EK Awards Not Working

Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Interestingly enough, I just got an email from Alaska that was a survey about booking international awards on their international partners. I thought that was really funny, and I don't know if this thread has anything to do with it, or if it's related at all but hopefully they're doing something.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Meanwhile, they still advertise redemptions on Emirates.
Originally Posted by maverick17
I know this thread seems to be mostly, or entirely, about J and F, but would just add a dp that I had no trouble at all today booking an AS award with EK in Y. Whether or not J and F issues are getting better, I have no information.
But by all means, call up your state AG and ask about suing for bait and switch, I guess. (Not that it matters, FF programs are under the federal DOT, and good luck with that bait and switch lawsuit.)

Note:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irates-awards/

I’ll try to reach out to some contacts at the two airlines to figure out what’s going on. In the meantime it’s disappointing that this problem has been going on for over a month.
Note also that someone else in that thread recently redeemed J.

Garret says:
June 19, 2017 at 5:09 pm
I ran into this issue recently. I jumped on the recent Emirates price mistake for Maldives (one way return), so I needed a way to get there. Decide to use my big bank of Alaska miles for business class on Emirates, but couldn’t get it going SEA->DXB->MLE. I had to settle for SEA->LAX->DXB->MLE. But on the plus side I get to fly the A380 out of LAX instead of the B777 out of SEA.
Lucky's pretty good at monitoring "Ask Lucky" and so on. So keep on asking him and work all the angles you can, I suppose. Have you tried asking how this is proceeding in the ask missydarlin thread?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Companies can say whatever they want. Results are what matter. It's been 6-8 weeks since this problem has been "escalated" and brought to their attention, and we have gotten no results. Meanwhile, they still advertise redemptions on Emirates. This is simply inexcusable.
Exactly. If it's down and they are legitimately working on it take the unbookable awards off the website and properly notify logged in members on the "Use Miles" page and those in the process of making mileage purchases.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Exactly. If it's down and they are legitimately working on it take the unbookable awards off the website and properly notify logged in members on the "Use Miles" page and those in the process of making mileage purchases.
It's not all that clear. Some awards are working (see above). Some are not.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's not all that clear. Some awards are working (see above). Some are not.
Hence why they need to fix the problem. They don't advertise that some awards are bookable, and some have space but you'll get an error message.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hence why they need to fix the problem. They don't advertise that some awards are bookable, and some have space but you'll get an error message.
Who is "they"? It also isn't clear that "they" is "Alaska Airlines". If it's "Emirates Airline", then yelling at Alaska may help release stress and convey to them that they need to push EK for a resolution, but it's not entirely up to Alaska to fix it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Who is "they"? It also isn't clear that "they" is "Alaska Airlines". If it's "Emirates Airline", then yelling at Alaska may help release stress and convey to them that they need to push EK for a resolution, but it's not entirely up to Alaska to fix it.
trying to pin this problem on Emirates is preposterous. Yes "they" as in Alaska.

Alaska promotes their international partners, and how global they are, and how you can redeem awards on all of their partners. How wonderful.

This is not the case since when trying to book certain awards on Emirates ON ALASKA'S website, and subsequently when calling into the call center for help, you get an error message even though we know the award space is there.

And yes I get it, there are errors and sometimes kinks in the system. But Alaska has had 6 to 8 weeks to address this problem, and it's not been fixed. If it'd been a week or two I could understand that maybe we should give them a little bit more time. But this is been brought to Alaska's attention for a long time now, all the while they are selling miles and promoting awards on Emirates when you cannot book them!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trying to pin this problem on Emirates is preposterous.
Why? What's your expertise in understanding airline booking systems, other than being a frustrated customer who can't book the flights they want, and who is impatient at the pace the problem is being fixed?

But hey, you want to rant as opposed to asking the Alaska rep here what's going on, despite evidence that some EK awards are being booked but yours aren't, more power to you.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Why? What's your expertise in understanding airline booking systems, other than being a frustrated customer who can't book the flights they want, and who is impatient at the pace the problem is being fixed?

