Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

EK is reducing US flights (SEA, BOS, LAX, FLL, MCO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK is reducing US flights (SEA, BOS, LAX, FLL, MCO)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I wonder if the electronics ban and visas are just cover for Emirates continuing to tighten it's belt.
Maybe, but TK also has reported lighter loads since the ban.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
We have an award booked from SEA-DXB for 11/24 on the flight that's just been canceled. Anyone know how AS/EK will rebook us?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
With all due respect, the factors you mentioned and those cited in the NPR article were covered thoroughly in the link I previously posted to an article from the political site, The Hill. I only posted a short piece from that article, assuming that people would click through to read it in its entirety.

. . . .
The Emirates airline on Wednesday announced it would be reducing flights to the U.S. in response to "weakened travel demand" amid pushback to President Trump's travel ban and other administration restrictions.

The Middle East's biggest airline said it would be "reducing flights to five of the 12 US cities we currently serve."

The airline's move is a "commercial decision in response to weakened travel demand to US," an airline representative said in a statement.

"The recent actions taken by the US government relating to the issuance of entry visas, heightened security vetting, and restrictions on electronic devices in aircraft cabins, have had a direct impact on consumer interest and demand for air travel into the US."

Emirates said it had seen "healthy growth and performance" until the start of 2017.

"However, over the past 3 months, we have seen a significant deterioration in the booking profiles on all our US routes, across all travel segments," the statement said.

"Emirates has therefore responded as any profit-oriented enterprise would, and we will redeploy capacity to serve demand on other routes on our global network."

Emirates said it will keep an eye on the situation "with the view to reinstate and grow our US flight operations as soon as viable."

The announcement comes after a report Tuesday said Emirates had seen a drop in traffic to the U.S. following Trump's effort to bar travel to the U.S. from several predominately Muslim countries and the ban on large electronics being brought on U.S.-bound flights from select airports in the Middle East.

Gulf carriers such as Emirates, which has worked hard to boost its image in the U.S and even tapped actress Jennifer Aniston as a spokeswoman, have been scrambling to contain the fallout from the Trump administration's new security measures.

Some airlines started offering workarounds, such as providing loaner laptops and iPads to travelers on U.S.-bound flights or allowing passengers to check large electronics at the gate prior to boarding.

But airlines have still been worried about the damage of the electronics ban on their business and reputation.

The United Kingdom announced a similar electronics rule, but that ban does not affect Emirates, Qatar and Etihad, which have been major industry rivals in the U.S.

Tim Clark, the president of Emirates, told CNN that the security protocols will be "hugely disruptive" and he questioned why only some airlines and airports are singled out.
Excellent post AKCuisine. thanks
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by u2g0d
We have an award booked from SEA-DXB for 11/24 on the flight that's just been canceled. Anyone know how AS/EK will rebook us?
Call AS and they should re ticket you.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond
You can also use the Emirates PRN to check your flight.

We are booked DXB-SEA on 11/17. Alaska website said I needed to call them about the rez. I checked Emirates website this AM and they had already rebooked us on the later flight. But they assigned us to different rows so I had to change our seats. Glad I did this because there weren't that many seats together by the window.

The Alaska website is still advising us to call regarding the rez. Not sure how long it will take for them to update it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:10 pm
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
I had a booking (not award) for September that I rebooked this morning. 45 minutes on the phone with Emirates
the rep was very helpful even though the flights have significantly changed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MellieAZ
The Alaska website is still advising us to call regarding the rez. Not sure how long it will take for them to update it.
The auto schedule change acceptance is usually done closer to flight. I have one in June on an AS schedule change and its still not been accepted for me. It should be a quick call to accept if you dont want to wait.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Queen B
I had a booking (not award) for September that I rebooked this morning. 45 minutes on the phone with Emirates
the rep was very helpful even though the flights have significantly changed.
See if its revenue fare class rebook

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.