Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by econ
For an upcoming trip in CX F booked with AS miles, is there any benefit (or even possible) to change my FF# on the reservation to my AA (OWE) one at check-in?

Couldn't think of any obvious benefit (not miles earning, get same lounge access), but just wanted to check in case I'm forgetting something.
Can't hurt if you're OWE, but, if you're on F, can't think of any obvious benefit. Regardless of OWE status, as a redemption, you can't select 2A or 2K, which are usually reserved for revenue pax. If not allowed online, as an F pax, you can call and certainly select other seats, which they'll be more than happy to do. Purser will make small talk with each F pax, so the OWE recognition stuff is irrelevant. Lounge invite is on your boarding pax, so OWE again is irrelevant.

I probably wouldn't bother, not really worth the effort, if you're F.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I used OWE to get 3 checked bags for both me and my companion. Came in handy post-Christmas. None of the staff mentioned it onboard in F, but as mentioned earlier, there's no point imo due to the high level of individual attention anyways.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Trying to piece together a trip to the Maldives. Can you layover in hong kong on the way to maldives with Cathay?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by brentyb
Trying to piece together a trip to the Maldives. Can you layover in hong kong on the way to maldives with Cathay?
yes
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by brentyb
It depends on the award. Only North America awards offer a stopover, like it says in the wiki. Some itineraries would be two awards (Australia-HKG-MLE, for instance). In effect you can build a stopover because it’s two awards.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:21 pm

Has anyone been able to find award space HKG-SEA on the new spring route?
The Qantas tool seem unaware that there is a forth coming HKG-SEA.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sinecure
Has anyone been able to find award space HKG-SEA on the new spring route?
The Qantas tool seem unaware that there is a forth coming HKG-SEA.
If you mean using AS, no. AS agents, as usual of late, can see nothing, even when there are 4 J seats shown on ba.com. (I tried several agents.)

The availability on BA can be booked by calling AA. (I have SIN-HKG-SEA booked and ticketed in J. I can live with using 70k AA miles while waiting to see if AS miles will ever be useful again.)

Last edited by Kremmen; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:13 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
If you mean using AS, no. AS agents, as usual of late, can see nothing, even when there are 4 J seats shown on ba.com. (I tried several agents.)

The availability on BA can be booked by calling AA. (I have SIN-HKG-SEA booked and ticketed in J. I can live with using 70k AA miles while waiting to see if AS miles will ever be useful again.)
This happened to me a couple of months ago. Then, a couple of days later, I called back and they could see the space, and I booked my ticket.

I'm not sure if there is some technical issue that is causing it to disappear and then reappear, or if many agents are just doing something wrong. I'm guessing it's the former.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: TK Elite, IHG Gold, Accor Silver, Ex-Malev Platinum (RIP)
AS Newbie (albeit one who has tried to read the FAQ/threads) here!

I am trying to redeem an AS reward for the first time. Specifically one ticket one-way CX J HKG-SYD for mid January.

Not being AS savvy, I called the call center - but no luck with availability. Then looked at the FT AS board, joined up CX Asia Miles and looked for their availability around mid-Jan. No availability it seems.

So, questions for you AS veterans.

1. Am I trying to book too far in advance (or, I suspect, too late)?
2. Is there a reasonable chance, based on your past experiences, that availability will open up between now and mid-Jan? And if so approximately when?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX is not a good website to look at, because some space may be available to them but not to partners (although if they have no availability for their members, that is not a good sign).

You want to use a partner website that will show the availability online. I prefer the BA site for this, although others prefer Qantas. I don't think anyone prefers the JL site

General advice is (1) be VERY flexible with dates, and (2) try to start looking as early as possible (you are currently about 2 weeks before your trip). Of course you never know what will pop up last minute, so keep checking!

I think I read here that HKG-SYD is one of the most difficult CX routes to find availability on. I may be misremembering though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see 2 J tickets on Jan 4. Not exactly "mid January", but that's all I saw for the whole month. If you want them, call AS and grab 'em while you can (assuming that they can see the same availability)
Attached Images  
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:25 pm

VegasGambler - Joining BA site now. Jan 4 a bit too early. But thank-you so much for the advice and effort!

Last edited by Aisleseater; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:25 pm Reason: Spelling error.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aisleseater
2. Is there a reasonable chance, based on your past experiences, that availability will open up between now and mid-Jan? And if so approximately when?
It was always harder to get CX availability to major cities in Australia and recently seems to be almost impossible, even through OW partners. (And much worse than that on AS.)

If you have the time and don't mind the extra flight, the chances are way higher of getting availability to a smaller city, esp. ADL and CNS. (Using AS, you'd have to pay for the connecting flight. Using AA, you could just fly QF as part of the same ticket.)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Aisleseater
AS Newbie (albeit one who has tried to read the FAQ/threads) here!

I am trying to redeem an AS reward for the first time. Specifically one ticket one-way CX J HKG-SYD for mid January.

Not being AS savvy, I called the call center - but no luck with availability. Then looked at the FT AS board, joined up CX Asia Miles and looked for their availability around mid-Jan. No availability it seems.

So, questions for you AS veterans.

1. Am I trying to book too far in advance (or, I suspect, too late)?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.
There probably will be some spotty last minute space released if you are flexible on dates. According to the definitive post in the AA forums CX releases a sweep of close-in inventory on Sunday evenings at around 7:30 PM PST (or depending on who you believe, 6 PM, 6:30 PM, or 7PM) for the following 14 days. Possibly the time varies a little but the takeaway is to search often on Sunday evenings within 14 days of the days you would like to travel. Other reports have flights released X number of days out at exactly the time of day the flight will depart so you might check into that too once a day when you are within 14 days or so of your target date.

I like to search using the Qantas website first because it has a calendar view when you select flexible dates which lets you more easily see a broad range of availability. BA is good for checking a more limited range of dates. Once you find availability on QF or BA (or other) site you can call AS to see if they can book it.
soy, tobikosan and ft543 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:36 pm

Hi all thanks for your great advice. I checked frequently and managed to get a CX J HKG-BNE a few hours ago in mid-January. But this is where the nightmare starts....I get the confirmation email from Alaska, and...

1. I check the reservation with the CX website and it says "Our records indicate that your e-ticket(s) has not been issued yet. Please contact local reservations to issue ticket(s). Otherwise, your booking will be cancelled without further notice."

2. I then call Cathay. They say "Your ticket is not attached to the booking" call Alaska.

3. I call Alaska. No problem with the booking. No we can't discuss directly with Cathay. You must call them back.

4. I call Cathay again. Same statement Ticket not showing up as linked to the booking. Call Alaska and tell them to reissue the ticket.

HELP! Never had this problem before. What does anyone suggest. Very grateful for any advice. Don't want to turn up in HKG and I don't have a seat/reservation has been cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.