Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I assume you're going out of SJC or OAK. No way would I consider a 50 minute connection on SFO-PDX-ORD "comfortable" given the propensity for SFO shorthaul flights to get slammed by ATC holds.
But, if it is an AS caused misconnect AS will rebook you through on CX. I was lead to believe by an AS agent that they can force open an award seat from revenue inventory (even on CX), so long as revenue seats are available, in the case of an AS caused delay causing you to miss your flight.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They did a slight schedule change of the first leg which caused the connection to be too short (they said that 40min is their minimum) so they moved it to SFO - SEA - ORD with a 2.5hr layover. Not bad since I get lounge access, but assuming that SFO-ORD direct eventually has some A space open up, I'll just change it after I'm gold. Or, better yet, maybe some F space will open on JAL 1 and I can just skip ORD altogether.

Standard award stuff -- book something that I'm willing to do as a last resort, and then make changes when something better opens. This is why I value gold quite highly.
I wouldn't do a 40 minute connect SFO-PDX-ORD on a dare even if I think I could change it later, unless I was completely prepared to lose time on my vacation (Narrator: he never wants to do that). Multiple flights SFO-PDX cancelled or delayed 1+ hours today. 2.5 hours connecting into SEA out of SFO is probably OK, though with all the penalty boxes these days I'd have to wonder. My last few flights involving SEA have been late. Shades of me trying UA and VX through SFO...

AS has done SDC for me when I've been on an award and it looks like I could blow the connection, without saver Y required (I suspect you'd likely not get F because it will be upgraded into by then, though you never know). This was without Gold status (I gladly paid $25 to downgrade out of F and go ORD-SEA, to not risk an overnight at MCI). While SDC from one-stop to non-stop is officially discouraged, AS CS is pretty good at being sensible when you go "hey, I'm trying to help you help me".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
But, if it is an AS caused misconnect AS will rebook you through on CX. I was lead to believe by an AS agent that they can force open an award seat from revenue inventory (even on CX), so long as revenue seats are available, in the case of an AS caused delay causing you to miss your flight.
Actually only my return is on CX. My outbound is JAL.

SFO-TYO-BKK on JAL, BKK-HKG-SFO on CX. The SFO - TYO leg currently has 3 segments, but, hoping to cut that down to 2 or 1 as space opens up.

But yes, as it's all one ticket, I expect that they will get me there.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
But, if it is an AS caused misconnect AS will rebook you through on CX.
An ATC hold out of an airport notorious for air traffic control-imposed delays is not an AS-caused delay. Personally, I think it's questionable to accept connections to longhaul once-daily flights at the bare minimum connection time when you're talking about an airport like SFO (or for that matter SEA these days, though 2.5 hours is probably fine). There's "minimum connection time" and "sensible connection time". Also, putting you on the next day's flight doesn't give you that vacation day back, and no airline is going to pay you money you can reimburse for consequential damages like blown hotel reservations, etc., if it's weather/stuff outside the airline's control (which is what an ATC hold out of SFO is most of the time).

This is why although LAX is a dumpster fire compared to SFO I prefer to connect on CX there out of SEA (he said, bringing this back on topic). When it's not runway construction time LAX is way better at not having weather mess it up.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meh. I'm not overly concerned about a 6am flight leaving late. And if it does they have plenty of time to get me there. I don't particularly care about that day in Chicago... sure a night in Chicago will be fun, but that's not the purpose of the trip (I'd rather fly SFO-HND directly).

As for hotel reservations, etc.... first I'm pretty sure that Hyatt will let me cancel with no fee (they have waived stuff like that for me in the past, as a Globalist) and if not, that's why you book with a card that gives you free travel insurance.

It's really not worth stressing over.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Getting ready to book award flights for two people but have a quick question. From previous experience booking CX F with AA miles, I know to book 1F/1J and wait until the 2nd F award opens up around 10 days out.

If I'm flying PVG - HKG (stop) - JFK and I've already taken the PVG - HKG leg, will Alaska still allow me to change the ticket into F if it comes available? Not sure if they have any restriction on changing awards after travel has begun.

