Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America


Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Dec 2, 17, 4:43 am
  #1486  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,595
Originally Posted by Aker View Post
what is the best way to search for cathay availability now?
ba?
asiamiles?
qantas?

trying to go yvr to hkg.

thanks in advance,
a
Asiamiles has inventory that would not be available to partners. I would only use it if I liked being lied to and frustrated once calling in to AS.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Dec 2, 17, 4:54 am
  #1487  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SEA, FLL, Martha’s Vineyard
Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Posts: 2,019
Originally Posted by Aker View Post
when searching Qantas availability are you only able to redeem Alaska points on the flights listed under their “classic rewards”?
I was never really certain what a “classic” award meant when searching on Qantas. I always assumed it just meant saver award space. Everytime I’ve searched for F using QF’s tool I’ve used the “classic rewards.”
Edgerfly is offline  
Old Dec 2, 17, 5:40 am
  #1488  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,031
Originally Posted by Edgerfly View Post
I was never really certain what a “classic” award meant when searching on Qantas. I always assumed it just meant saver award space. Everytime I’ve searched for F using QF’s tool I’ve used the “classic rewards.”
if you see a cx award seat on QF FF then it's classic - QF cannot show any non-classic seat except on its own metal?
percysmith is offline  
Old Dec 2, 17, 11:03 am
  #1489  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,753
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
I don't disagree with the basic concept you propose. It could very well be the case that the economics of CX awards are not favourable to Alaska. But what I'm hung up on is the execution.

If it was formulaic, such as AS = OneWorld - X, or something like that, then we'd be able to figure out the pattern pretty easily. But it isn't. I've had cases where OW = 3 and AS = 2...but I've also had cases where AS =1 and OW = 0. I've also had cases where AS and OW match. (Last week, I changed 3J EWRHKG to 3J JFKYVRHKG without much fuss...and the EWRHKG was returned to OW inventory).

Now, it could be that AS specifically revenue manages its CX awards...but that seems ridiculously complex. The time and expense associated with that just seems really unlikely to me.

So it leaves us where we began - why don't they harmonize?

Respectfully, Jamie
Mystery to me too, just as the same as in the timing of when the miles earned from CC would post. All other programs seem to post within 2 days of the statement closes. NOT AS. It sometimes can take 10 days or more after statement closing date. You would think this is all automatic, once the bank sent the statement information over and the airline system accepted it, and then populated the accounts accordingly. That is how the way AA, UA, DL works, even SPG works the same way. But the posting time of AS miles is Inconsistent, other then now we seem to see it is after Sunday of the week your statement closed, most of the time but not everytime. Go figure. (just seem there is a lot of MANUAL handling on AS end, for many things.)
jamienbaker likes this.
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 3, 17, 8:45 am
  #1490  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: hong kong
Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Posts: 355
Smile Am i allowed a Domestic Stopover +a international stopover?

Looking to fly next May (when VX ceases to exist and all routes become AS) from EWR to ultimately JNB.

Would a routing of EWR-SFO, domestic stopover, SFO-HKG on CX with a stopover in HKG and then HKG-JNB work?

thanks
chinatown is offline  
Old Dec 3, 17, 8:49 am
  #1491  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ORD + HKG
Programs: CX Diamond, AA ExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Starriott Gold, GE
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by Edgerfly View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get CX space from HKG-TLV?
I managed to get a companion award using CX miles, but I highly doubt they release much if any seats to partners.
G-CIVC is offline  
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:50 pm
  #1492  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 16,595
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
Looking to fly next May (when VX ceases to exist and all routes become AS) from EWR to ultimately JNB.

Would a routing of EWR-SFO, domestic stopover, SFO-HKG on CX with a stopover in HKG and then HKG-JNB work?

