Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Previous discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/872140-qx-intends-start-service-pae-paine-field-everett-wa.html
Print Wikipost

New Flights from Paine Field!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
So awesome! But they probably won't be flying where I need to go much. Maybe sometime I will get to fly out of PAE. When I was flying redeyes SEA-IAD-ABE all the time I was dreaming of a PAE-ABE run ... haha!
Old May 17, 2017, 9:36 pm

Cannot wait for the day. PAE is 6 miles closer but at least 30 mins shorter.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I think we will see more expansions like this to smaller airports as the big hubs reach capacity and undergo construction to expand. Definitely a big win for those out in the north and east Seattle suburbs.

It's likely to attract some attention from WN or B6 too. Since Paine Field only has 2 runways right now, it will be interesting to see how long it takes before they add two more as traffic ramps up over the next couple of years.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
This is great news! I'm glad Alaska is embracing the idea of a second Seattle Airport. So many hub carriers do the opposite and try to shut plans for a second airport down.

Living near Capitol Hill, this still seems less convenient than sea-tac for me, but light rail service heading north could make a difference.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Yeah I'm thinking SFO/LAX/LAS/PDX/ANC as well. Living in S. King County, I will still prefer SEA over PAE. However, I'm sure those in Seattle (or north of Seattle) will prefer PAE if they drive their car (or take Lyft/Uber/etc.).
I live in NW Seattle and this is why I'll still be going out of SEA, especially once Link opens at Northgate in 2021. Swift Green will be handy but that'd be a 3-bus trip from anywhere except the county line (Aurora Village TC) and the walk from Link to the SeaTac terminal is covered. I can't see there being a covered walkway from Airport Rd/100th to the new terminal.

I'm also a little surprised that this announcement got made without Mukilteo or Edmonds rattling some swords. Mukilteo lost in court late last year but I thought they still had a ways to go. Maybe the two-gate limit for the current lease will mollify the neighbors somewhat?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:29 pm
vgc

Originally Posted by missamo80
Who's on the inaugural flight with me? @beckoa I know you'll be in, who else?

Neil
As someone who lives near Paine Field, MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Old May 17, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
My guess of routes:
LAX 2 flts daily
SFO 2 flts daily
PDX 2 flts daily
GEG 2 flts daily
HNL 4 flts weekly
OGG 3 flts weekly
Old May 18, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
shortest WN to my knowledge is AUS-HOU, hardly the same metro...

most recent examples of short flights within the same metro area were primarily operated by OOdbaUAX with ONT-LAX and OXR (oxnard)-LAX, IIRC. both flights were about 25% longer than a hypothetical PAE-SEA.

both of those went belly up quite awhile ago and would certainly have not survived the retirement of the EMB120s anyways. i'd be willing to wager that PAE-SEA, if priced correctly for connecting traffic, would be modestly successful as a twice a day flight on Q400 or operated by PenAir.
While not a regularly scheduled flight, B6 flew 2x BUR-LGB RTs when the 405 was closed (the carmageddon weekend in 2011)
Old May 18, 2017, 7:07 am

I wonder if any of the legacies will join in? I could see DL to SLC, UA to SFO/DEN, maybe AA to PHX.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cruss74
I wonder if any of the legacies will join in? I could see DL to SLC, UA to SFO/DEN, maybe AA to PHX.
The only one that I could possibly see doing it is DL because it seems their current mode is to attack. UA and AA seem to be in retreat.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Great news!

I'll bet the Hilton Garden Inn up there will make a bundle on park n fly. Traffic could be interesting though, given the heavy traffic to/from Boeing at times.
Ok, so there's an airport hotel already.

Are there any non-airport rental car outlets nearby enough that could be converted to airport rental car outlets, or will they have to build that too?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Since Paine Field only has 2 runways right now, it will be interesting to see how long it takes before they add two more as traffic ramps up over the next couple of years.
Very unlikely to happen in the next few decades.

Along with the usual NIMBYs they have a local evironmenal engineer well know for killing projects on their team.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bretmd
This is great news! I'm glad Alaska is embracing the idea of a second Seattle Airport. So many hub carriers do the opposite and try to shut plans for a second airport down.

Living near Capitol Hill, this still seems less convenient than sea-tac for me, but light rail service heading north could make a difference.
In fact, a decade or so ago, when WN made rumblings of wanting to go to BFI, AS said "not so fast, we'll take space there too".

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-boeing-field/
Old May 18, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Cruss74
Probably not as far as AA/UA go. They both ignore DAL and MDW, WAY larger airports. DL is a little more aggressive, serving all of OAK, LGB, DAL, MDW.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 18, 2017 at 11:34 am Reason: corrected because derrr, DAL not OAK
Old May 18, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I just want a PAE-PAE flight that taxis around and lets me see all the new Boeing planes .

Very excited for this!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.