Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Price Guarantee with Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Best Price Guarantee with Miles

I am not able to find this anywhere on the Alaska website so I was hoping someone here could help out. If I book a flight using miles and then the price drops, can I use the alaska price guarantee to get those miles back?

Example: Flight is currently 35K miles and I book it (flying around christmas time). In August the flight drops to 25K miles. Can I get those 10K miles back?
Old May 4, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by itsbs2
I am not able to find this anywhere on the Alaska website so I was hoping someone here could help out. If I book a flight using miles and then the price drops, can I use the alaska price guarantee to get those miles back?

Example: Flight is currently 35K miles and I book it (flying around christmas time). In August the flight drops to 25K miles. Can I get those 10K miles back?
You wouldn't be able to use the tool:

https://www.alaskaair.com/booking/ss...edAirfare.aspx

But you could call into AS and have them cancel/reissue the ticket free of charge because it's > 60 days out in your example.

I don't know what would happen inside of 60 days. Maybe ask in this thread and a helpful Alaska employee (missydarlin) will answer your question?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ons-missy.html
Old May 4, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You wouldn't be able to use the tool:

https://www.alaskaair.com/booking/ss...edAirfare.aspx

But you could call into AS and have them cancel/reissue the ticket free of charge because it's > 60 days out in your example.
when cancelling and reissuing, do I incur a cancellation fee?

I have also cross threaded this to ask Missy!
Old May 4, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsbs2
when cancelling and reissuing, do I incur a cancellation fee?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...redeeming.aspx

Change/cancellation fees are waived for when change/cancellation is made at least 60 days before travel.
Note: the partner fee is NEVER refundable on a change/cancel for an award. But partner awards never change pricing. Only AS awards do.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!! I somehow read right past that.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...redeeming.aspx

Note: the partner fee is NEVER refundable on a change/cancel for an award. But partner awards never change pricing. Only AS awards do.
I think this used to be true, but I believe IcelandAir awards can theoretically go down in price as there are Low, Medium, and High Y-class awards which are based on available fare classes at FI. Not sure if it ever happens, but I think they can open up Low fares. FI is the only partner that I'm aware of that has varying economy award levels.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sturges
I think this used to be true, but I believe IcelandAir awards can theoretically go down in price as there are Low, Medium, and High Y-class awards which are based on available fare classes at FI. Not sure if it ever happens, but I think they can open up Low fares. FI is the only partner that I'm aware of that has varying economy award levels.
You're right. I suspect that in that case, cancel/rebook is likely to make you pay another $12.50 one-way/$25 round trip...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
ExpertFlyer just notified me that a flight I had my family on dropped from 30K to 17.5k saver miles. It's < 60 days away. I am 75k, they have no status currently.

i called in to try to get the extra miles, but they would not do this, as the tickets were booked using their miles, not mine.

Disappointing, as it would have been very simple to do this on a cash booking. Ah well.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by DaveH
ExpertFlyer just notified me that a flight I had my family on dropped from 30K to 17.5k saver miles. It's < 60 days away. I am 75k, they have no status currently.

i called in to try to get the extra miles, but they would not do this, as the tickets were booked using their miles, not mine.

Disappointing, as it would have been very simple to do this on a cash booking. Ah well.
Did you try "changing" to the same flights onlline? or cancel/rebook?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.