Go Back   > > >

Old Jun 18, 17, 11:14 pm   #1
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
One reason I really like AS...

I love the fact that you can change rez >60 days out and still reuse your Companion Fare discount and GGU upgrades. And no penalty/change fees, except fare differences. We have changed our Oct. flts to BOS twice in the last two weeks--adding an extra day each time. No problems and no hassles. The 1st time the fare had increased ~$20 so we gladly pd that. No one else has that flexibility, that I know of.
philemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:29 pm   #2

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
If we're supposed to finish the sentence in the OP's title, I would say that the number #1 reason I really like Alaska is that they still have a traditional mileage-based frequent flyer program.
PDXPremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:40 pm   #3

Programs: AS MVPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
If we're supposed to finish the sentence in the OP's title, I would say that the number #1 reason I really like Alaska is that they still have a traditional mileage-based frequent flyer program.
Hear, hear!
spamman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:51 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Quote:
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
I love the fact that you can change rez >60 days out and still reuse your Companion Fare discount and GGU upgrades. And no penalty/change fees, except fare differences.
Ever flown Southwest? They allow changes for free within 60 days for everyone, just have to pay fare difference (or get it rebated if it went down, just like AS). So it's not "no-one else"...
eponymous_coward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:34 am   #5

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
VX let's you change dates,times, origin,destination unlimited times if one pays an

extra $25 at ticketing and deposits difference into yout travel bank if the new ticket you buy costs more than the one you are changing.

Might be a good revenue generator allowing those not elite to change plans <60days in and might keep those who are sick from travelling and infecting everyone else if they don't risk losing hundreds of dollars to change thedir tickets.

Wish AS would adopt something similar.
thumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:31 am   #6
vgc

Quote:
Seconding this!!!
vgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:52 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgc View Post
Seconding this!!!
As someone that self-funds all of my travel, the programs (like UA, DL, AA, VX, WN, etc.) that all went revenue-based just don't work for me since they go against the whole idea of getting the lowest cpm (cents per mile) as possible out of every ticket. I think the only people revenue-based programs work for would be flyers who are traveling for business (at the last minute) on the company's dime.
Old Jun 20, 17, 6:48 am   #8

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold)
Quote:
This, and the rapidly declining in-flight experience - but really mostly this, is why this year I completely abandoned AA for AS. After 30 years and nearly 1M miles, AA lost my business. Fortunately, AS is earning it these days.
WillTravel4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:09 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
This, and the rapidly declining in-flight experience - but really mostly this, is why this year I completely abandoned AA for AS. After 30 years and nearly 1M miles, AA lost my business. Fortunately, AS is earning it these days.
Before AS, I was a die-hard UA flyer until I woke up one morning and saw the announcement on FT that UA would be adding a revenue requirement....I knew at that point I was done and needed to start planning my future with AS where I've been more than happy ever since. The higher fares I've paid on AS (compared to UA) have been at least partially off-set by strategic uses of the companion certificates.
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:40 am   #10
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Ever flown Southwest? They allow changes for free within 60 days for everyone, just have to pay fare difference (or get it rebated if it went down, just like AS). So it's not "no-one else"...
Yes, I forgot about WN as I rarely fly them. I like preassigned seating and a chance for an U/G to F.
philemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:54 pm   #11

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott PlatPrem, PriorityClub Plat + a whole bunch of others not worth mentioning
Quote:
As someone that self-funds all of my travel, the programs (like UA, DL, AA, VX, WN, etc.) that all went revenue-based just don't work for me since they go against the whole idea of getting the lowest cpm (cents per mile) as possible out of every ticket. I think the only people revenue-based programs work for would be flyers who are traveling for business (at the last minute) on the company's dime.
As a hub-to-hub flyer (SFO/IAH on UA), company's dime, sure, last minute, never (tickets are Q). UA has figured out that they own this route, so will charge whatever they damn well please. At the end of the year, PQD is no issue for me, but PQM can be.
garkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 17, 4:27 am   #12

Programs: *S(TK),OWR(AY), MR/SPG(Gold), AS MVP, WS Silver, A3, BA, AP
I like AS program because it allows me to pool miles from airlines that I don't fly often. Losing DL was not good for me because DL is my favorite out of the big 3, but their FFP is horrible.
Jma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 17, 5:15 pm   #13

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Alaska has lots of benefits that many other programs do not have. It's the main reason why I still fly them. However, they really need to improve their on board experience (even beyond the ones they recently announced). Food is a major issue for me, as is cleanliness/comfort in the aircraft.
ffman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 17, 11:02 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffman999 View Post
Alaska has lots of benefits that many other programs do not have. It's the main reason why I still fly them. However, they really need to improve their on board experience (even beyond the ones they recently announced). Food is a major issue for me, as is cleanliness/comfort in the aircraft.
What routes have you been flying? Just curious if there is a pattern.

Food is typically ok IMO, and haven't ran into any major cleanliness issues.

I like the addition of WR, but disappointed the Hazelnut Espresso had been cut back to 4 per aircraft/turn.
beckoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:48 am   #15

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Au, Marriott Pt, IHG Au, Nexus, *$ Au
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I like the addition of WR, but disappointed the Hazelnut Espresso had been cut back to 4 per aircraft/turn.
rustykettel is online now   Reply With Quote