Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I just cant book JL no matter how much I want to try (I did ANA F cubicle a few times). Way too many reports of the heat on board. CX cabin was comfortable.
My family flew JL F last summer. The four of us each brought a small fan, which we then disposed of when we landed at HND. Worked out well, we were comfortable and well rested.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
From my limited experience on two JL long-hauls, I can say that the cabin was definitely a little warm, but knowing that going in I just wore a T-shirt and jeans and never felt uncomfortable.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just like you are sitting in CX J beyond HKG.

James
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

True, but an increasing number of JL interport flights have a real J product, as opposed to regional J on CX. My wife is currently booked JFKHKG in F, HKGSIN in J. But I’m specifically trying to do what you oppose - spend more to route JFKNRT in F, and NRTSIN in a layflat J seat. Food is one of the reasons, too.

Just saying why your post is accurate, there are some of us that do prefer JL over CX, even though it technically reduces the amount of time in F.
Yes it depends on aircraft (eg some HKG-SIN flights served by 359 with real J seats while others a regional 77W) but if I'm going to have to suffer fake J from TYO-SIN or HKG-SIN, I'll fly CX. Now if one is travelling to North Asia, then it's the reverse.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Qf8 f award @ t-153!

If anyone is looking for a QF F award DFW-SYD there is one available for November 15th. They do exist at less than T-330.

Also, I am cancelling JL F HND-LAX for September 27th if anyone wants to see if it returns to inventory.

James
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Was able to book 2xF on the same JL flight JFK-HND last week for January ^
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Yeah, JL is good like that. Plus, if you need more F seats, there is an established release pattern. Down to the very minute. Grabbed four at once last summer.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I booked 2×F on the same JL flight HND-LAX-SEA-YLW last week for March.

James
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I admire you guys who book so many months ahead. Each time I made a booking more than 7 or 8 months out, inevitably something else came up that caused a lot of dilemma on whether to keep the original plan or ditch it and do something else.

Case in point, currently we have a trip to Australia via HKG on the outbound and directly Australia to US on the inbound (QF F booked in late March for travel in Nov). The return is poor timing as it is back to US right in the middle of Thanksgiving week, a forced stopover at LAX and a coach transcon back to Florida. I loath that. What might become the last straw is, right now I see a Trans Ocean Maiden Voyage on the world's latest newest cruise ship, from Europe to South America in Mid November. The ports are very enticing to me, as it would call on Corsica and Canary islands before entering South America with 4 ports in Brazil. I might wound up canceling the QF F and use AA program to fly Australia to EU via DOH instead - IF I could find CX availability HKG to Australia a week earlier... So far this seems to be an impossible feat.

Our ideal trips are those can book no more than 3 to 5 months out. Those were the good old days a few years ago. Readily available, literally no competition.

Unlike some of you enjoying tweaking your long range planning constantly, and wake every night on the last fortnight leading to departure, I dont want to put in this kind of energy and effort. Not worth it.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I admire you guys who book so many months ahead. Each time I made a booking more than 7 or 8 months out, inevitably something else came up that caused a lot of dilemma on whether to keep the original plan or ditch it and do something else.

Case in point, currently we have a trip to Australia via HKG on the outbound and directly Australia to US on the inbound (QF F booked in late March for travel in Nov). The return is poor timing as it is back to US right in the middle of Thanksgiving week, a forced stopover at LAX and a coach transcon back to Florida. I loath that. What might become the last straw is, right now I see a Trans Ocean Maiden Voyage on the world's latest newest cruise ship, from Europe to South America in Mid November. The ports are very enticing to me, as it would call on Corsica and Canary islands before entering South America with 4 ports in Brazil. I might wound up canceling the QF F and use AA program to fly Australia to EU via DOH instead - IF I could find CX availability HKG to Australia a week earlier... So far this seems to be an impossible feat.

Our ideal trips are those can book no more than 3 to 5 months out. Those were the good old days a few years ago. Readily available, literally no competition.

Unlike some of you enjoying tweaking your long range planning constantly, and wake every night on the last fortnight leading to departure, I dont want to put in this kind of energy and effort. Not worth it.
If you don't mind flying QF SYD-MEL, blocked 90 mins, ~$120 ow, I see at least 2 J CX MEL-HKG on the A350 for November 15th. CX 134 08:50-15:15. I haven't checked other dates nor from BNE, also a 90 min flight from SYD.

James
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
If you don't mind flying QF SYD-MEL, blocked 90 mins, ~$120 ow, I see at least 2 J CX MEL-HKG on the A350 for November 15th. CX 134 08:50-15:15. I haven't checked other dates nor from BNE, also a 90 min flight from SYD.

James
Do you see these on Avios site or Qantas' site? And have you had luck actually having them available to AS miles?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm the guy who spent 50K Avios for JFK-YVR over 35K AS
I wouldn't do that. AS miles and Avios come out about the same value for me. AS miles are good for international long-haul and Avios are good for short-haul. The two complement each other well. (I generally spend Avios 10k-20k at a time and AS miles 55k+ at a time.)

Some of us have regular events/conventions/etc that we like to attend. The ones I particularly like to go to decide their dates and locations either one or two years in advance. I may well plan other things around them, but it means I often have dates and locations in mind well before T+330 award opening.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
I admire you guys who book so many months ahead. Each time I made a booking more than 7 or 8 months out, inevitably something else came up that caused a lot of dilemma on whether to keep the original plan or ditch it and do something else..
You have to squeeze the fruit to enjoy the juice.
Fixing dates and sticking to them is an art, I would go as far as to say, a discipline. It is the only way (besides last-minute travel) to get maximum returns for your miles & points. Getting tickets for those nearly impossible itineraries/dates/cabins, then letting it ferment for a few months, before surprising your family/friends/ SNS followers is the juice. If you have a family (hubby/wiffy), best to map out your vacay dates well in advance.
MLK weekend, Memorial weekend, Labor day, Thanksgiving, July 4th, Christmas.... have the "fixed and done", the "maybe's" and the "lets wait and see" vacation ideas up and running at least a year out. Barring sickness/bereavement or a baby, waiting rarely improves any vacation plan.
That is why many, just like I do, book many months in advance.

Of course a lot can happen in between, from getting better deals, to flight cancellations & changes, so you need to tender/water/prune your trip every 2 weeks-1 month. 30 minutes to an hour every other week.

Otherwise, how do you think this hobby makes returns?
Economy class on AA LAX-HNL? Nope.
First/business class on CX LAX - HKG - Bali/Bangkok for the whole family? Hell yeah.
SF1K, jbalmuth, rufflesinc and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I wouldn't do that. AS miles and Avios come out about the same value for me. AS miles are good for international long-haul and Avios are good for short-haul. The two complement each other well. (I generally spend Avios 10k-20k at a time and AS miles 55k+ at a time.)
Well if you are spending AS miles on CX, then you'd likely need to have BA avios to spend on KA!!
Fixing dates and sticking to them is an art, I would go as far as to say, a discipline. It is the only way (besides last-minute travel) to get maximum returns for your miles & points. Getting tickets for those nearly impossible itineraries/dates/cabins, then letting it ferment for a few months,
Sometimes, to make it work out a year in advance, I am only able to fix dates and countries/continents and book the long hauls. Have to either buy/redeem for short hauls or pay change fees a few weeks out to get us to the exact city.

The big plus about redeeming miles (vis a vis cash tickets) is that you can get full refund of your miles with a modest(?) change/cancel fee, sometimes at the very last minute. So there's less risk in planning far ahead.
percysmith, Tokyoite and jinglish like this.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Jun 19, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

I'm looking to book an award flight between December 15-January 3 from Hong Kong to either Brisbane(ideally) or Sydney. I'm looking for 2 tickets in business class. I know the best chances are 330 days out, but this is part of a RTW ticket I'm booking so thats not an option. What are the chances something opens up? I've called Alaska about once a week for the part month to have them check and I've been looking on my own on BA.com. Anything else I can do, or any suggestions of another good award in business class that might have more availability?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
I was talking about canceling the QF F returning to US, and booked an AA award Australia to EU via DOH on QR instead.

However in order to do that, we need to get to Australia 2 weeks earlier than currently booked because I do not want to further cut short our time in Australia. It is already a compromise due to no availability on HKG-Australia despite CX flies 3 daily flights between HKG and SYD/MEL/BNE - there is NOTHING in J available in the whole month of October. I did find a pair J seats to PER but only 2 days earlier than the currently booked to MEL - that aint going to help much. Husband could not care for PER either.

Intra-Oz is not a problem as we have tons of Avios and there are hourly shuttle flights among OZ cities. Problem is there is NO CX availability US-HKG, and HKG-OZ so we could not move our trip up 2 weeks.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 20, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.