"Elite Leave" Status Extension Benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
"Elite Leave" Status Extension Benefit

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...n/elite-leave/

[...] That’s where Elite Leave comes in – a brand-new program enabling Alaska Mileage Plan elite members to extend status for an additional year when they go on parental leave. That means members who have taken or will take a parental leave that ends this year can extend their status through the end of 2018. In future years, status will be extended through the calendar year following the end of leave.
This is certainly a nice additional benefit, but I wonder why they didn't choose to go Hilton's route with the diamond status extension model that allows you to request a status extension for any reason (such as temporary change in job travel patterns, etc.)

Neil
Old May 11, 2017, 12:34 pm

Very cool idea. I wonder what "proof of leave" they require. I won't formally go on parental leave, instead using hours of sick leave later this year for parental leave.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by missamo80
...This is certainly a nice additional benefit, but I wonder why they didn't choose to go Hilton's route with the diamond status extension model that allows you to request a status extension for any reason (such as temporary change in job travel patterns, etc.)...
That would have been nice, especially for those who have to stop flying temporarily to take care of an elderly parent or something. But this way AS probably figures they get first shot at getting that new baby signed up for Mileage Plan. Marketing types think that way.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This is certainly a nice additional benefit, but I wonder why they didn't choose to go Hilton's route with the diamond status extension model that allows you to request a status extension for any reason (such as temporary change in job travel patterns, etc.)
Agreed, there are other reasons for a temporary slowdown in travel (accident, major medical condition) that would be deserving, too.

That said, while I won't benefit from this new benefit, I still think it is a good thing. And hopefully a "pilot" for future extension.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Having been a customer of this company for 31 years, I would expect and believe that after some time of being a good customer, if you had a very specific legitimate reason for needing a one time extension, the Mileage Plan would listen and consider a request.

I think it wise not to have a "cat (or dog) ate my Mileage Plan Card" panoply of excuses as a published benefit.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:10 pm

Was/am planning to requalify the old fashioned way this year but I'll send in my leave paperwork and take a granted extension if they're giving them out. Better to have that in the pocket than not.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Agreed, there are other reasons for a temporary slowdown in travel (accident, major medical condition) that would be deserving, too.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Having been a customer of this company for 31 years, I would expect and believe that after some time of being a good customer, if you had a very specific legitimate reason for needing a one time extension, the Mileage Plan would listen and consider a request.

I think it wise not to have a "cat (or dog) ate my Mileage Plan Card" panoply of excuses as a published benefit.
I agree. But discretion is even mentioned in the Alaska blog post:

Alaska’s customer service agents, who are empowered to go beyond to make things right for customers, have long been making these exceptions on a case-by-case basis when elite flyers inquire. Today’s announcement formalizes the policy for all new parents.
Parental leave is relatively easy to define and therefore formalize. Things like caring for a parent, injury, etc are much harder to define the border between enough to merit an extension/exception and not, so I think not formalizing anything but parental leave makes sense.

By the way, Virgin Australia has had a similar policy for years. (My spouse took advantage of it.) It looks like Qantas matched recently.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:34 pm
vgc

As someone who will be trying for a family late this year/early next year, this is great to hear!
Old May 12, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

Neil
There are conditions attached to Hilton's program, too. I.e., 3 years of Diamond status and either a minimum number of paid nights or bonus points.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I have no qualms with this policy, except I'm afraid, someone might take advantage for the wrong reasons...

"I'm not making my status for this year, so let's have a kid"
jiburi
Old May 12, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jiburi
I have no qualms with this policy, except I'm afraid, someone might take advantage for the wrong reasons...

jiburi
I'd feel sorry for that kid. It's even worse than the people who have babies as a way to attempt to save their marriages.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd feel sorry for that kid. It's even worse than the people who have babies as a way to attempt to save their marriages.
Why? You know the kid will be halfway to million mile qualification before they're even legal driving age

Neil
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by jiburi
"I'm not making my status for this year, so let's have a kid"
jiburi
So long as you promise to name her Jenn if she is a girl or Tim if it is a boy.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Why? You know the kid will be halfway to million mile qualification before they're even legal driving age

Neil
Originally Posted by ijkh
So long as you promise to name her Jenn if she is a girl or Tim if it is a boy.
This is what makes FT so epic
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:47 am

Reminder for anyone who qualifies for Elite Leave to submit their request!

And a question, for anyone who knows or is better at interpreting the terms. How does Alaska handle situations where new parent leave straddles two years? If I’m 75K for 2017, but due to decreased travel in 2017 only qualified for MVP for 2018, what status would they extend if my leave began in 2017 and ends in January 2018?

The terms state:
Mileage Plan™ elite status (MVP®, MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K) members who go on parental leave at any time starting in 2017 are eligible for Elite Leave: eligible members will be presumed to qualify for their current status in the year in which their parental leave ends, to apply for the following year. As an example, a current (2017) MVP® member who takes parental leave which ends in 2018 will receive MVP® status through 2019.
To me it’s not clear which “current status” they’re referring to—the one when the leave began in 2017, or the one when it ended in 2018. The example in the second sentence seems to contradict the most straightforward interpretation of the first sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.