Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS sued after arrest over denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Alaska sued for denial of boarding, forfeiture of Mileage Plan miles and future flight tickets after lifetime ban.

The interesting part, to me, is the Alaska spokewoman's comments:

According to a police report, a gate agent told officers that Freitag had checked in at the front counter 35 minutes before the flight and “was attempting to board” at the gate 11 minutes before departure.

Zaninovich said passengers must be in the boarding area 40 minutes before departure and that agents can’t let any more passengers on board 10 minutes before departure.
1. Must be in the boarding area at T-40? Then why was he issued a boarding pass at the counter at T-35?

2. For IDB compensation, you must be at your gate no later than T-35 according to this.

3. The real kicker is in Alaska's Contract of Carriage:
H. Airport Check-In Time Limits. Alaska reserves the right to cancel reservations (whether or not confirmed) and seat assignments, deny boarding and/or refuse the acceptance of Checked Baggage of any Passenger who fails to present himself/herself within the time limits preceding posted departure time of applicable flights as indicated in Section I of this Rule. Note: The time limits provided by Alaska in this Rule are minimum time requirements. Due to federal security screening measures in place at airports, Passenger processing time may differ from airport to airport. See Rule 15.C. It is the Passenger's responsibility to ascertain the departure airport's time requirements for security screening so that they comply with Alaska minimum check-in time limits.

I. Passengers must adhere to the following minimum times, which may be revised by Alaska from time to time:
1. <snipped; ticketing cutoff T-60>
2. Reservations and seat assignments may be canceled if Passenger fails to meet the check in and boarding cut-off times noted in Rule 15.C.
Rule 15.C:
C. Checked and Carry-On Baggage.
<snipped>
1. Minimum Times for Checked Baggage: Alaska may refuse to accept any article of Checked Baggage that has not been presented, checked in, and processed at least forty (40) minutes prior to scheduled departure time. Baggage checked in less than forty (40) minutes prior to a flight’s scheduled departure time may be accepted and Alaska will make reasonable efforts, but cannot guarantee, to transport such Baggage on the Passenger’s flight(s). Alaska will not assume responsibility for delivery charges if such Baggage arrives at the Passenger’s destination on a subsequent flight. Baggage for International Carriage will not be accepted if presented to Alaska and processed with less than sixty (60) minutes prior to scheduled departure.
There are no minimum check-in or boarding times in 15.C, other than for checked luggage and even then it may be accepted at Alaska's discretion. As far as I can tell, those times do not appear anywhere in the CoC, unlike other carriers.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Oh, boy. Found this elsewhere in the CoC
Baggage was tendered to Alaska by the Passenger in accordance with the minimum check-in times set forth in Section 14.C
Rule 14 has to do with Acceptance of Service Animals and there's no Section 14.C. What I think happened is that the CoC got edited (baggage check-in times are in 13.C) and the minimum check-in and gate times weren't added back. Oops.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I find this part of the story interesting:

"Alaska has banned Freitag from flying with the airline, the suit states. Zaninovich said Freitag was previously banned for one year in 2009 "due to similar behavior," but this latest ban is indefinite."

So it seems he has a bit of a history of bad behaviour with AS, and indeed with the same GA as in this incident, according to the claim.

"9. The gate agents informed Officer Flinn that Plaintiff no longer had a ticket to
board his flight. One also told Officer Flinn that she had a negative interaction with Plaintiff in the past."
Old May 9, 2017, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've assisted a couple of people with mileage forfeiture on other airlines. Legal action (or the threat of) is about the surest path to never getting the miles back.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wonder if this lawsuit is just another random milking of the United /Dao incident. Seems all the loonies are coming out of woods industry wide looking for the next big pay-out?
Old May 9, 2017, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
I wonder if this lawsuit is just another random milking of the United /Dao incident. Seems all the loonies are coming out of woods industry wide looking for the next big pay-out?
Why not? The family that attempted to claim a seat on board got payola from DL. Squeeky wheels have been getting greased lately instead of told to pound sand.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Why not? The family that attempted to claim a seat on board got payola from DL. Squeeky wheels have been getting greased lately instead of told to pound sand.
The problem seems to me is that everything is caught on video...the problem is it's never quite everything. We never see the full build up to really know who is at fault.

It's always smash cut to a passenger freaking out...what's not shown is how rude/mean/insensitive the airline person was

OR more recently...smash cut to the airline personal behaving badly, never mind the absolutely outrageous behavior the passenger exhibited moments before as the inciting incident.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kop84
It's always smash cut to a passenger freaking out...what's not shown is how rude/mean/insensitive the airline person was

OR more recently...smash cut to the airline personal behaving badly, never mind the absolutely outrageous behavior the passenger exhibited moments before as the inciting incident.
Exactly right.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting that in this case, AS says the passenger had a ticket for First Class. His First Class seat had been given away, but he was offered a coach seat on the same flight and refused it. This entire situation was over his demands that AS remove someone from that First Class seat and make them fly in the coach seat that he refused. The passenger denies that he had a First Class ticket and says that he had a coach ticket, and that he was being denied any seat on the flight. Ticket class should be pretty easy to prove, one way or the other. If I were on the jury, the side that turned out to be wrong on that fact would have a pretty tough time prevailing.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Interesting that in this case, AS says the passenger had a ticket for First Class. His First Class seat had been given away, but he was offered a coach seat on the same flight and refused it. This entire situation was over his demands that AS remove someone from that First Class seat and make them fly in the coach seat that he refused. The passenger denies that he had a First Class ticket and says that he had a coach ticket, and that he was being denied any seat on the flight. Ticket class should be pretty easy to prove, one way or the other. If I were on the jury, the side that turned out to be wrong on that fact would have a pretty tough time prevailing.
Agree that the ticketed cabin should not be a matter of dispute here. I feel more inclined believe the airline here, since they would clearly have record of what cabin the pax was ticketed in. The only question to me would be whether the passenger had a paid F fare or was on a coach fare and subsequently upgraded to F due to elite status (and then had his upgraded seat given away for not showing up at the gate in time). If it is the latter, then I suspect this situation is not at all unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.