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McSam18
Getting ready to book award flights for two people but have a quick question. From previous experience booking CX F with AA miles, I know to book 1F/1J and wait until the 2nd F award opens up around 10 days out.

If I'm flying PVG - HKG (stop) - JFK and I've already taken the PVG - HKG leg, will Alaska still allow me to change the ticket into F if it comes available? Not sure if they have any restriction on changing awards after travel has begun.

Thanks!
The rules for AS awards are no changes once you've flown your first flight on the award, except for IROPS-related changes on day of travel when the operating carrier can do what they need to do to get you to your destination. Also note that minus elite status that any change for an award booked after June 2018 is $125, including rebooking in a different class of service, unless you wanted to pay F mileage in advance in the hopes F opened up (I wouldn't do this, CX availability isn't as good as in the past).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

The rules for AS awards are no changes once you've flown your first flight on the award, except for IROPS-related changes on day of travel when the operating carrier can do what they need to do to get you to your destination. Also note that minus elite status that any change for an award booked after June 2018 is $125, including rebooking in a different class of service, unless you wanted to pay F mileage in advance in the hopes F opened up (I wouldn't do this, CX availability isn't as good as in the past).
hence, book two awards if you can. I routinely book DPSHKG separate from HKGJFK as HKGJFK often opens in F after I land in HKG (an overnight is required on this route, unless you’re willing to deplane in Canada, which I am not).
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

hence, book two awards if you can. I routinely book DPSHKG separate from HKGJFK as HKGJFK often opens in F after I land in HKG (an overnight is required on this route, unless you’re willing to deplane in Canada, which I am not).
Doesn't this mean that you have to pay for two awards rather than one (since the stopover is free)?

Sorry, I'm probably just not understanding you.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Doesn't this mean that you have to pay for two awards rather than one (since the stopover is free)?

Sorry, I'm probably just not understanding you.
I don't think you're misunderstanding. Based on his stories of prior trips, jamienbaker doesn't really want for miles.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
I don't think you're misunderstanding. Based on his stories of prior trips, jamienbaker doesn't really want for miles.
If F is the priority, then yes, book two awards/costs more. It’s a gamble. F could always be released before your first segment. So totally up to the traveler to assess risk/reward. Good luck!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have more miles than I do
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If F is the priority, then yes, book two awards/costs more. It’s a gamble. F could always be released before your first segment. So totally up to the traveler to assess risk/reward. Good luck!

Also J on CX for PVG-HKG is only 15k Avios using the BA Avios frequent flyer program (or less if BA offers the option of using less Avios/more cash). I have done that when I have wanted to use my free stopover on the US side instead of the Asia side. It basically came out to $90 and 8k Avios to fly in CX regional J. That's OK for me.

Unfortunately I don't think OP would be able to use the free stopover on the US side as I have in the past, since they want to go HKG-JFK; if it was West Coast Best Coast OP could do something like HKG-SFO(stop)-PVR/HNL for the same miles as HKG-SFO. But AS isn't keen to do HKG-JFK(stop)-SEA/PDX/California-somewhere (though I guess You Never Know, AS sometimes lets one get through, but the rules say "no using AS positioning flights to/from the West Coast for CX out of JFK/BOS/IAD").
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

[...]

Unfortunately I don't think OP would be able to use the free stopover on the US side as I have in the past, since they want to go HKG-JFK; if it was West Coast Best Coast OP could do something like HKG-SFO(stop)-PVR/HNL for the same miles as HKG-SFO. But AS isn't keen to do HKG-JFK(stop)-SEA/PDX/California-somewhere (though I guess You Never Know, AS sometimes lets one get through, but the rules say "no using AS positioning flights to/from the West Coast for CX out of JFK/BOS/IAD").
Yet they will happily fly you JFK-LAX as part of an EK Award to DXB & beyond or YVR-SEA-JFK for a JL award to TYO & beyond or...., open jaws in the USA? Sure, no problem. From the West Coast and want to spend a week or more on the East Coast via SEA before flying to PVG via SEA? Absolutely, happy to accommodate! So many options "online."

James
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Thanks, this is what I was somewhat afraid of. I’ll use 15k Avios for the PVG-HKG leg to make things easier.
jamienbaker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.