Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

which partner earning applies when on BA metal with AA ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite

I swear that figuring this out on my own will be the end of me. I am a reasonably bright person, and I know how to both read and google, and yet ...

Help please!
If I buy a ticket that's marketed as and purchase from AA, but the flight is on BA metal, does the AA or the BA award earning chart apply?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
in theory 0?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
pbd456 is correct by the written rules, but in practice you'll earn based on the operating carrier's chart. In this case BA.

Save your boarding passes, in case you need to send them in for retro credit!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Aa/ba is a very interesting combination. My understanding is that oneworld is by marketing carrier. F on AA is earning 150% while F in BA earns 500%. The question is how much does as get paid?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
Aa/ba is a very interesting combination. My understanding is that oneworld is by marketing carrier. F on AA is earning 150% while F in BA earns 500%. The question is how much does as get paid?
oneworld is by marketing carrier, but that's not relevant here. AS is by operating carrier. (By the rules, marketing and operating carrier have to be the same, as you noted, but in practice operating carrier earning applies if the marketing carrier is also an AS partner. The exception is AA*/AS and AS*/AA, for which the marketing carrier applies with a caveat, but that's not relevant here.)

F on AA is 200%. F on BA is indeed 500% (only 300% EQMs).

A (discounted first class) on AA is 150%; A on BA is 450% (250% EQMs).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I've submitted a retro credit request for a BA operated BA flight followed by a BA operated and AA coded flight. The first one posted as if in economy when it was business and the second one did not post I was sent an email stating vaguely that they could not find the flights. I sent a second request and never got the miles posted. Nor did I get an email.
​​​​​​Not sure what to do now.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I've submitted a retro credit request for a BA operated BA flight followed by a BA operated and AA coded flight. The first one posted as if in economy when it was business and the second one did not post I was sent an email stating vaguely that they could not find the flights. I sent a second request and never got the miles posted. Nor did I get an email.
​​​​​​Not sure what to do now.
I've had that (no response on an email followup). Call Mileage Plan customer service. They were able to straighten my last one out over the phone after the email failed. Well, it took two calls because the first one was going to be fixed as soon as they documented it for IT. Second call fixed it right away.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
I've submitted a retro credit request for a BA operated BA flight followed by a BA operated and AA coded flight.
FWIW, I never had an issue getting AS credit on BA marketed BA metal flights. 62k EQMs on BA this year, all posted without issues.

I was on an BA marketed AA metal flight on May 27, and it hasn't posted yet. I do have the boarding passes for that still.

The original question came up because I am looking at DUB-LHR-SFO. All on BA metal, marketed by AA at ~$1880 and by BA for ~$4550 for the same I/J seats.

It's not the end of days if I don't get AS EQMs for it, the fare is too good to pass up given that I have to get to SFO on those days no matter what.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
pbd456 is correct by the written rules, but in practice you'll earn based on the operating carrier's chart. In this case BA.

Save your boarding passes, in case you need to send them in for retro credit!
+1 This is the only way to get it done, but caveat emptor I have seen BA tickets that say "Sold as AA####" or have other indicators that the ticket isn't originally BA. Good luck ^
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:45 pm

I have been told multiple times by Alaska employees that the metal you fly on is what matters. If you are flying on a BA plane, you get credited as a BA ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I've had that (no response on an email followup). Call Mileage Plan customer service. They were able to straighten my last one out over the phone after the email failed. Well, it took two calls because the first one was going to be fixed as soon as they documented it for IT. Second call fixed it right away.
Thanks for reporting your experience on that. Are they opened every day or only week days? And what details will I have to provide (I can't show a boarding pass over the phone).
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:15 pm

Thanks for reporting your experience on that. Are they opened every day or only week days? And what details will I have to provide (I can't show a boarding pass over the phone).
Ah, saw this a little too late.

They're open 8am-5:45pm M-F and 8am-4:45pm Sat -- 800-654-5669 (or if you're MVP or higher, look in the app for that number which is supposed to queue faster).

They already had the flight information for my mine but just didn't credit correctly. I imagine the rep will provide their own email address or pull it from the group email inbox if they need docs.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Flight Eligibility

For a partner flight to credit to AS, the flight must be Marketed and Operated by the partner airline. As per the details, a BA flight will only credit if it falls within the specified flight numbers. The two-letter BA airline code must precede the flight number on your ticket. For example BAxxxx. If the flight is marketed by another airline such as AA and bears a code-share on the ticket it is not eligible for credit to AS but can be credited to AA.Therefore, BA52 from SEA-LHR marketed by BA and operated by BA is eligible for credit to AS while the same flight AA6232 marketed by AA and operated by BA is not eligible for credit to AS. To see Qualifying flight information on the AS website click the "Details" below the "Earnings" to see eligibility. For an Example, I have included the qualifying information for BA flights here.

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways.

Eligible flight numbers

0001–0531 2200–2239 8000–8020
0539–1499 2250–2289 8200–8299
2030–2045 2540–2799 8450–8497
2061–2069 2900–2999
2150–2169 6200–6449

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (BA) must precede the flight number (for example, BA XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For a partner flight to credit to AS, the flight must be Marketed and Operated by the partner airline. As per the details, a BA flight will only credit if it falls within the specified flight numbers. The two-letter BA airline code must precede the flight number on your ticket. For example BAxxxx. If the flight is marketed by another airline such as AA and bears a code-share on the ticket it is not eligible for credit to AS but can be credited to AA.Therefore, BA52 from SEA-LHR marketed by BA and operated by BA is eligible for credit to AS while the same flight AA6232 marketed by AA and operated by BA is not eligible for credit to AS.
That is correct as per AS' written rules, however the experience by me and others here is that AS is more lenient than the written policy and will credit that AA6232 flight to Mileage Plan as BA52 upon submission of the pax's BA52 boarding pass. I've done this with AA, DL, & JL codeshare flights in the last year. All credited to AS. ^
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
That is correct as per AS' written rules, however the experience by me and others here is that AS is more lenient than the written policy and will credit that AA6232 flight to Mileage Plan as BA52 upon submission of the pax's BA52 boarding pass. I've done this with AA, DL, & JL codeshare flights in the last year. All credited to AS. ^

Did you mean "upon submission of the pax's AA6232 boarding pass?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.