Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Cancelled flight due to airlines fault?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Alaska airlines cancelled my flight, last flight of the day, at a small remote airport and it was due to their own issues. They offered a 400 dollar voucher for my trouble told me to get a hotel and anything else I needed and talk to customer service when I got back to work things out. Since it was a small airport there are no other carriers and the airport closes at 9 so no staff is there to help. The next seat available is 2 nights from now which was not an option since this was a weekend trip and a busy work week coming. I had to take a cab to the next town 1 hour away and rent a car and drive myself 6 hours to get home plus I missed an important day of work. What should my compensation be other than a refund for my return ticket and expenses. I think a $400 voucher they offered towards future trip is way inadequate. Looking for any advice. Thank you.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ginja
What should my compensation be other than a refund for my return ticket and expenses.
Per US law and the ticket you purchased, nothing.

Those incidental expenses are the sort of thing your travel insurance should cover. If you don't carry insurance then you assume the full financial liability. Your choice.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
$400 voucher plus covering hotel/transport and meals was the compensation for a cancellation this year for me. Yes I too lost out on a day of work.

Seems to be AS' standard offer.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
AS is usually pretty good about this at their smaller stations. I would send a polite note to customer service asking from reimbursement of costs for the taxi and rental car. They have covered ground transport costs for me in the past under similar circumstances.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
Standard Offer

Originally Posted by beckoa
$400 voucher plus covering hotel/transport and meals was the compensation for a cancellation this year for me. Yes I too lost out on a day of work.

Seems to be AS' standard offer.
If its their standard offer, I was left out....
On 2 occasions over the last 8 months I've had AS gate agents in SEA offer nothing other than a re-book 3 days later. Wife and I are both MVP's, live in Edmonton and have been stranded in SEA with no compensation, hotels, or other considerations. We are now spending our half million AS MP miles, and our paid flights are with other carriers. Seems that AS is now employing some GA's who are quick to extend the middle finger to their best customers.
(and yes, I did send a detailed note to customer relations without the courtesy of a response.)
Old May 5, 2017, 1:36 am
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
When I have had an issue, I have called MVP, customer service- and they have been very responsive. If they can not offer assistance they have switched me up the chain. When stranded in Seattle I have just asked what hotel they were sending us to, and they have sent us to the Radison with no questions. And asked for food vouchers- and recieved them. I think it is called an "assumptive close"- I just make the assumption they will do right, and some how it happens.
I have found that if I am open and nice- they are too- and try very hard to accomdate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.