Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Becomes Worlds First Airbus A321neo Operator

Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Airbus Delivers First A321neo to Virgin America

Inaugural flight is SFO-DCA on 5/31. Interesting that it starts out on an transcon after AS said it might be a better "north-to-south airplane."
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dayone
Interesting that it starts out on an transcon after AS said it might be a better "north-to-south airplane."
Not surprising at all. Plane and crew (VX) already allocated for the route, and they probably can't currently swap a DCA slot between AS and VX as they remain two separate carriers.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:03 pm

Also, wasn't it the 320s that were "north-south" planes (for range / capacity reasons)?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by jamespvg
Also, wasn't it the 320s that were "north-south" planes (for range / capacity reasons)?
The Investor Day presentation showed the A320 vs B739ER, with the transcons gaining the bigger planes. So I would guess the A321neos fit that as well with a similar seating capacity to the 739.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not surprising at all. Plane and crew (VX) already allocated for the route, and they probably can't currently swap a DCA slot between AS and VX as they remain two separate carriers.
Originally Posted by jamespvg
Originally Posted by lg20
The Investor Day presentation showed the A320 vs B739ER, with the transcons gaining the bigger planes. So I would guess the A321neos fit that as well with a similar seating capacity to the 739.
C'mon, guys, it's not like I made that up...
Minicucci said Alaska is learning a lot about the Airbus planes since taking over Virgin America, but noted Alaska's success has always relied on placing "the right airplane in the right market" and thinks the Airbus A321 has limited use on transcontinental routes.

"We think it's a better north to south airplane," he said, later continuing, "Whether they go to Hawaii or transcon, I think we will make the right decision to maximize their potential."
Alaska Air doesn't want all of the Airbus A321neo jets Virgin America ordered
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
C'mon, guys, it's not like I made that up...
Minicucci said Alaska is learning a lot about the Airbus planes since taking over Virgin America, but noted Alaska's success has always relied on placing "the right airplane in the right market" and thinks the Airbus A321 has limited use on transcontinental routes.

"We think it's a better north to south airplane," he said, later continuing, "Whether they go to Hawaii or transcon, I think we will make the right decision to maximize their potential."
Alaska Air doesn't want all of the Airbus A321neo jets Virgin America ordered
That is actually a misquote that the journalists did not correct. The actual quotation as seen below from the official transcript from the conference call has Ben saying that the A320 was limited not the A321 which they see as a transcon or Hawaii plane

Ben Minicucci - Alaska Air Group, Inc. - President & COO
Hi, Helane, it's Ben. And Andrew and I are partnering on this with his team.
The Airbus is a great airplane. As you know, we love Boeings, we are all Boeing and we are proud of that and we are learning a lot about the Airbus.

What I will tell you is where you put the Airbus, one of the things we've done well is we put the right airplane in the right market. The Airbus is
limited, the A320 at least, is limited as a transcon airplane. We think it's a better north to south airplane.

So at least in the next five years I think you will see Andrew's team work with the ops team really to get these airplanes in the right markets to really
maximize their potential. And so where the 321s go, whether they go to Hawaii or transcon, I think we will make the right decision for to maximize
their potential.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
That is actually a misquote that the journalists did not correct. The actual quotation as seen below from the official transcript from the conference call has Ben saying that the A320 was limited not the A321 which they see as a transcon or Hawaii plane.
Well... that makes more sense. I really can't think of any north-south route that would warrant scheduling with an aircraft having over 180 seats with considerable frequency. BTW, does anyone know if the F cabin on these 321s will have the "new" F seats (and seat pitch), or the standard VX F seats?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Well... that makes more sense. I really can't think of any north-south route that would warrant scheduling with an aircraft having over 180 seats with considerable frequency. BTW, does anyone know if the F cabin on these 321s will have the "new" F seats (and seat pitch), or the standard VX F seats?
I can't imagine if this is a VX livery plane it would not have the typical VX F seats.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ptownca
I can't imagine if this is a VX livery plane it would not have the typical VX F seats.
"Inside the cabin, Virgin America flyers will continue to enjoy three custom-designed classes of service, touch-screen personal entertainment and an on-demand food and cocktail menu on every flight in addition to power outlets at every seat."

This word "continue" suggests that F is the same as it ever was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.