Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I obviously don't understand how Premium Class upgrades work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I obviously don't understand how Premium Class upgrades work

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Twice in the last few weeks my wife and I have had cross aisle seats in Y booked and got "upgraded" to a window and middle seat in Y+. In both cases I moved us back to regular coach, cross aisle as we prefer aisle seats. In those cases we were "gaps" on the upgrade list.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Twice in the last few weeks my wife and I have had cross aisle seats in Y booked and got "upgraded" to a window and middle seat in Y+. In both cases I moved us back to regular coach, cross aisle as we prefer aisle seats. In those cases we were "gaps" on the upgrade list.
Apparently that's how the upgrade logic is written
Old May 17, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Did you make a selection when you bought the ticket to be upgraded into PC and F, or just PC, or just F?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by missamo80
Well, for those who like conspiracy theories, here's the reply I got on Twitter:

Sigh.

Also the reason why the list at the gate looks different is the gate only shows FC upgrade requests, not PC upgrade requests.

Neil
Wow, that's a terrible public response for AS to put out there.

DL manages to separate its F and C+ waitlists transparently and DL is among the worst airlines about transparency, so hopefully this is on AS 'to do' list.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

I read the thread and am still confused. I just bought my husband and a business associate tickets using a companion cert. My husband is MVP. I picked the lowest fare. Premium seats were available for $45 per segment. Do the "free" premium seats require a higher fare in order to be instantly confirmed?

Upthread, scottrick said that mvps could pick premium seats if available at time of check in. Where can I find that online? Will my husband also be on the list for a first class upgrade at the gate? What if he doesn't have a premium seat, is there an automatic list for that?

Does it matter? (Premium versus non premium seat)

Does his business associate remain in his original seat or does he follow my husband's status?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Your husband can access the premium class seats:

1) Immediately, if the fare purchased was Y, Z, S, or B
2) At 48 hours prior to departure if Alaska upgrades him

He won't be upgraded if:

1) The only available seats in PC are middles
2) He's seated in an exit row
3) He opts out of PC upgrades

You can't just pick a seat at check-in time if one is available. You have to actually be upgraded to PC to pick a PC seat.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades

Neil
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

More answers:

The business associate will not get upgraded. MVPs can only upgrade themselves, not other people.

Your husband can request both a first class and a PC upgrade. You do this by going into the reservation and clicking the upgrade request button (if it doesn't already show your husband as waitlisted)

Neil
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:05 pm

The link above was very helpful. Thank you.

Your husband can request both a first class and a PC upgrade. You do this by going into the reservation and clicking the upgrade request button (if it doesn't already show your husband as waitlisted)

Neil
I've looked repeatedly at his booking. I see no upgrade request button.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The link above was very helpful. Thank you.

I've looked repeatedly at his booking. I see no upgrade request button.
Does it say First Class Waitlisted and Premium Class Waitlisted? If not, try calling in/tweeting them.

Neil
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
More answers:

The business associate will not get upgraded. MVPs can only upgrade themselves, not other people.

Neil
She said she used a companion code and (I think she said) the husband is the only MVP. To upgrade only one pax, the PNR would have to be split, which is not allowed on a companion fare booking as both parties must travel together in the same cabin. So unless the colleague also has status and they upgrade at the same time, he will not even go on the upgrade list.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:35 am

I read the thread and am still confused. I just bought my husband and a business associate tickets using a companion cert. My husband is MVP. I picked the lowest fare. Premium seats were available for $45 per segment. Do the "free" premium seats require a higher fare in order to be instantly confirmed?

Upthread, scottrick said that mvps could pick premium seats if available at time of check in. Where can I find that online? Will my husband also be on the list for a first class upgrade at the gate? What if he doesn't have a premium seat, is there an automatic list for that?

Does his business associate remain in his original seat or does he follow my husband's status?
My husband has now flown and I thought I'd circle around and report on what happened. It was different (and better) in certain aspects than advised on this thread.

Setting the stage:
  • Used a companion certificate to purchase tickets
  • Husband is MVP
  • Traveling companion doesn't even have an AS account
  • Initial seats were in coach and there was no indicator that flights were eligible for upgrades.

What happened:
  • Check in opened at 24 hour mark. Upgrades were available both directions.
  • Husband got a free upgrade both directions; companion got an upgrade for $50 outbound, $53 return

Needless to say, this was the best of all possible outcomes. One query: any idea why the $3 delta in the upgrade fee? Routing was SAN-SEA-YAK-SEA-SAN. Upgrades were SAN-SEA-SAN.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:58 am

The app wants to charge me (MVPG) for Premium seat this evening. I didn't pay and it got filled; if another non-middle seat opens I'll call in if it wants to charge me again.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Needless to say, this was the best of all possible outcomes. One query: any idea why the $3 delta in the upgrade fee? Routing was SAN-SEA-YAK-SEA-SAN. Upgrades were SAN-SEA-SAN.
For some reason the DOT tax of 7.5% is being assessed on some upgrades now. Not sure why- but have seen it off and on. Glad it worked out for them.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My husband has now flown and I thought I'd circle around and report on what happened. It was different (and better) in certain aspects than advised on this thread.

Setting the stage:
  • Used a companion certificate to purchase tickets
  • Husband is MVP
  • Traveling companion doesn't even have an AS account
  • Initial seats were in coach and there was no indicator that flights were eligible for upgrades.

What happened:
  • Check in opened at 24 hour mark. Upgrades were available both directions.
  • Husband got a free upgrade both directions; companion got an upgrade for $50 outbound, $53 return

If your husband was MVPG then the other passenger would be upgraded at no charge.

MVP Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.

When I use a companion certificate I look for immediately available upgrade space and pay for the upgradable fare to first. The companion fare is still $99 + fees & taxes but since you are purchasing an economy fare the certificate is still valid. Once purchased both parties are immediately upgraded to first and you can go into the reservation and select your seats.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.