Old Feb 26, 18, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone



https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/first-class/food-and-drink
Choose your meal before your flight.
First Class Pre-Select is available on most Boeing and Airbus flights over 3.5 hours. That's 100 flights daily, including all coast-to-coast and West Coast to/from Hawaii flights; we're planning to offer it on all flights in 2019. First Class guests can choose between two main dishes, or have an Alaska's Signature Fruit and Cheese platter, served on a plate.

To get started, make sure youre using the latest version of the Alaska Airlines mobile app.


Here's how First Class Pre-Select works

First Class meal options can be reserved from 24 hours to two weeks prior to your flight.

Within the app, head to the Trips section and then select your upcoming flight.
Once you're looking at the full details for your upcoming flight, scroll down and click the "Food menu" option.
Next, you'll see a menu of the complimentary meals available on your flight.
Choose the meal you'd like, then click the arrow to confirm your choice.
Presto! Your meal is pre-selected. The flight attendant will deliver it during your flight's meal service.
Note: if you change flights, your meal choice will not transfer to the new flight. You'll need to make a new choice within that new reservation.

Please list routes/flight numbers plus date/time with success:

ASXXX SEA-XXX XX:XX AM March X, 2018

Transcon flights without pre-order and date/time:

AS754 SEA-RDU 8:15 AM March 2, 2018
AS767 BWI-SEA 6:59 PM March 1, 2018
Print Wikipost

Preordering First Class Meals

Old Jan 12, 20, 12:30 pm
  #406  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 36,207
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
To be honest....the Brussels sprouts are also problematic...my mother use to serve them to us. It was a passive aggressive move as she knew my brothers and I hated them.
I hate them. I push them aside. The way they arrive on the plate, they don't have that smell in the house like when mom used to make. Problematic, not complicated
NoLaGent likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:38 pm
  #407  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,302
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
To be honest....the Brussels sprouts are also problematic...my mother use to serve them to us. It was a passive aggressive move as she knew my brothers and I hated them.
You were lucky. We got frozen peas, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn (Frozen foods were very big in the '50s) - I had very few "real" vegetables until I was an adult, and now love almost all of them.

But the vegetables are only one small part of the plate - just don't eat them.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:55 pm
  #408  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 8,430
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
You were lucky. We got frozen peas, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn (Frozen foods were very big in the '50s) - I had very few "real" vegetables until I was an adult, and now love almost all of them.

.
Interesting... the only vegetables my mother served growing up was Brussels sprouts and Stouffer's creamed spinach..... because of that , at 65 years of age now.... I rarely eat vegetables unless my husband forces them on me as it wasn't part of our meals growing up. Neither were desserts really ....but I am sugar addicted today...go figure.
david55 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:59 pm
  #409  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 1,504
When did preorder become available on alaskaair.com?

I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I just noticed that I could preorder on the alaskaair.com website instead of having to use the mobile app. It takes you to the mobile page at m.alaskaair.com. When did they put in that capability? Also, the description says that preorder of F meals is available up to 20 hours before the flight. I thought it was only up to 24 hours prior. Nice change since a few of my upgrades seem to occur during that interval. It does say that the earliest is 2 weeks before, so I'm not sure if the timeframe is accurate. I'll test it out this evening.

Edited to add: Well, I would have tried it out this evening between t-24 & t-20, but AS cancelled the flight around t-26.


Last edited by flymonthly; Jan 12, 20 at 8:28 pm Reason: Couldn't test.
flymonthly is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:31 pm
  #410  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Posts: 3,124
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
To be honest....the Brussels sprouts are also problematic...my mother use to serve them to us. It was a passive aggressive move as she knew my brothers and I hated them.
Thankfully, these are NOT your Mom's BS! I actually like them, and I grew up the same way as you. I used to call them the Devil's Balls. True story.

She was a terrible cook, bless her heart.
NoLaGent is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:57 pm
  #411  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,550
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Our flight SEA-LIH is 25 days out but the menu and opportunity to select is available. Nothing looks too good to me...the two mains sound complicated and I can't go six hours on a plane with just a cheese platter. ....any thoughts on the 2 mains?

Butternut Squash Ravioli

Complimentary

Raviolis filled with roasted butternut squash. Served with grilled zucchini and red peppers. Topped with a creamy coconut Kabocha squash curry sauce.


Select

Fruit & Cheese Plate

Complimentary

Its an all-star cast for our Fruit & Cheese plate. Beechers Flagship cheese, Tillamook sharp cheddar and brie, Partners crackers, and finished with a Seattle Chocolate truffle.


Select

Roasted Pomegranate Glazed Chicken

Complimentary

Boneless Chicken Breast glazed with pomegranate reduction, accompanied by Brussels Sprouts roasted with bacon and citrus zest, fluffy couscous with mint and raisins. Served with a smoky tomato and harissa jus.

