Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What's a lost day of vacation worth? ( AS Fault )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's a lost day of vacation worth? ( AS Fault )

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My personal take on downgrade compensation, which unfortunately is not shared by regulatory agencies, is that a downgrade should always cost the offending airline MORE than the fare difference. My reasoning is that if I had wanted coach, for instance thinking about domestic USA flights for my example, instead of FC at the prevailing prices, I would have picked coach and already pocketed the difference in fare.
I agree for paid F tickets. Especially if the fare difference is not calculated with the cheapest available fare at the time of purchase (does anyone do that? Do they even have the data?)

In this case, though, the OP didn't buy F, they bought coach and were upgraded.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Agreed. On UA, it's the following, but I still have no idea if AS has a published policy:

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.
IME, getting downgrade compensation out of AS is like pulling teeth. Certainly it's nothing like UA's downgrade policy. I was downgraded on AS due to an IT mistake several years ago on a transcon (LAX-DCA) and was initially offered 2,000 miles. I pushed back and quoted UA's well-known downgrade policy ($500 on that stage length) and eventually after several back-and-forths was given a $200 voucher with the clear caveat that this was a "one-time exception."

AS is very much uncompetitive in this area. Take this information for what you will, but if a downgrade situation ever comes up, just know that UA will treat you better than AS will.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I agree for paid F tickets. Especially if the fare difference is not calculated with the cheapest available fare at the time of purchase (does anyone do that? Do they even have the data?)

In this case, though, the OP didn't buy F, they bought coach and were upgraded.
Again, of note, one of AS's major competitors does offer said compensation in the case of a downgrade after a complimentary upgrade. AS is choosing to be uncompetitive in this area and provide a lower level of service. That is their choice, but I believe it should be made known that they are choosing to do that so that people who are booking tickets can take that into consideration when choosing which carrier to purchase a ticket on.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have never been downgraded on either of them, so... forgive me for personally not being overly concerned about this uncompetitiveness.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But, that is the point. People do make choices and to someone who finds downgrade compensation to be the most important factor when choosing a flight, AS loses. To others, booking based on price & convenience, perhaps AS has a better ticket price and a more convenient flight.

The real issue here is that for both UA & AS, the COC provide simply for a refund of the price difference, however that is calculated. The rest is just a customer service gesture and it could change without notice and at any moment.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by diver858
I would write a BRIEF, CONCISE, COHESIVE letter of explanation to AS CS, graciously accept whatever compensation is granted, move on with your lives.
+1
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:42 pm

I suggest that you look at the AS conditions of carriage to get the definitive answer

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I know these things are subjective and dependent on many factors, but looking for a ball park figure here.

Through the fault of AS, we lost a full day of vacation in Cabo San Lucas. It was an IT issue on their end and they comped us with hotel voucher, dinner vouchers and breakfast voucher the next morning. So, yes, their fault.

The unresolved part of this is the lost day for my gf and I. Additionally, both of are MVPs are recieved fc upgrades for the re-booked flight...but at the gate, AS again said "whoops" and they had to split our ticket. GF took FC, i took economy despite having been confirmed for fc upgrade ( email and app ).

The trip was really a mess.

My assumption is that 10,000 - 20,000 miles each would be adequate. Does that sound fair? I'm trying to be reasonable here and not looking for "emotional trauma" or anything of the sort. Just looking to objectively assess the loss in AS miles and walk away.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mexberry
I suggest that you look at the AS conditions of carriage to get the definitive answer
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
It's resolved and both sides are happy with the agreement.
Seems like a definitive answer to me...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No airline is going to compensate me when I say that because I arrived late and it was the airline's fault, I missed a gigazillion deal that I really wanted because it would instantly make me a gigazillionaire.
Actually, it is the opposite. You get the gazillion dollar deal because of flight reasons:
http://gizmodo.com/the-16-billion-wh...ewa-1529218748

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.