Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo Especially Bad Lately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
What are the reasons why it may be okay one day and glacial the next?
I noticed on my last flight (AS21) that only one of the Gogo access points seemed to be working on my flight and that made it particularly bad. The FA said that they were aware of the problem, but couldn't get it fixed prior to leaving back for Seattle.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL, US, XE, VS, VX, AS
Originally Posted by billatq
I noticed on my last flight (AS21) that only one of the Gogo access points seemed to be working on my flight and that made it particularly bad.
How did you know that was the issue? Anything to look at for before you buy a pass to know it'll be bad?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:50 am

Used gogo on 4/13 VX flight IAD-LAX, and it was terribly slow, eventually to the point of being useless. Didn't used to be bad at all on VX. Didn't even bother with it on the redeye back the next week.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
I stopped bothering with gogo years ago. Have never been able to connect/replicate in outlook. Pathetic service.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:25 am

I've had two cross country flights this week on 738s and the service actually worked "fine." Never great, but certainly doable for email and web pages, which matches my level of expectation for this type of technology. Like others, I'm looking forward to the newer equipment and better service.

In my experience another variable is flight level. The service seems to work better from 30,000' to 36,000'. Above fl360 and service seems to be spottier. I wonder which elevation GoGo points their antennas at.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I used GoGo twice last week and thought the speed was OK. I was only surfing on my phone through the free T-Mobile hour but I was satisfied.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:32 pm
vgc

Just completed a cross country flight this morning and GoGo was no slower than usual.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by UpstateDave
How did you know that was the issue? Anything to look at for before you buy a pass to know it'll be bad?
At least on my mac, you can open up wireless diagnostics and see how many access points you can see. A simpler solution would be to say that you're going to download the gogo media app and test to see how well it's actually working during your free 15 minutes of wifi. I'm using the $5 T-Mobile add-on to get access, so I'll always try to use it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:18 am

Couldn't even get on it last night. It was so slow. I had a day pass to use and couldn't even get to my account screen to apply it. Figured that if it was going to be that bad, why even use a pass.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IStream
I think that's part of the problem. The available bandwidth on board is much higher than the available bandwidth from aircraft to ground but with all the onboard streaming, I think the device to aircraft link is often the bottleneck now.
I'm a little skeptical of that. There are multiple access points on the aircraft, and at least last time I checked, they were running 802.11n. Even divided up between 180 people, the on-board system should be able to handle that. I haven't experienced any issues with the on-board streaming entertainment stuttering, so I don't think it's wifi congestion.

Originally Posted by direwolfpdx
I believe the chat service is just throttled internet. I can get email, twitter and the occasional web page to load with the free chat enabled.
My experience and the experiences of a few friends would seem to confirm that. It's very throttled, though--to the tune of something on par with 56kbps per user (although iMessages and Facebook messages and things all seem to go through pretty quickly, so those must be exempt from the rate limiting). Although 180 people connecting to the Internet at 56kbps (dial-up modem) speeds does equate to 10mbps, which is more than the typical throughput of a Gogo ATG connection, so maybe this is indeed the root of the issue.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Alaska has aircraft with both first-gen ATG and faster ATG-4 Gogo equipment. Maybe the OP's last few rides have all been aboard ATG aircraft.
I think this is the issue. I've had issues on some recent AS flights but not all, and I would hazard an educated guess that the issues (the ones bad enough to warrant me Tweeting obscenities at Gogo, anyway) are all on the aircraft that haven't been upgraded to ATG-4.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I use GoGo on AS all the time. To keep the price reasonable, I buy a one hour pass in advance for $7 from GoGo's web site. It's much cheaper to buy passes in advance. In one hour I can get through my emails or contact people at work.

Performance is poor but good enough to get email or do some web browsing. Some flights are better than others. The times I have seen it out entirely have been on the older planes.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm a little skeptical of that. There are multiple access points on the aircraft, and at least last time I checked, they were running 802.11n. Even divided up between 180 people, the on-board system should be able to handle that. I haven't experienced any issues with the on-board streaming entertainment stuttering, so I don't think it's wifi congestion.
It's quite possible that there's at least one wireless client connected that's 802.11g or perhaps even 802.11b. That can slow things a little bit and vary from flight to flight.

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 30, 2017 at 2:59 pm Reason: unnecessary line break
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Brand new AS/Gogo interface today on AS 30, BOS-PDX. Brought optimistic thoughts of maybe trial of new tech.....But no. Started reasonably fast, then bogged down and down. Couldn't send text only email. Blecch!

But nice new interface. Very calming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.