Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Present state(as of 4/30/18)
  • AS/VX flights consolidated from T8/T4 to T7 in late 2017
  • Terminal 7 under construction
    • No TSA Precheck
    • Limited restaurant choices
  • Lounges:
    • Purchased day pass option revoked for Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T4
    • Alaska Lounge in T7 opened on April 30 2018. Accepts Priority Pass (usual caveats apply, see Priority Pass Denied Entry thread). Will be open 5 AM-10 PM, except 5 AM-5 PM on Saturdays.
    • No day pass access to BA lounge
Print Wikipost

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
Participation in redevelopment consortium does not equal preferencial rights on new gates. The Port Authority is not going to support any plan that sees existing airlines displaced: every lease holder will retain space, albeit in different or less favorable locations.

It it is worth noting that BA can’t be booted at the end of the T7 lease, it needs to be provided equivalent or better gate and lounge space, which doesn’t exist in T8 today.
AA has mentioned numerous times they'd like to be under the same terminal as their JV partners, which would be BA in this very scenario. With AA cutting as much capacity as they are in JFK, there will be space for BA/IB to move in. T8 is a ghost town for large parts of the day. I should know. I fly out of there all the time. If it's not enough, they can always expand T8 as was in their original plan. Either way, the existing T7 is coming down.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
AA has mentioned numerous times they'd like to be under the same terminal as their JV partners, which would be BA in this very scenario. With AA cutting as much capacity as they are in JFK, there will be space for BA/IB to move in. T8 is a ghost town for large parts of the day. I should know. I fly out of there all the time. If it's not enough, they can always expand T8 as was in their original plan. Either way, the existing T7 is coming down.
There is no room in T8 for BA’s lounges or aircraft during the evening rush. An expansion of T8 would be required to accommodate BA, or AS for that matter.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

There is no room in T8 for BA’s lounges or aircraft during the evening rush. An expansion of T8 would be required to accommodate BA, or AS for that matter.
There is plenty of time to do that and if BA helps with the bill, why wouldn't they? Either way, BA has to make a long term investment at JFK. They either have to help B6 in the rebuilding of T7 or AA with the expansion of T8. AS is a very small player at JFK and will end up where ever there are a few gates left over--probably at the expanded T4. Who knows if AS will even be flying to JFK at all by then--2022+ is a long way off.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:00 pm

T8 has plenty of room to expand (again, it’s literally half built, and the 14 additional gates it has capacity for are 2 more than BA even has now.)

I’m guessing BA/AA will pay for an expansion of their terminal 8 and that will be that. The first round renderings even showed it being built out, so I think that’s ultimately where stuff’s heading.

I think it’s really a question of whether or not Alaska slots into an expanded T8 or slots back into T4 assuming some of the ME3 airlines move to join jetBlue in T5/6/7. I don’t see it super likely they’ll join JetBlue without some sort of broader partnership.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A little crazy to hear this, as AS just added this lounge- and the airport is going thru remodels. Granted I haven't kept up on JFK as much as say SEA, SFO or LAX construction. Know things are dynamic for sure.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
A little crazy to hear this, as AS just added this lounge- and the airport is going thru remodels. Granted I haven't kept up on JFK as much as say SEA, SFO or LAX construction. Know things are dynamic for sure.
I'm wondering if BA was hoping the remodel + occupancy was enough to stave off demolition. It definitely makes the current remodel puzzling as it's 18 months of a really miserable renovation for a terminal that's going to be demolished in 18-24 months. It's also funny the Alaska Lounge was the most aggressive part of the renovation and was done back in April while the rest of the terminal is still a mess.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bkojote
I'm wondering if BA was hoping the remodel + occupancy was enough to stave off demolition. It definitely makes the current remodel puzzling as it's 18 months of a really miserable renovation for a terminal that's going to be demolished in 18-24 months. It's also funny the Alaska Lounge was the most aggressive part of the renovation and was done back in April while the rest of the terminal is still a mess.
Would not be the first time in the last couple years that AS's management has pumped money into something that was unlikely to have a good return on that investment They knew this was coming so if they were seriously believing their investment in T7 would be for the long term, they really need some people on the management team that do a bit more due diligence before sinking cash into something.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bkojote
BA has a lease at T7 through 2022. Did I fall asleep and it’s 2020?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/jet...ion-1522056601
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There is plenty of time to do that and if BA helps with the bill, why wouldn't they? Either way, BA has to make a long term investment at JFK. They either have to help B6 in the rebuilding of T7 or AA with the expansion of T8. AS is a very small player at JFK and will end up where ever there are a few gates left over--probably at the expanded T4. Who knows if AS will even be flying to JFK at all by then--2022+ is a long way off.
There’s going to be very few net-new gates added at JFK. Because slots.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

BA has a lease at T7 through 2022. Did I fall asleep and it’s 2020?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/jet...ion-1522056601
I mis-read another article stating full completion by 2023 and not 2025. Still seems bonkers that all of this construction (18 months worth) is for something getting demo’d In 3 years.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:36 am

BA lease is until 2022, so the plan is to start construction on T7 side of things after the lease ends. AA has been cutting back a lot of capacity in the past 2 years. There will be enough space for them. If not, they certainly can build out T8 more to handle the additional requirement from BA. Outside of JL, T8 will be for One World airlines.

T4 will be for Delta and its JV partners. And they may build out more too if they don't think that's enough space. Everyone else will most likely end up in North or South terminal. I'd imagine south terminal would be more expensive due to having only wide body gates. South terminal will probably be the nicest one when all is said and done. All the big name airlines are going to want to move in there and fight for lounge spacing.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:55 am

BA lease is until 2022, so the plan is to start construction on T7 side of things after the lease ends. AA has been cutting back a lot of capacity in the past 2 years. There will be enough space for them. If not, they certainly can build out T8 more to handle the additional requirement from BA. Outside of JL, T8 will be for One World airlines.

T4 will be for Delta and its JV partners. And they may build out more too if they don't think that's enough space. Everyone else will most likely end up in North or South terminal. I'd imagine south terminal would be more expensive due to having only wide body gates. South terminal will probably be the nicest one when all is said and done. All the big name airlines are going to want to move in there and fight for lounge spacing.
Again, there is not going to be wholesale terminal expansions because there aren’t enough slots to support increased flight activity.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:53 am

Again, there is not going to be wholesale terminal expansions because there aren’t enough slots to support increased flight activity.
rumour is that slots are going away in 2019. Also even if slots are not going away, airlines are going to want more space for themselves. They are going to upgauge over time so we will get more A380 sized gates.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:55 pm

rumour is that slots are going away in 2019. Also even if slots are not going away, airlines are going to want more space for themselves. They are going to upgauge over time so we will get more A380 sized gates.
Yeah, keep chasing that Jetblue dream with whatever rationalization you need.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Nobody is buying more A380s other than EK- if it wasn’t for EK the A380 would be shutting down their lines soon. Is EK going to make JFK a hub or something?
jinglish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.