thanks
Read the wiki. One stopover of longer than 24 hours on a one way. You can pick SFO or HKG, not both.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 5:25 am
  #1493  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, NY
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 325
So long as I asked the agents the right questions, it seems that you can now use VX as well as AS for the domestic connection in conjunction with a CX award. Note 5 of the T&C suggests that VX/F can't be booked on some routes ("Not valid for travel in Business/First on nonstop flights between New York - JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.") I'm going to email them to confirm.
54austin is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 7:46 am
  #1494  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,737
Originally Posted by 54austin View Post
So long as I asked the agents the right questions, it seems that you can now use VX as well as AS for the domestic connection in conjunction with a CX award. Note 5 of the T&C suggests that VX/F can't be booked on some routes ("Not valid for travel in Business/First on nonstop flights between New York - JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.") I'm going to email them to confirm.
AS needs to update the charts and put the little indicators about which notes apply to which carriers or clean up the chart in general. That note was for Delta who did not allow J awards on the premium (flat-bed) service routes. VX cannot be combined. VX flights become AS flights as of 4/25 so one would no longer be combining partners.
CDKing is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 8:53 pm
  #1495  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, NY
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 325
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
AS needs to update the charts and put the little indicators about which notes apply to which carriers or clean up the chart in general. That note was for Delta who did not allow J awards on the premium (flat-bed) service routes. VX cannot be combined. VX flights become AS flights as of 4/25 so one would no longer be combining partners.
I stand corrected. Despite an email and a previous phone call with a rep, VX cannot be combined with partner awards (not in any class) at this time. Just got off the phone with an agent who spoke to the partner desk to confirm.
54austin is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:57 am
  #1496  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 247
I'm not sure if the Boise call center knows how to book Cathay flights. I ended getting 3 different reps from Boise for Cathay flights I was booking - 2 could not find any availability and 1 had difficulty booking the flights and ended up hanging up on me. When I called the Seattle call centers they were able to find the flights, book the flights, and also find the flight and book the flight the person from Boise failed to release back to inventory after he hung up on me. I would recommend if you get the Boise call center and are booking Cathay flights to hang up and call back until you get Seattle. Otherwise they might tell you no award availability when there is since they don't know how to search for it properly and even if they do find it might have difficulty booking it.

Other data points -

Alaska availability matched BA and Cathay websites on the first flights I booked. For the return flights BA showed no availability, Cathay showed availability, and Alaska showed availability.

On the first tickets booked the award tickets showed middle names on the second set of tickets the middle name was not on the award ticket. I asked the agent and she said she added the middle name. I assume from reading the Cathay forum that it's in the secure flyer field but not reflected on the actual ticket.
AICML is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 11:34 am
  #1497  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by AICML View Post
I'm not sure if the Boise call center knows how to book Cathay flights. I ended getting 3 different reps from Boise for Cathay flights I was booking - 2 could not find any availability and 1 had difficulty booking the flights and ended up hanging up on me. When I called the Seattle call centers they were able to find the flights, book the flights, and also find the flight and book the flight the person from Boise failed to release back to inventory after he hung up on me. I would recommend if you get the Boise call center and are booking Cathay flights to hang up and call back until you get Seattle. Otherwise they might tell you no award availability when there is since they don't know how to search for it properly and even if they do find it might have difficulty booking it.

Other data points -

Alaska availability matched BA and Cathay websites on the first flights I booked. For the return flights BA showed no availability, Cathay showed availability, and Alaska showed availability.

On the first tickets booked the award tickets showed middle names on the second set of tickets the middle name was not on the award ticket. I asked the agent and she said she added the middle name. I assume from reading the Cathay forum that it's in the secure flyer field but not reflected on the actual ticket.

It doesn't matter where the call center is, only if the agent on the line can book partner awards. Some are familiar/been trained and some haven't. My experience has been to ask at the beginning of the call if they can book CX awards. They will tall you if they can or cannot and then transfer you to someone who can.

Interesting data point about AS seeing same available seats as BA. I have booked two International roundtrips in J and F in last couple years and neither time could AS see the seats I was seeing while I was logged into my BA account. If BA showed 2, AS would see 1. If BA showed 3, AS would see 2 or 1. They never matched. This was true for all US flights to HKG and HKG to Sydney or Perth. YMMV. each time I was able to secure the seats I wanted but it took many calls to AS over an extended time period to get exact dates. Usually what would happen is I would book a seat in J but not on an ideal date/flight. As time went on , other seats would pop up and I would call back and switch. Being MVPG helped with no change fees under 60 days. Both RT's were for pleasure and my dates were somewhat flexible which also helped. Leaving on Monday or Thurs didn't really matter to be and because of this I was able to secure seats in F for all my flights that had an F cabin.
jonnyz1245 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:48 pm
  #1498  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Alaska 75K
Posts: 75
If you’re flying F LAXHKG do you get access to F lounge in Hong Kong when the connection onward to final destination (BKK) is in J?
Brianblanco is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:53 pm
  #1499  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,438
-- Yes.
Orwaid is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:56 pm
  #1500  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Alaska 75K
Posts: 75
Thanks
Brianblanco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread