Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX-DEN Rant

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

PDX-DEN Rant

I know this has been addressed, but how is PDX-DEN not a route. I got it a few years ago when the economy was tough and there was a lot of competition. But now with all of the E175's coming online and the recent expansion, how is it not a route.

At #4 it is the only top 10 destination from PDX that Alaska does not serve. This has to be hands down the biggest hole in the Alaska network.

Dont give me competition element, i dont buy it, there is more than enough demand and with a E175 they should be able to pull decent yields.

I am tired of flying through SEA if i want Alaska miles and no, i do not care about the 500 extra miles.

Rant Over.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
I know this has been addressed, but how is PDX-DEN not a route. I got it a few years ago when the economy was tough and there was a lot of competition. But now with all of the E175's coming online and the recent expansion, how is it not a route.

At #4 it is the only top 10 destination from PDX that Alaska does not serve. This has to be hands down the biggest hole in the Alaska network.

Dont give me competition element, i dont buy it, there is more than enough demand and with a E175 they should be able to pull decent yields.

I am tired of flying through SEA if i want Alaska miles and no, i do not care about the 500 extra miles.

Rant Over.
I suspect the answer to your question is: because Alaska thinks they can make more money using their aircraft on other routes.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:22 am

I'd like to see this route as well. With SEA and SFO (via Virgin) already, adding PDX would make AS more viable in DEN.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Calculon
I suspect the answer to your question is: because Alaska thinks they can make more money using their aircraft on other routes.
Yes that is generally the answer for any complaints about service to a particular city or airport, but that doesn't mean complaints aren't valid or interesting discussion. Alaska flies to other cities with lots of competition and correspondingly low fares (SFO, LAX) because they are essential if they want to be the premier player on the west coast. Denver just doesn't count for that I guess. It's a bizarre market to skip over while adding nonstops to lesser, farther away markets like STL, AUS, ABQ, MKE, etc
Old May 26, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calculon
I really doubt the answer is that simple. We are not talking a transcon route that requires a higher aircraft utilization.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Yes that is generally the answer for any complaints about service to a particular city or airport, but that doesn't mean complaints aren't valid or interesting discussion. Alaska flies to other cities with lots of competition and correspondingly low fares (SFO, LAX) because they are essential if they want to be the premier player on the west coast. Denver just doesn't count for that I guess. It's a bizarre market to skip over while adding nonstops to lesser, farther away markets like STL, AUS, ABQ, MKE, etc
Completely agree. You are trying to building the premier West Coast airline but you dont serve the 6th largest market in the US, which is also located in the western US from your second hub?
Old May 26, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
With the proliferation of E175's coming online I have to think PDX-DEN is going to come back eventually. I can understand why they didn't want to tie up some 737's on the route given its competitive dynamics, but eventually they're going to have to get back in it and the Embraer would be a good plane for it.

Another PDX route I really hope they look at is PDX-IAH. If they can make PDX-AUS (not to mention PDX-DFW/DAL) work on the Embraer then they can darn sure fill up 76 seats a day to the fourth largest city in the country.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
And PDX-PHX goes back to one (horribly) timed flight a day next week...

But hey, I can fly to DFW at 12a!
Old May 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
And PDX-PHX goes back to one (horribly) timed flight a day next week...

But hey, I can fly to DFW at 12a!
Because nobody in Portland wants to go to Phoenix this time of year
Old May 26, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
It might be worth it to send alaska an email regarding their lack of service on PDX-DEN. They are fairly receptive.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Chugach
Because nobody in Portland wants to go to Phoenix this time of year
Wimps.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Wimps.
Well...true. Portlanders are some of the biggest weather wimps around.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
I really doubt the answer is that simple. We are not talking a transcon route that requires a higher aircraft utilization.
United and Southwest fly PDX-DEN and both benefit from onward connections. (Sure, AS could have some connections out of PDX - but those would largely compete with AS' own DEN-SEA-xxx connections.)

Frontier also flies PDX-DEN. PDX-DEN is kind of a thin route to support four carriers, IMHO. The OP may not like it but the PDX hub pales in comparisons to the SEA hub.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Frontier also flies PDX-DEN. PDX-DEN is kind of a thin route to support four carriers, IMHO. The OP may not like it but the PDX hub pales in comparisons to the SEA hub.
But does Frontier fly that route because AS isn't there to compete? Would many Portlanders prefer (and choose) AS?

And sure, SEA is the bigger hub, but maybe the bigger hub could do something more interesting with the aircraft/gate space if less traffic was routed from the smaller hub through the bigger hub. Just a thought.

Obviously, as always, AS has a lot more information than any of us and thus are more likely to make a better decision (for them). I personally would like to see this route added.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 26, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
United and Southwest fly PDX-DEN and both benefit from onward connections. (Sure, AS could have some connections out of PDX - but those would largely compete with AS' own DEN-SEA-xxx connections.)

There is far and way enough O&D traffic to support a E175 without the need for connections. Also routes like PDX-ORD PDX-PHX have 4 or more carriers. And PDX maybe be smaller than SEA but it also is twice as large as their LA operations.

Last edited by gobeavs8; May 26, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.