Using/Adding VX on International Award

Old May 14, 17, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Using/Adding VX on International Award

Since Virgin America has merged, am I able to use international award on Cathay Pacific with the additional stop over with Virgin America as opposed to only Alaska Airlines?

Eg- First class redemption from JNB to HKG to LAX on July 15th then LAX to OGG on Virgin America?

PS should be adding a stop over for one way award ticket for title
Old May 14, 17, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Nope, for the moment VX is still treated as a partner and you can't mix two partners on one ticket.
Old May 15, 17, 8:30 am
Original Poster

PV Premier- Thank for the answer
Old May 24, 17, 11:37 pm

Using VX to domestically on international award

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to Alaska Mileage Plan and I'm planning my first trip. As far as I understand, you can use 1 partner + Alaska on an international award. My question is: can I fly virgin america instead of Alaska? Or would that break the itinerary? I just called Alaska and the agent said yes, but I don't think he understood my question. Has anyone have experience in this?

Lastly, just want to quickly run my plan by the experts on this forum I want to fly NRT-BOS (stop over)-LAX. Is this allowed? Nothing I found online said I can't backtrack, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 17, 12:11 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
The agent was wrong; combining VX with another partner probably won't be allowed until they're on AS's operating certificate. That's hopefully going to happen before the end of the year, so if you're booking 330 days out you might have a chance of adding VX segments before you depart.

As for the routing: the stopover at the gateway city should be allowed, but AS has some unpublished rules on backtracking that, from what I've heard, might prohibit routing BOS-LAX a transpacific award. But I've also heard that the res agents don't always enforce those rules, so your mileage may vary.
Old May 25, 17, 1:45 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
The agent was wrong; combining VX with another partner probably won't be allowed until they're on AS's operating certificate. That's hopefully going to happen before the end of the year, so if you're booking 330 days out you might have a chance of adding VX segments before you depart.
The SOC won't be until 2019. VX award combinations will be sooner.
Old May 29, 17, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
The SOC won't be until 2019. VX award combinations will be sooner.
I thought AS was looking for a SOC in 2018?

Then again, I might be wrong.
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post

As for the routing: the stopover at the gateway city should be allowed, but AS has some unpublished rules on backtracking that, from what I've heard, might prohibit routing BOS-LAX a transpacific award. But I've also heard that the res agents don't always enforce those rules, so your mileage may vary.
So it correct we can now use VX flights in conjunction with AS international partners now?
Old Feb 12, 18, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vxmike View Post
So it correct we can now use VX flights in conjunction with AS international partners now?
For flights from April 25.
Old Feb 12, 18, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
For flights from April 25.
Great, thanks!
Old Feb 12, 18, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by vxmike View Post
Great, thanks!
Yes - after that day they are really not VX flights anymore right? Regardless I had booked LAX-LHR-ZRH for December at the 330 day booking window and just today I added a SFO-LAX flights.

Old Feb 13, 18, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post

Yes - after that day they are really not VX flights anymore right? Regardless I had booked LAX-LHR-ZRH for December at the 330 day booking window and just today I added a SFO-LAX flights.

correct, all flights for sale departing 4/25 and forward are already considered AS flights.
Old Feb 18, 18, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
Nope, for the moment VX is still treated as a partner and you can't mix two partners on one ticket.
Is it allowed yet?
Old Feb 18, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by buruch View Post
Is it allowed yet?
It shouldn't be an issue on/after April 25, when VX-coded flights go away (everything will be AS-coded).
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
yes its all set based on what date you are flying. Example RDU-SFO is former VX metal on day 1 4/25

Search this Thread
Search Engine: