Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Looks like CX finally dumped a bunch of F seats for the week of Christmas on HKG-LAX. QF and BA both returned a few seats sprinkled throughout the entire week. Called up Alaska and the partner desk was able to change my ticket from J to F for $0.60 tax! Happy early Christmas to me!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by reverted
Looks like CX finally dumped a bunch of F seats for the week of Christmas on HKG-LAX. QF and BA both returned a few seats sprinkled throughout the entire week. Called up Alaska and the partner desk was able to change my ticket from J to F for $0.60 tax! Happy early Christmas to me!
Anyone know the chances they will do the same for the reverse (LAX to HKG). Have a confirmed F ticket already this week but was hoping for another one to open up for my gf otherwise that’s 15 hours in Economy for her. Google flights shows there are 4 seats available as of now.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
I just noticed the same on my route in late December. JFK-HKG just opened up for two of us in F.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Stopover somewhere else besides HKG?

Just to be sure, is there any way to stopover somewhere else in China before continuing to your final destination? For instance:

LAX-HKG-PVG (stop) -HKG-yyy

If not, then the only way is to spend a chunk of Avios to purchase the domestic legs.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eethan
Just to be sure, is there any way to stopover somewhere else in China before continuing to your final destination? For instance:

LAX-HKG-PVG (stop) -HKG-yyy

If not, then the only way is to spend a chunk of Avios to purchase the domestic legs.
CX Stop-over in HKG only. So Avios or low cost carrier for the side trip.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:46 pm

Booked a one-way J class award HKG->SFO->LAX, with a multi week stopover in SFO. They only gave me Y class for SFO->LAX, is that normal?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
Booked a one-way J class award HKG->SFO->LAX, with a multi week stopover in SFO. They only gave me Y class for SFO->LAX, is that normal?
It is if there is no award saver F on that route (A class). Just looking at some random dates in the future there doesn't seem to be much award F on SFO-LAX even though there's TONS of saver Y at 5k miles.

Yeah, sure, I'll bet there will be plenty of takers for 30k per F redemption one way on a one hour flight.
Edgerfly likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
AS regularly has F awards (A) for pretty much most flights in/out of LAX, ONT, SNA and BUR, yet zero availability for SFO flights. This is very unfortunate when awards are available on CX flights to/from SFO and not LAX.
SilverGGA likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Just wait and hold out for a F seat HKG-LAX.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm attempting to book a USA-HKG/HKG-JNB award in F/J, and I'm getting some pretty conflicting info from AS. Can one of the experts here help with some quick questions?

1. If I see F space on USA-HKG, can I grab it now and add HKG-JNB to it at a later date without losing the initial USA-HKG segment?

2. How come some supervisors want to price it as two awards? Seems I'm 50/50 on this. Is it strictly a HUCA situation?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I'm attempting to book a USA-HKG/HKG-JNB award in F/J, and I'm getting some pretty conflicting info from AS. Can one of the experts here help with some quick questions?

1. If I see F space on USA-HKG, can I grab it now and add HKG-JNB to it at a later date without losing the initial USA-HKG segment?

2. How come some supervisors want to price it as two awards? Seems I'm 50/50 on this. Is it strictly a HUCA situation?

Thanks in advance
Last month I added HKG-SGN to an existing YVR-HKG award reservation. I've also had no problem adding to an existing reservation when the first leg is available, but the second leg is still 330+ days out. Like almost everything at the partner desk, YMMV, but a note in your PNR should do the trick.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

Yes you can add the second segment later, you will be required to pay the additional miles and added taxes. There may be additional fees depending on your Elite Status.

USA-HKG//HKG-JNB is one award. J is 62.5K, F 70K. Keep in mind there is no F on the HKG-JNB segment. I booked two J in the reverse direction for mid February JNB-HKG/4 days/HKG-BOS. One award, 62.5K, $107.xx total taxes and AS partner booking fee each. I am 75K so no phone booking fee.

I aslo booked YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS in J departing 3rd week of January for 50K and sub $100 fees and taxes. Nice way to use the 50K bonus when reaching 75K.

James
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It is if there is no award saver F on that route (A class). Just looking at some random dates in the future there doesn't seem to be much award F on SFO-LAX even though there's TONS of saver Y at 5k miles.
It's a former VX-operated route. I'm seeing no saver F (A class) on all former VX routes, for dates after 4/24 (when they become operated by AS).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
It's a former VX-operated route. I'm seeing no saver F (A class) on all former VX routes, for dates after 4/24 (when they become operated by AS).
At one point there was some (very limited) A class on the Airbus Series aircraft.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
AS sees less award space in Oneworld- frustrating!

Searching Qantas shows at least 3 seats in J, TLV-HKG. But the AS agent can't see anything!

Same thing happened last year too on another CX route, but I was able to tweak dates and AS finally saw what the rest of OW could see.

Is there a pattern or rule to any of this. - Would waiting a couple of days cause AS to refresh there systems and see what everyone else can see?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.