But hey, you want to rant as opposed to asking the Alaska rep here what's going on, despite evidence that some EK awards are being booked but yours aren't, more power to you.
It's not only me whose having a problem. Scroll up and see the numerous people who are reporting problems. The ones reporting the problems heavily outweigh the one or two individuals who've reported success. I've been 75K with AS for 15 years. I love the airline. I love the staff. I love that they are honest, on-time, transparent, and really care about their customers. I love they are probably the last airline standing that don't treat us like just another number. I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

But to have a problem as wide spread as this for 8 weeks after bringing it to AS's attention, and for that entire timeframe with no results or headway is not okay. Not to mention the only little feedback we've gotten from AS, which by the way has been unofficial, is basically "we're working on it," that's not okay.

AS should either A) have had it fixed by now, or B) let people know what is going on, inform people who are buying miles, and accumulating miles that they are having a widespread problem with EK awards in premium cabins. This would be the right thing to do. Why do you think it's ok to continue selling miles to people, many of whom are buying with the intent to purchase EK awards, but are not able to, is ok?

To have a problem like this for this long of a period of time, and not really engage anyone, update us, and continue selling miles, and acting as if all is well is bad business, and downright unethical. I'm not even buying miles with the intention of redeeming them on EK, but many are, and do you see why that is a problem?

I am not an AS hater by any means. I'm an AS cheerleader. But they need to address and update loyal customers on what is going on with this prolific widespread error, what they're doing about it, and when it should be fixed. That would be the correct customer service thing to do. Period.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Jun 21, 2017 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is a problem that EK has to fix, you think that AS should make a commitment for another company? And what exactly is AS going to be able to do if EK tells them to pound sand when AS says "our customers on FlyerTalk who like to buy miles to fly EK are enraged, so fix it by (insert date here)"?

You are assuming this is a problem AS has complete control over (contradicting a public statement otherwise, I might add).

Or are you suggesting AS should shut down EK awards like they shut down AM awards? That is one way to "fix" the problem that is 100% in AS control- block EK from displaying. Would that satisfy you? It certainly removes any illusion that you can purchase miles for showers at 35,000 feet. Again, be careful what you ask for.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 21, 2017 at 8:05 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If this is a problem that EK has to fix, you think that AS should make a commitment for another company? And what exactly is AS going to be able to do if EK tells them to pound sand when AS says "our customers on FlyerTalk who like to buy miles to fly EK are enraged, so fix it by (insert date here)"?

You are assuming this is a problem AS has complete control over (contradicting a public statement otherwise, I might add).

Or are you suggesting AS should shut down EK awards like they shut down AM awards? That is one way to "fix" the problem that is 100% in AS control- block EK from displaying. Would that satisfy you? It certainly removes any illusion that you can purchase miles for showers at 35,000 feet. Again, be careful what you ask for.
All I'm asking for is transparency, and for Alaska to let us know what they're doing to fix the problem. That's not too much to ask for.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I'm asking for is transparency, and for Alaska to let us know what they're doing to fix the problem. That's not too much to ask for.
So if they say "it's a problem EK has to resolve on their end and we don't know when it will be resolved by them", that's transparent?

PS:

Originally Posted by missydarlin
It's neither of those things, but it is being worked on.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So if they say "it's a problem EK has to resolve on their end and we don't know when it will be resolved by them", that's transparent?

PS:
Yes that would be an example of transparency by letting your customers know what's going on, very good. You're catching on to what constitutes good customer service.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Jun 22, 2017 at 4:28 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:56 pm

I just got the survey and shared my overall dissatisfaction with the partner award search process. I encourage others to do the same.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I just got the survey and shared my overall dissatisfaction with the partner award search process. I encourage others to do the same.
+1👍🏼

This issue pales in comparison to their website where the only real way to book award flights is find your own flights using multiple different airline award availability tools. If you're someone who is not well versed in this award game and have a bunch of AS Miles you're SOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.