India and Sri Lanka in Asia.
Did you see the part where the map can be misleading? I’d post a screenshot but because FT is complete garbage and drops the attachment, I’ll just have to say there is a HKG-India and HKG-Middle East award separate from Asia. There has been for years (since before AS used that stupid misleading thing they use now). Go look up Asia-India using the chart if you don’t believe me. CX business is 30k HKG-India.






Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 1, 19 at 7:54 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:37 am
  #3034  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 1,110
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Did you see the part where the map can be misleading?

No, actually I did not see that part. I looked again and I still do not see it in the wiki. Which part of the wiki mentions the map is misleading? If it is not there we should probably add it.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Iíd post a screenshot but because FT is complete garbage and drops the attachment, Iíll just have to say there is a HKG-India and HKG-Middle East award separate from Asia. There has been for years (since before AS used that stupid misleading thing they use now). Go look up Asia-India using the chart if you donít believe me. CX business is 30k HKG-India.
No need for a screenshot. I see exactly what you mention with the map and now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. AS really should clean up its award map because it is confusing.
skimthetrees is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:36 am
  #3035  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,822
“The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 2:05 pm
  #3036  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post


Yes, in the next coming days donít expect seeing many awards open. It has yet to be seen if this fare will be honoured (of which I have one). But if it is, premium award availability ainít gonna be great and will literally all be last minute.

What I would advise people is that from what Iíve seen, since people wanted to either A) maximize miles or B) return to a convenient city close to home, most people booked YVR,JFK,BOS, and LAX. Therefore I would think ORD would be open with the most flights.
I would be stunned if these fares are honored.
kapooncha is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 4:02 pm
  #3037  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,822
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
I would be stunned if these fares are honored.
I’m sure CX is going to be thrilled to have 50-75% of their US-HKG inventory for most of a year nicked by people paying 5 to10% of the ordinary price.

Queue the whiners once the tickets get yanked...

eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:32 pm
  #3038  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post


Iím sure CX is going to be thrilled to have 50-75% of their US-HKG inventory for most of a year nicked by people paying 5 to10% of the ordinary price.

Queue the whiners once the tickets get yanked...

I could see them honoring if it had just been J. But all those F tickets, they would be losing some tremendous revenue. They just can't honor, even if they wanted to.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
kapooncha is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:59 pm
  #3039  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SAN
Programs: AS MVPG, DL Silver, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
I could see them honoring if it had just been J. But all those F tickets, they would be losing some tremendous revenue. They just can't honor, even if they wanted to.
I just hope award inventory is back to normal next week when Iíll be looking to book for December.
wolfpacktrojan is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:14 pm
  #3040  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 40
I'm pretty screwed by this, but mostly just bad luck and unfortunate timing on my end, trying to book a last minute CX award home.

Currently in Bangkok on a short holiday and have been watching award inventory to book a last minute J/F CX award flight home to SFO via HKG 2-3 day stopover sometime between tomorrow and Tues. For the last several days, I'd search QF/BA and some last minute J/F HKG-SFO CX awards would appear around 1-3 days out, was just waiting another day or two for a Sun or Mon award to appear, but that's certainly not happening anymore, since all instantly vanished with this debacle. Not holding my breath to use any CX award to get home by next Mon or Tues.

I came over here on a lovely JAL F ticket SFO-HND for a holiday stopover in Japan, and then a JAL J ticket HND-BKK for a stay here in Thailand, on the same award using 75k AS miles.

Oh well, I'll figure out how to get home to SF on AS miles somehow, have plenty enough for an EK F ticket back to SFO, but that wasn't the plan. If anyone sees any other options or has some interesting suggestions, short of a laundry ship, I'm all ears!

Thanks and hope this works out okay for everyone.
mixmastermark is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:37 pm
  #3041  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,140
Originally Posted by mixmastermark View Post
IOh well, I'll figure out how to get home to SF on AS miles somehow, have plenty enough for an EK F ticket back to SFO, but that wasn't the plan. If anyone sees any other options or has some interesting suggestions, short of a laundry ship, I'm all ears!

Thanks and hope this works out okay for everyone.
mixmastermark likes this.
percysmith is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:41 pm
  #3042  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Well, he mentioned EK F so I'm pretty sure economy (or premium economy) isn't what he wants to do, lol.
kapooncha is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:50 pm
  #3043  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 40
Lol, true. But at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Nice to know there are still options out there to get home as a last resort. Thank you both, much appreciated!
mixmastermark is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:18 am
  #3044  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
I could see them honoring if it had just been J. But all those F tickets, they would be losing some tremendous revenue. They just can't honor, even if they wanted to.
Well, looks like they can and will honor it! Details in the discussion in the mileage run discussion forum but basically this is it:

It will be interesting to see how this will affect award availability. I'm glad I already have my award for March booked.
mixmastermark likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:48 am
  #3045  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Well, looks like they can and will honor it! Details in the discussion in the mileage run discussion forum but basically this is it: https://twitter.com/cathaypacific/st...73505806426114

It will be interesting to see how this will affect award availability. I'm glad I already have my award for March booked.
That's unbelievable. Award availability is going to royally suck for 2019.
kapooncha is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread