Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I wish we could find out what's going on here. In the past, I've always found that anything two other partners could see, AS could see. Today I tried to book 1 J seat on flights that both QF and BA show 2 available on and was told that AS sees nothing, except in Y.
5J SGNKG per AA/BA/QF. AS sees just 1.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
5J SGNKG per AA/BA/QF. AS sees just 1.
Wow... I wonder if this is the case where you need to book the 1J that AS sees, and then another will open up for the agent...

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jan 31, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:32 pm

Is this routing allowed? BOS - HKG - ICN

I would like to fly to Seoul using Alaska Miles on CX. I know BOS-HKG-ICN is not the most direct route but it's still only a one stop route from Boston to Seoul.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pandawars

I would like to fly to Seoul using Alaska Miles on CX. I know BOS-HKG-ICN is not the most direct route but it's still only a one stop route from Boston to Seoul.
As long as HKG-ICN stays Cathay metal and not dragon air then yes you can. Its the most direct route on CX since you cant get anywhere on CX from north america without touching HKG
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If you're booking a roundtrip itinerary, you'll likely find much better options on Korean or Delta. If you're going one-way, also look at JAL via Tokyo. Hong Kong is a really long detour. Also, Cathay has slipped in quality a lot, so if you're looking for a premium cabin you'd actually do better on JAL.

Originally Posted by pandawars

Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by TProphet
If you're booking a roundtrip itinerary, you'll likely find much better options on Korean or Delta. If you're going one-way, also look at JAL via Tokyo. Hong Kong is a really long detour. Also, Cathay has slipped in quality a lot, so if you're looking for a premium cabin you'd actually do better on JAL.
KE rarely seems to have space and that's even when its not a blackout date. I did find some for a trip I have coming up but it involves me leaving a week earlier than planned and taking the trip south from BOS to NYC pick up the flight (small possibility of saver on AS to connect to SEA hub but who wants the extra time especially if J/F since CX J/F > AS F/Y). DL is good to avoid since its an outgoing partner. If travel is completed before May 1st shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
~1700 miles, which is not the longest detour you can take for this redemption.

I regularly have to add stuff like this to get to Asia on an AS award, because as mentioned, KE has bad availability out of SEA (boo), HU has stupid YQ adding a few hundred USD (booo), CX has bad availability out of YVR (booooo), neither CX nor JL serve SEA (booooooooooooo) which means SFO/LAX and 1500-2000 mile backtracks. In theory JL out of YVR is an easy get now, except they're using Shell Flat Neo out of YVR, which is why it's an easy get. I'll suffer through CX mediocre J catering and a SFO/LAX detour for an actual lie-flat and saving 10-15k AS miles, thank you very much. CX J is still arguably the best deal on AS's award chart (followed closely by CX F for 70k, then JL F for 70k).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:21 am

JL doesn't fly F out of Boston and I want to fly F so CX is my only option. KE, I'd have to position in JFK and again, only J awards are available through AS. DL is an awful deal compared to CX and JL and again, doesn't have F.

I guess my desire isn't the shortest duration flight but the best experience. I could do JL through JFK on F but only the JFK - NRT leg.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:26 am

You'd likely only have one leg on first using Cathay too. Other than one Haneda flight, I don't think there's any flight that's one immune from equipment swaps
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by crimsona
You'd likely only have one leg on first using Cathay too. Other than one Haneda flight, I don't think there's any flight that's one immune from equipment swaps
HKG-ICN is still just a 3ish hour flight compared to NRT-ICN's 2ish hour flight. When adding in the nuisance value of going JFK-BOS to start (either on a separate ticket, or train, or what have you) I'd call that a wash. I'd also argue CX's F lounges at HKG are better than JL's at NRT, even if "Cathay has slipped in quality a lot" (I guess losing an amuse-bouche is "a lot").

I suppose if OP really, truly, wants the "best" experience he should shell out for EK F BOS-DXB-ICN, since he can fly F on all segments, including Emirates A380 Shower Class DXB-ICN.

(But that's a LOT of miles, though.)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Got LAX-HKG-AKL in J for mid-December just now. Was holding LAX-SYD on AA in J but the difference between 60Kx2 and 80Kx2 plus having to buy trans-Tasman tickets or use UA miles tipped the scales to switch the flights.

Also booked AKL-HKG in J, waiting for HKG-SFO/LAX now...deferred the possibility of HKG-SFO in PE for now but might go back and add that tomorrow. Really want to switch my dates as well for the whole return trip and keeping my fingers crossed for QF eventually.

Seattle-based partner desk agent could see the exact same inventory #'s I saw on BA for all 3 flights. Tickets issued in 15 minutes on the phone. Great service. ^
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd also argue CX's F lounges at HKG are better than JL's at NRT
"better" is an understatement. JL's NRT F lounge is terrible for a F lounge and looks like an average J lounge compared to CX F. Unless the destination was Japan, I would never choose JL F over CX F, and even then would still choose CX if time and routing allowed.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:57 pm

Alaska cannot see Cathay Pacifice award seats?

Hi,

I'm trying to book an Alaska award flight from DPS to HKG (via Cathay). I checked BA site and was able to see several available seats (economy and business) on the dates I want. But the Alaska agent told me there is no seats available. any idea why?

What can I do to help the Alaska agent to find the seats for me?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

I'm trying to book an Alaska award flight from DPS to HKG (via Cathay). I checked BA site and was able to see several available seats (economy and business) on the dates I want. But the Alaska agent told me there is no seats available. any idea why?

What can I do to help the Alaska agent to find the seats for me?

Thanks!
ba.com often displays phantom availability that is not bookable.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...y-f-j-122.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-miles-36.html
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:19 pm

But JAL site also shows 4 seats available on the date I want to book....

so if they are phantom seats, say if I book through BA or JAL, award will not be confirmed?

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
ba.com often displays phantom availability that is not bookable.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...y-f-j-122.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-miles-36.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.