Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Present state(as of 4/30/18)
  • AS/VX flights consolidated from T8/T4 to T7 in late 2017
  • Terminal 7 under construction
    • No TSA Precheck
    • Limited restaurant choices
  • Lounges:
    • Purchased day pass option revoked for Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T4
    • Alaska Lounge in T7 opened on April 30 2018. Accepts Priority Pass (usual caveats apply, see Priority Pass Denied Entry thread). Will be open 5 AM-10 PM, except 5 AM-5 PM on Saturdays.
    • No day pass access to BA lounge
Print Wikipost

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by bkojote
4- Alaska squeezes in to T8
+ They'll have access to most of their partners as well as AA. No need to build a new Alaska lounge.
- If AA didn't have room for them in 2017 they sure won't have room for them now.
I think it's wrong to believe that AA of 2017 is a good guidance for AA in 2019. I believe option 4 will occur, as AA has begun removing JFK as a primary hub. AA in 2018 had 10 hubs and they are beginning to consolidate their operations. JFK is one of the redundancies.

Jiburi
Old May 7, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jiburi
I think it's wrong to believe that AA of 2017 is a good guidance for AA in 2019. I believe option 4 will occur, as AA has begun removing JFK as a primary hub. AA in 2018 had 10 hubs and they are beginning to consolidate their operations. JFK is one of the redundancies.

Jiburi
You're saying they're going to drop JFK-LAX/SFO? Because that would be pretty mindblowing if so (and DL/B6 would start throwing a party if AA was going to unconditionally surrender on their transcon premium routes).

And if you're not saying they're surrendering on JFK-LAX/SFO... you're saying that AA is going to let AS operate JFK-LAX/SFO from T8 in direct competition with them? Also pretty mindblowing.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

Jiburi
I think the AA direction is an O&D hub at JFK to pair better with PHL hub. TCONS and TATL are safe in that right sizing. Though it is a little remarkable to see flights to Florida cut from JFK. But it is a competitive market with high costs.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I flew out of JFK Sunday morning. Full Pre-Check in operation with a dedicated lane. It took less than a minute to clear security at 7am.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

Jiburi
I'm gonna say this scenario is least likely. As others have pointed out, downgrading JFK as a primary hub would give up wayyyyy to much revenue from the premium transcon routes. Additionally, the vast majority of new hire FAs are being sent to junior bases like NYC so, if anything, they're adding to JFK.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by FluxTZ
I'm gonna say this scenario is least likely. As others have pointed out, downgrading JFK as a primary hub would give up wayyyyy to much revenue from the premium transcon routes. Additionally, the vast majority of new hire FAs are being sent to junior bases like NYC so, if anything, they're adding to JFK.
They're definitely not adding to JFK. There is an entire thread dedicated to AA's pullback at JFK on their board. I think Doug Parker envisions PHL to become AA's EWR, and he isn't willing to bleed money fighting a losing battle with DL & B6 at JFK. They'll obviously keep the transcons and successful routes around, but it looks like they're willing to put everything else on the chopping block.

Last edited by wolfpacktrojan; May 7, 2019 at 3:45 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 7, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
In any case, AA's first priority would be to accommodate JV partners such as BA which will be without a home once T7 is demolished. AS is not going to be a part of that picture.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
JFK is a Level 3 airport and is slot controlled all day.
There are unlimited slots available from 11PM to 559AM and outside of peak hours in the early morning and evening, less than half of the slots are being used. None of the available times would work well for AS, however, using the model of flying planes from the West Coast and returning right back.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I flew out of JFK Sunday morning. Full Pre-Check in operation with a dedicated lane. It took less than a minute to clear security at 7am.
Apparently, TSA hasn't bothered to update the hours, but it also is showing T7 PreCheck again
Mon 5am-7am
Thu 5am-6am
Sat 5am-7am
Old May 7, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're saying they're going to drop JFK-LAX/SFO? Because that would be pretty mindblowing if so (and DL/B6 would start throwing a party if AA was going to unconditionally surrender on their transcon premium routes).

And if you're not saying they're surrendering on JFK-LAX/SFO... you're saying that AA is going to let AS operate JFK-LAX/SFO from T8 in direct competition with them? Also pretty mindblowing.
Never said anything about JFK-LAX/SFO premium market. AA is still holding on to important routes which are highly valued and will never make the mistake of UA totally ditching JFK. JFK has and always will be an important market for every airline, but expansion from a slot restricted airport is difficult.

AA and AS already operate SFO from Terminal 2, already in direct competition. West coast based airline AS, with no interest in any transatlantic flight this or next decade, can also serve as a feeder to transatlantic AA or BA flight while AA focus on its other 9 hubs.

But AS knows, competition is better at premium product. . Rather, AS has indicated more interest in frequent flyer who will occupy seats more often. I think it's a win for AA, BA, and AS.

Jiburi
Old May 7, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Never said anything about JFK-LAX/SFO premium market. AA is still holding on to important routes which are highly valued and will never make the mistake of UA totally ditching JFK. JFK has and always will be an important market for every airline, but expansion from a slot restricted airport is difficult.

AA and AS already operate SFO from Terminal 2, already in direct competition. West coast based airline AS, with no interest in any transatlantic flight this or next decade, can also serve as a feeder to transatlantic AA or BA flight while AA focus on its other 9 hubs.

But AS knows, competition is better at premium product. . Rather, AS has indicated more interest in frequent flyer who will occupy seats more often. I think it's a win for AA, BA, and AS.

Jiburi
JFK is different than SFO. AA didn’t build SFO T2 nor do they operate it. AA built T8 at JFK and operates it. As such they have far more power to dictate terms, like they do in their lounge at SFO by excluding Alaska Lounge cardholders.

I still think AS will get sent to the new, larger T1 far away from DL, AA and B6. Everyone wins.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Rare unicorn today at 6AM - Full precheck lane. Made a huge huge difference and was through security in 1 minute.

Too bad last Saturday at 1pm there was one shared security line for -everyone- and it was at a standstill. Took 40 minutes to get through.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was through there last week about 7am, pre check was in operation and zero wait time.
Old May 1, 2021, 5:21 am

State of JFK Terminal 7 May 1, 2021

Granted its Saturday, I arrived to JFK via SEA flight early morning May 1, 2021 to a deserted JFK terminal 7.

Terminal 7 is even more empty as ever, as many international flights have all been cancelled in light of many international flight suspension due to covid19. On the terminal flight board, there is only two flight listed, Alaska flight to seattle at 9:30am and Iberia flight at 14:30. In the late afternoon and evening there are more flights operating including one flight for Alaska, one flight for United and one flight for British Airways.

AS is the sole user of Terminal 7 for all of Morning. Notably, all of the concession show no sign of opening, with the exception to Hudson/Dunkin Donut combination right in front of gate 9/10. Not sure whether other concessions are opening later.

Alaska JFK lounge still has no demand, as AS flights are slow to returning, and no Priority club foot traffic of other International airlines coming to fill the void.

With that said, AS has resumed four flights from JFK, two flights to Seattle, one flight to San Francisco, and one flight to Los Angeles. (tho only two flights to Seattle only for this Saturday).

Summer flight options isnt showing too much promise either as AS has removed many of the red-eyes into JFK all of June, July and August.

Jiburi
Old May 1, 2021, 7:57 am

Still no word yet as to what happens to T-7 after BA moves to Terminal 8 next year. If things improve and constructions plans for the extension of Terminal 5 into the T-6/7 space moves forward then T-7 will be demolished. With little AS service this year, they may not bother—especially if as soon as next year they have to find a new home at JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.