Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First World prob but it's still annoying: seat moves after booking

First World prob but it's still annoying: seat moves after booking

Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
did it appear that the passengers in 6A&B were traveling together? it's possible that they moved you to 6D to seat A/B together and C/D "together".

was 6B given to someone with a disability or who needed extra assistance?

however, since it sounds like this happened before OLCI opened, its more likely explained by an IT thing than a human intervention, IMO.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by rustykettel
You might consider dropping a line to AS, not for compensation, but simply because their IT is falling down. They need to do swaps or whatever's going on without reshuffling pax from their selected seats. I'm sure you're far from the only one annoyed with that. I know I would be.
I'll wait to say anything until after the flight. I wouldn't want them screwing it up any more than they have already.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
did it appear that the passengers in 6A&B were traveling together? it's possible that they moved you to 6D to seat A/B together and C/D "together".

was 6B given to someone with a disability or who needed extra assistance?

however, since it sounds like this happened before OLCI opened, its more likely explained by an IT thing than a human intervention, IMO.
The flight isn't for another 3 weeks so we'll see then.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Ticket purchased 2/20 for travel on 5/21, booked myself into seat 6A and wifey into 6C, I love the window seat and she prefers the aisle. Sometimes the middle seat stays open, sometimes not and when it is used that person always enjoys switching to the aisle and my wife moves next to me.

Checked up on my flight today and found I had been moved to 6D. I know, same row, same legroom, same level of service, but still, why can't I count on keeping the seat I reserved? Is it because we left the center seat open? If that's the reason then I'll just start buying us each our own tickets.

Like the title says......

So today is our flight. I checked us in last night. This morning I awake to an email from Alaska Airlines that says:

We're sorry, but your Premium Class seat is no longer available and you'll be seated in the main cabin. We hope a $25 discount on future travel will help make it right.

Now I don't know what is going on. My reso still shows me in the seat I was first relocated to, 6D, rather than the seat I selected at booking 3 months ago, 6A. My wife's seat 6C has not changed at all. Have I been moved again? Am I really in the main cabin now? How can my row 6 seat (either one of them) be "no longer available"?

I hate to say DYKWWA but really, my wife and I are both MVPG, I'm a MM and she will be soon at 940K miles. In all of my thousands of flights over 28 years on AS I cannot recall a single time, other than an upgrade, that I did not get to sit in the seat I chose at booking. And if I'm really in the main cabin.......

So no AS, a $25 discount will not help make it right.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
So today is our flight. I checked us in last night. This morning I awake to an email from Alaska Airlines that says:

We're sorry, but your Premium Class seat is no longer available and you'll be seated in the main cabin. We hope a $25 discount on future travel will help make it right.

Now I don't know what is going on. My reso still shows me in the seat I was first relocated to, 6D, rather than the seat I selected at booking 3 months ago, 6A. My wife's seat 6C has not changed at all. Have I been moved again? Am I really in the main cabin now? How can my row 6 seat (either one of them) be "no longer available"?

I hate to say DYKWWA but really, my wife and I are both MVPG, I'm a MM and she will be soon at 940K miles. In all of my thousands of flights over 28 years on AS I cannot recall a single time, other than an upgrade, that I did not get to sit in the seat I chose at booking. And if I'm really in the main cabin.......

So no AS, a $25 discount will not help make it right.
You haven't been moved but rather there is no premium class service on your flight. I had the same email before a recent flight. No seat change, they just don't call it 'premium class' anymore on that particular flight.

I seem to recall that reading the email really carefully will say this somewhere. What is the flight? Just do a dummy booking and check to see if there is PC offered. I think you'll see that there isn't. At least that was what happened in my case.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
You haven't been moved but rather there is no premium class service on your flight. I had the same email before a recent flight. No seat change, they just don't call it 'premium class' anymore on that particular flight.

I seem to recall that reading the email really carefully will say this somewhere. What is the flight? Just do a dummy booking and check to see if there is PC offered. I think you'll see that there isn't. At least that was what happened in my case.
It never was premium class it always was just the "more legroom" class. I'm hoping this email is what I should have gotten when they first relocated me a month ago but instead they just send it out on day of flight. Stay tuned!
Old May 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It never was premium class it always was just the "more legroom" class. I'm hoping this email is what I should have gotten when they first relocated me a month ago but instead they just send it out on day of flight. Stay tuned!
Can you post the whole email? I seem to remember that when I read it really carefully, it made it more clear that it was a service change vs a seat change.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Same or similar legroom, free (first) drinks as Golds, so basically $25 discount code for not getting the snack box. Can I get one of those in exchange for not taking it on PC flights like getting points for not using housekeeping?
Old May 21, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Can you post the whole email? I seem to remember that when I read it really carefully, it made it more clear that it was a service change vs a seat change.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Same or similar legroom, free (first) drinks as Golds, so basically $25 discount code for not getting the snack box. Can I get one of those in exchange for not taking it on PC flights like getting points for not using housekeeping?
Yeah, it's ok if I'm still in row 6. I'm just not sure anymore.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

I agree with Finkface's comment about it likely being notification of class of service change.

Looking at AS # 429 on Expert Flyer, it shows that some days it is serviced by an -800 (ie: Premium Economy), including many of the Sundays that I checked in the next month.

On most othher days the route shows a -900. But today (Sunday 5/21) is also showing that it's a -900 -- meaning there is no Premium Economy service.

I do agree that the AS email notifications has been sending this year for both "upgrade" to PE and "downgrade" from PE have been rather confusing.

Last edited by AKCuisine; May 21, 2017 at 10:57 am Reason: Remove a hashtag that was *not* needed ...
Old May 21, 2017, 10:58 am

Yep, same one I got. I was still in row 6, the only change was no premium class service. Meaning the snack box. They just don't offer PC on that flight (they never did even at booking on mine either, which was I was confused as well).

It is a non-reconfig 739. So 4 rows of F and no PC.

Last edited by Finkface; May 21, 2017 at 11:03 am Reason: Removed image
Old May 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I will be flying to DTW on 6/14 and had selected 6C knowing there is a small chance I will be moved, and noting there is no PC on this plane. Sure enough I got a call last week saying they had to move me out of row 6 entirely, I had several choices of seats that were windows between rows 7-17, or aisle seat in row 11. I ended up choosing 11C because exit row windows are too cold for me and I did not want a middle seat in the exit row.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

On board now in 6D. Able-bodied single dude in my original 6A. Go figure.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ctporter
I will be flying to DTW on 6/14 and had selected 6C knowing there is a small chance I will be moved, and noting there is no PC on this plane. Sure enough I got a call last week saying they had to move me out of row 6 entirely, [...]
Did they tell you why?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did they tell you why?
Yes, they did (sorry I forgot to mention the very valid reason why). They have a passenger that needs a wheelchair on board.

I am actually connecting in DTW to PLN, which is a DL flight. I've gotten two notices now about schedule changes for that flight, it is now having me arrive in PLN at 9:52 pm instead of 8:55 pm, which is a bummer because it is my birthday and I was going to meet some folks for a small celebration. Not sure how much fun it will be spending 5 hrs in DTW!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.