Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
“ yes there has been a restriction put onto booking awards with those partners. This is mainly to prevent fraudulent activity. Unfortunately, the terms are very strict and as of right now there will not be exceptions. However, it is a very new process so I am sure there will be revisions at some point. “

DMed Alaska on Twitter
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Are you expletive kidding me! I'm flying BOS-HKG this Thursday in J on CX and was hoping to upgrade to F... Guess that isn't happening. Watch, F will be available tomorrow too.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Are you expletive kidding me! I'm flying BOS-HKG this Thursday in J on CX and was hoping to upgrade to F... Guess that isn't happening. Watch, F will be available tomorrow too.
I feel your pain.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by seawolf
Highly doubt this kind of abuse is the reason. If Alaska is actually processing a refund on a ticket without checking e-ticket coupon status, they got a bigger issue than merely refunding award tickets as you would be able to do the same with a revenue ticket. There are well-established IATA rules for interline e-tickets and if AS is not following them, shame on them.

Agent is making up the part of losing hundreds of dollars up because Alaska was always footing the CX bill. The part they are losing if passenger refunded was an accounting entry for the AS miles which they could always claw back from the member account.

The "abuse" is probably buying miles last minute and redeeming them immediately thereafter; not flying and refunding.
Don’t shoot the messenger. This is what the veteran agent told me yesterday who was booking my F CX award. Whether it’s true or not, I have no idea I’m just relaying what she said.

I have a feeling that since this policy is new if you’re Gold or 75K, and you have good sweet talking persuasion abilities, you could get an agent to move you from J to F if it opens. Obviously it can’t hurt to try.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
This is the first I’ve seen of this. The entire month of March there is no availability in F from HKG-any North American city. I found only one to ORD on March 20th that I snagged. Thr only other one I saw I think was HKG-JFK/BOS(?) March 28th. Usually you can at least find a few days to a few different cities but there is literally zilch the whole month (thus far anyway). Is this because of Chinese New Year or something?
I've also been tracking the month of March and it's a bit worrying. Even with flights that are wide open, no J awards available (and F is obviously even more sparse). Hoping that it's just remenants from the CNY in February as I really need 2xJ/F roundtrip for mid-to-late-March. I've set Awardnexus alerts and will hope for the best.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not sure it will matter, but perhaps a ton of Twitter complaints might make a difference.

I've twitted mine.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 13, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:58 am

Jeez.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Also consistency in what the phone agents can see regarding availability is bizarre now. Usually there was at least some conformity with what AS agents saw, even if it didn't line up with the QF tool, and what OW agents saw, but even that is changing. I was looking for availability to change my departure date from SIN-HKG. I had one agent tell me nothing was available even after giving her specific flights. I called back second agent (who sounded very nice and friendly) told me she could see premium economy but not J (this was for any flight March 16-18) and nothing was aligning with the Qantas tool. Very weird because usually agents tell you availability that does not align with the QF tool, but the AS agents are all usually consistent in what THEY ALL see in their availability.

On my third attempt, the agent very quickly and easily saw availability on the 16th on the 6:50am flight in J. Strange because now calling multiple times will be beneficial.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Also consistency in what the phone agents can see regarding availability is bizarre now. Usually there was at least some conformity with what AS agents saw, even if it didn't line up with the QF tool, and what OW agents saw, but even that is changing. I was looking for availability to change my departure date from SIN-HKG. I had one agent tell me nothing was available even after giving her specific flights. I called back second agent (who sounded very nice and friendly) told me she could see premium economy but not J (this was for any flight March 16-18) and nothing was aligning with the Qantas tool. Very weird because usually agents tell you availability that does not align with the QF tool, but the AS agents are all usually consistent in what THEY ALL see in their availability.

On my third attempt, the agent very quickly and easily saw availability on the 16th on the 6:50am flight in J. Strange because now calling multiple times will be beneficial.
Persistence can be key. @:-)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:24 pm

Without 72 hour availability, am I able to book 3 j CX from YVR to HKG and perhaps to JNB ? Been out the loop for a while. Would prefer to book ten months or eleven months out, but do they usually just release two seats?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
Without 72 hour availability, am I able to book 3 j CX from YVR to HKG and perhaps to JNB ? Been out the loop for a while. Would prefer to book ten months or eleven months out, but do they usually just release two seats?
Supposedly they only release one seat at a time to Alaska. So there could be 4 J seats on a given flight, you have to book one, call back book the second one, call back book the third one etc etc...

So use the BA or QF tool and type in the amount of passengers and then find out how many award seats are available. Also if it has to be Vancouver then ok. But I would consider another city to connect in. Vancouver usually has the least availability with LAX or JFK having the most availability, generally speaking.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:46 am

I just booked a J ticket for my parent, but there is a 8 hours lay over at SFO. They landed around 8:55pm at night and the next flight don't board until 5am in the morning. Is there any lounge they can use during those hours? or any hotel in the airport? I don't want them to leave the airport because I affair they will get lost. They do not speak a lot of English, any advice? thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I just booked a J ticket for my parent, but there is a 8 hours lay over at SFO. They landed around 8:55pm at night and the next flight don't board until 5am in the morning. Is there any lounge they can use during those hours? or any hotel in the airport? I don't want them to leave the airport because I affair they will get lost. They do not speak a lot of English, any advice? thank you!
SFO does not have airside 24 hour lounges or an airside/landside airport hotel- any hotel stay would have your parent leaving the airport. I would strongly recommend you either change the itinerary or use another option (buy a cash ticket that doesn't have a bad layover, even if it's in Y) if you think they're not capable of handling an extended layover. In the end, saving money on a J ticket by using AS miles but having a layover they can't handle isn't really improving the flying experience for your parent.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
SFO does not have airside 24 hour lounges or an airside/landside airport hotel- any hotel stay would have your parent leaving the airport. I would strongly recommend you either change the itinerary or use another option (buy a cash ticket that doesn't have a bad layover, even if it's in Y) if you think they're not capable of handling an extended layover. In the end, saving money on a J ticket by using AS miles but having a layover they can't handle isn't really improving the flying experience for your parent.
I would actually suggest trying for a longer layover. Get a decent night's sleep in a close hotel (e.g. Westin or Marriott) and shoot for a late morning/midday flight out.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Yes but a longer layover they’ll have to find the hotel bus. They’ll have to get to the hotel. They’ll have to check in. Theyll have to ask when the bus goes back and the usual questions. If their English is really that poor it may not be a good idea.

A shorter layover with a paid ticket might be a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.