GoGo Especially Bad Lately

Old Apr 21, 17, 1:40 am
Original Poster

GoGo Especially Bad Lately

I fly frequently on AS and noticed lately that the GoGo wifi has been particularly bad. It never seems to be great but lately it's been really awful. Knowing nothing about how it works, is the especially slow connection recently related to Alaska giving away on board entertainment through GoGo? What are the reasons why it may be okay one day and glacial the next? Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:34 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by bofc View Post
noticed lately that the GoGo wifi has been particularly bad.

Is the especially slow connection recently related to Alaska giving away on board entertainment through GoGo?
If by lately you mean the last five years (at least) you are correct. It has sucked for years. Capacity seems to be the problem. If you have more than a couple of people trying to use it during the flight it will slow down to useless speed.

The free entertainment is not on Nogo. That is a totally different and separate system that does not contribute to NoGo.
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
The free entertainment is not on Nogo. That is a totally different and separate system that does not contribute to NoGo.
One clarification: It uses Gogo's wifi, but not the Gogo Internet connection.
Old Apr 21, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
I think that's part of the problem. The available bandwidth on board is much higher than the available bandwidth from aircraft to ground but with all the onboard streaming, I think the device to aircraft link is often the bottleneck now.
Old Apr 21, 17, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Alaska has aircraft with both first-gen ATG and faster ATG-4 Gogo equipment. Maybe the OP's last few rides have all been aboard ATG aircraft.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ews/gogo-atg4/

(There's also Gogo satellite Ku and 2Ku wifi services but, IIRC, they won't be found aboard Alaska Airlines flights.)
Old Apr 21, 17, 10:44 am

i echo this sentiment. had a flight last week and couldn't even load google it was so bad.
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K and Marriott Platinum
Gogo has never been fast, but it has seemed especially slow on my flights in the last month or so. Earlier this week, I spent most of a 5 hr flight trying to to send a 1MB e-mail and it never did clear my outbox
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Could it be because of the new chat service that Alaska launched? Maybe lots of people using the service also slows down GoGo
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by berliner5000 View Post
Could it be because of the new chat service that Alaska launched? Maybe lots of people using the service also slows down GoGo
I believe the chat service is just throttled internet. I can get email, twitter and the occasional web page to load with the free chat enabled.
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
It would be nice if AS switched over to the ViaSat system, or similar, that VX has already deployed on some aircraft. It's fast enough that they allow video streaming (e.g., Netflix).
Old Apr 21, 17, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
It would be nice if AS switched over to the ViaSat system, or similar, that VX has already deployed on some aircraft. It's fast enough that they allow video streaming (e.g., Netflix).
I believe that the recent cabin refresh announcement included news of faster internet, possibly Gogo's 2Ku?
Old Apr 21, 17, 5:46 pm

Programs: Former Alaska MVP Gold 75K, NEXUS
Flying between SEA and NYC I can hardly tell the difference between the 1 hour of "normal" speed I get as a T-Mo subscriber and the remaining "texting only" throttled connection.
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
I believe that the recent cabin refresh announcement included news of faster internet, possibly Gogo's 2Ku?
Not sure who it's with, but satellite is coming...sometime
Old Apr 23, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by osubeavers01 View Post
Gogo has never been fast, but it has seemed especially slow on my flights in the last month or so. Earlier this week, I spent most of a 5 hr flight trying to to send a 1MB e-mail and it never did clear my outbox
In the early days it absolutely was. I was able to open a VPN connection and use a very functional Remote Desktop connection to get work done for entire flights. A buddy of mine used to stream video from a server in his house. Once more people decided it was affordable the throughput absolutely plummeted. It was great for a time though.
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Just flew on a DL flight with the new Gogo (Ku I think it was), and it was nice and fast.

Had the WiFi all the way to the ground too, which was nice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: