Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Miles redeemed on BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
AS Miles redeemed on BA

has this happened to anyone
booked First to LHR from USA and then a legal 3 day stop over
then LHR to Rome,
getting seat assignments, at no cost in First was a breeze
but they want to change me 30 dollars/pounds to reserve a seat in Biz class from LHR to Rome FCO
odd Odd Odd to me

plus their damned fuel surcharges<<<<<<<<<
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tony10s
has this happened to anyone
booked First to LHR from USA and then a legal 3 day stop over
then LHR to Rome,
getting seat assignments, at no cost in First was a breeze
but they want to change me 30 dollars/pounds to reserve a seat in Biz class from LHR to Rome FCO
odd Odd Odd to me

plus their damned fuel surcharges<<<<<<<<<
You've just enumerated why I have no intention of ever redeeming on BA. 60k miles one-way in J, plus YQ around the same cost as a coach ticket on DE or FI. And you still don't get to pick your seat until check-in.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Has this happened to anyone? Booked First to LHR from USA and then a legal 3 day stop over. Then LHR to Rome, getting seat assignments, at no cost in First was a breeze but they want to change me 30 dollars/pounds to reserve a seat in Biz class from LHR to Rome FCO
odd Odd Odd to me
Yes. With BA you pay for seat selection, even in business class unless you have mid-top OW status.
Every week on the BA forum there are new threads on this topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. With BA you pay for seat selection, even in business class unless you have mid-top OW status.
Every week on the BA forum there are new threads on this topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html
And quite unacceptable when you take into account the lousy hard product BA has in J.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jinglish
You've just enumerated why I have no intention of ever redeeming on BA. 60k miles one-way in J, plus YQ around the same cost as a coach ticket on DE or FI. And you still don't get to pick your seat until check-in.
Well, so one way to look at it is perhaps that you buy a coach seat in a fare class without miles earnings and then upgrade that with miles to J.

United charges an arm and a leg in co-pay in addition to miles for an upgrade from economy to business class.

But yes, I haven't gotten myself to buying either a BA J award or a UA miles upgrade award. It just is painful and not in the spirit of "free flights" that the loyalty programs dangle in front of our noses.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Two years ago I booked a BA J award BOS-LHR-CPT over the Christmas Holidays. Was very happy I snagged it, even though the YQ was $500 or so. A plain J ticket would have been $7000+.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fly747first
And quite unacceptable when you take into account the lousy hard product BA has in J.
Curious what exactly that means to you?
I went DUB-LHR-SFO and back a few times in recent months and it seemed fine to me. The 744s are a bit dated in comparison to the 380s, which aren't exactly new either, but the comfort and service seemed fine.

What are you comparing it to?

Unrelated; for leisure travel BA W is quite nice with a seat that's a whole inch wider than DL for example.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
Curious what exactly that means to you?
I went DUB-LHR-SFO and back a few times in recent months and it seemed fine to me. The 744s are a bit dated in comparison to the 380s, which aren't exactly new either, but the comfort and service seemed fine.

What are you comparing it to? .
To me it means without four across, all-aisle access, BA is not competitive.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I have found that a quick peek through the curtain into steerage helps with that.

Of course, people might also say that I suffer from Stockholm Syndrome as a long time UA flyer

But in reality, given the scarcity of J awards if your schedule isn't very flexible, I generally don't bother to optimize quality of the product I buy with my miles if it means not flying to the destination I need to get to on the day that my schedule prescribes.

Maybe when I am retired and have a lot more flexibility, this will change. Hopefully award flights in comfortable classes are still an option then
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Understood. I think it's a valid concern when considering award redemption.

I think that when looking at the Europe to US West Coast TATL flights BA primarily competes on price in I/J where the (minor?) inconvenience of having to step over someone does come with quite substantial savings over main competitors which are AS mileage partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.