Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK Awards Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SriMan
My wife and I just arrived on Emirates yesterday on a BLR-DXB-SEA route booked with Emirates Skyrewards points in F class. Besides us, the F Class cabin was empty on both legs (on the BLR-DXB segment, just one pax).
Logically, appears partner award space is available, just not bookable.

Seeing Emirates seats availability on the Alaska site , we tried to book our children on the same route - I have 250K+ miles and my wife 150k+ on Alaska Mileage Plan - to no avail. We called Alaska Customer Service (on our own dime paying International rates, from India), Emirates Airlines customer service - but no one could help.

We ended up putting our children on a separate fight from BLR-BOM-NRT-SEA on ANA airlines and they arrived today.

The Alaska-Emirates booking has not worked for months - and in this case ended up costing us a to of money: phone calls, miles purchased to top up AS Mileage Plan, miles to buy ANA tickets to get home.

I would like someone at Alaska and Emirates to be accountable and let us know how they will remedy and rectify this.
The fact that seats were available does not mean that award space was as well, much less the level of space available to partners (which is always less than that an airline reserves for its own program members).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Alaska
Award space

Originally Posted by jinglish
The fact that seats were available does not mean that award space was as well, much less the level of space available to partners (which is always less than that an airline reserves for its own program members).
@jinglish I would agree, but for the fact that AS Mileage Plan site did show bookable space for two (till the final payment transaction failed).

I expect their math computes as:

Total Space in F (minus) award space for Skyrewards (minus) non-award (revenue only space) = Partner Award space (first come, first served) eg AS.

Allocation to Skyrewards and Partner awards are separate numbers.

It is a booking problem... took 30 mins with an EK agent to book the Skyrewards space in the first place (2 seats) - not a 'rules' issues.

All of us trying to book are only doing so because it shows up on AS MP searches - before and after my Skyrewards booking i.e. if award space was common to EK and AS and limited to two, it should have disappeared from the AS search ... unless the systems are not realtime and there is latency and other rules affecting availability.

Unless someone from EK/AS clarifies allocations, this has the makings of a process/system/interface problem.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Has anyone had an update as to whether or not Alaska award bookings on Premium cabins on Emirates work yet?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:39 am

Not working

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Has anyone had an update as to whether or not Alaska award bookings on Premium cabins on Emirates work yet?
I have been trying for the last 2-3 days. Not working. Another thing is that LAX-DXB shows availability on Qantas, JL and expert flyer but does not show availability in Alaska. It does show availability on SFO-DXB but gives same error on website. I called Alaska and they said that they don't show availability and website is not updated. SFO-DXB shows availability on Experflyer, Qantas and JL as well.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adshakil
I have been trying for the last 2-3 days. Not working. Another thing is that LAX-DXB shows availability on Qantas, JL and expert flyer but does not show availability in Alaska. It does show availability on SFO-DXB but gives same error on website. I called Alaska and they said that they don't show availability and website is not updated. SFO-DXB shows availability on Experflyer, Qantas and JL as well.
yes this has been the running theme with AS since May. It's really unfair, and at this point I'm starting to wonder if we're even allowed to make Award bookings on EK in C or F.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:44 am

It seems like they are not doing anything to fix the problem or anyone in Alaska even knows that this problem exists.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Adshakil
It seems like they are not doing anything to fix the problem or anyone in Alaska even knows that this problem exists.
As you now know from the response to your query on the "Ask Missy" thread, AS knows about the problem. But no one at AS will clarify or confirm what exactly the problem is or when it will be fixed. And this has been the status quo now for months.

Frankly, given that award redemptions are the currency of all FF programs, AS's persistent unwillingness to be forthright with its customers about this problem is poor form, to say the least. I suppose they might not want to aggravate a difficult situation between AS and EK, but why not issue a diplomatically worded statement of some sort? If, on the other hand, the problem is simply a matter of AS's own deficient IT, AS ought to be fully upfront about that: own it, apologize and provide a realistic horizon for repair. I'm not sure even that is a reasonable excuse. After all, what is to prevent AS from setting up--at its expense--a phone link with EK to handle these redemptions until any IT problems are cleared up? Isn't it just as likely that AS is trying to shave some expense from its financial statement?

Ultimately, AS can thumb its nose at its customers about this if it chooses. As usual, what are your alternatives? For EK redemptions, the answer is basically none. And if the threat is to switch FF programs altogether, well, we all know about the ongoing contraction of FF programs across the board in a minimally competitive environment. So, good luck being treated better elsewhere.

This is personally frustrating because I like to redeem in EK F. Inflation of the miles requirement was bad enough, but having the redemptions disappear altogether without explanation is hard to swallow.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
I have a feeling of why, I bet that EK has ended the partnership with AS.

As Alaska has now been fired from its partnership from DAL and AA has basically fired them as well,AS is keeping quiet about it for now. They don't want to have any more bad news or partnership devaluations now more then ever with the VX purchase or upset and loose any more customers. If this is true, it will be a huge blow to the already problematic issue of finding and redeeming on partners that offer a quality product.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY

As Alaska has now been fired from its partnership from DAL and AA has basically fired them as well,AS is keeping quiet about it for now. They don't want to have any more bad news or partnership devaluations now more then ever with the VX purchase or upset and loose any more customers. If this is true, it will be a huge blow to the already problematic issue of finding and redeeming on partners that offer a quality product.
...Oh boy.

Last I checked, people were still having successes with coach award reservations, and we've heard no complaints that Mileage Plan members aren't getting credit for EK flights.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY

Not sure I'd buy this absent evidence beyond inability to book EK F and J awards.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
...Oh boy.

Last I checked, people were still having successes with coach award reservations, and we've heard no complaints that Mileage Plan members aren't getting credit for EK flights.
I tried booking coach for the same flight and did not have any problems booking. Its only F and J that is the problem. Nonetheless, it is a problem and someone needs to fix that.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hate to say it but it's looking like more and more we're not gonna have access to premium cabins on EK.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Hate to say it but it's looking like more and more we're not gonna have access to premium cabins on EK.
When AS couldn't get JL Premium awards to work they just stopped allowing them. I'm surprised AS has not discontinued Premium EK awards all together. I would not be shocked if its coming down the line.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Not quite sure how or why it worked, but I booked an EK J award ANC (AS Y)-LAX-DXB (EK J)-FCO- (EK J) a couple of weeks ago. Last night I booked the same itinerary except LAX-DXB in EK F and then cancelled the first award after being notified by AS that I could not hold both itineraries. Both leaving ANC May 1, 2018 arriving FCO May 4, 2018.

The system is cracked but not fully broken apparently.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
When AS couldn't get JL Premium awards to work they just stopped allowing them. I'm surprised AS has not discontinued Premium EK awards all together. I would not be shocked if its coming down the line.
Wait... what about JL? We can't book JL premium awards with miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.