I wouldn't eat either of those either. I'd get the cheese plate (which is delicious)

Can you really not go 6 hours without food? Do you wake up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to eat? How many meals a day do you eat? 6 hours is nothing.

FWIW the cheese plate still comes with the starter. It's no less filling than the "regular" dishes. They also come by with a snack basket and you can grab more than one thing. Grab a banana (delicious and filling) as well some jerky and you have lots of calories.

You can also just grab a burger or something at the airport before you leave, which is usually what I do. Or, if you have priority pass, there is a Vietnamese restaurant (Bambuza) in the SEA north satellite where you can get a $28 credit (I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the quality)
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:10 pm
  #412  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 8,430
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I wouldn't eat either of those either. I'd get the cheese plate (which is delicious)

Can you really not go 6 hours without food? Do you wake up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to eat? How many meals a day do you eat? 6 hours is nothing.

FWIW the cheese plate still comes with the starter. It's no less filling than the "regular" dishes. They also come by with a snack basket and you can grab more than one thing. Grab a banana (delicious and filling) as well some jerky and you have lots of calories.

You can also just grab a burger or something at the airport before you leave, which is usually what I do. Or, if you have priority pass, there is a Vietnamese restaurant (Bambuza) in the SEA north satellite where you can get a $28 credit (I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the quality)
You sound like me talking to myself. Seriously, thanks for the suggestions.....
david55 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:58 pm
  #413  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,503
Was able to make a selection SEA-ANC earlier in the week ^

Yes, this is coming online... and the FA had an extra protein and cheese plate onboard as well. Glad this came online at last ^
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:28 pm
  #414  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 1,504
Originally Posted by flymonthly View Post
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I just noticed that I could preorder on the alaskaair.com website instead of having to use the mobile app. It takes you to the mobile page at m.alaskaair.com. When did they put in that capability? Also, the description says that preorder of F meals is available up to 20 hours before the flight. I thought it was only up to 24 hours prior. Nice change since a few of my upgrades seem to occur during that interval. It does say that the earliest is 2 weeks before, so I'm not sure if the timeframe is accurate. I'll test it out this evening.

Edited to add: Well, I would have tried it out this evening between t-24 & t-20, but AS cancelled the flight around t-26.

Well, I was able to test it out on my re-booked flight on Thursday and I could indeed reserve or change my meal up to t-20 on both my laptop and mobile app. Progress!
flymonthly is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 7:57 pm
  #415  
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,845
I ordered 22 hours out for my SFO-BOS yesterday morning and was surprised it went through. A new 20 hour cutoff explains that.

Tom in snowy Boston tonight
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:04 pm
  #416  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,887
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Interesting... the only vegetables my mother served growing up was Brussels sprouts and Stouffer's creamed spinach..... because of that , at 65 years of age now.... I rarely eat vegetables unless my husband forces them on me as it wasn't part of our meals growing up.
A little late replying, but modern Brussel's Sprouts aren't the same ones they served you a few decades ago. My mom would cook them for my dad ~50 years ago and they smelled awful, and nobody but him would eat them. Some dutch scientists started looking into making them more appealing, and through regular plant breeding managed to make a better tasting version. I eat them roasted all the time now. I think it got reported on NPR recently, and here's a link to an article I found in 2 seconds of searching.

Last edited by chrisl137; Jan 19, 20 at 10:11 pm
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:09 pm
  #417  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 8,430
Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
A little late replying, but modern Brussel's Sprouts aren't the same ones they served you a few decades ago. My mom would cook them for my dad ~50 years ago and they smelled awful, and nobody but him would eat them. Some dutch scientists started looking into making them more appealing, and through regular plant breeding managed to make a better tasting version. I eat them roasted all the time now. I think it got reported on NPR recently, and here's a link to an article I found in 2 seconds of searching.
I think 2 seconds of searching was two fast......The link takes us to something titled ; NORMAL VIABILITY OF SEEDS AND BACTERIAL SPORES AFTER EXPOSURE TO TEMPERATURES NEAR THE ABSOLUTE ZERO
david55 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:12 pm
  #418  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,887
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I think 2 seconds of searching was two fast......The link takes us to something titled ; NORMAL VIABILITY OF SEEDS AND BACTERIAL SPORES AFTER EXPOSURE TO TEMPERATURES NEAR THE ABSOLUTE ZERO
fixed - copied from the wrong tab... that one was for a thread in P/R...
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:23 pm
  #419  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,550
So... brussels sprouts don't taste better after being frozen to near absolute zero?
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:43 pm
  #420  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 8,430
I always suspected that Brussels sprouts were bacterial spores....they certainly taste like it.
david55 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread