FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Age determines if you get a full can of soda? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1837730-age-determines-if-you-get-full-can-soda.html)

sullim4 Apr 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Age determines if you get a full can of soda?

Interesting (or rather unprofessional?) comment from a FA on flight 792 to DTW. We were delayed an hour and a half out of SEA due to an MX/bird strike from the incoming flight.

They apparently took pity on us and gave us full cans of soda during the in-flight beverage service. Upon collecting the trash, one of the FA's remarked to the other...

"They're all handing me back full cans of soda. This is why I never give old people full cans of soda, now it will all go to waste."

Lesson learned? I guess you have to look young to get a full can of soda! FWIW, they gave us almost no time (maybe 10 minutes?) before they came back through with the trash cart... I'm 32 and I could barely finish my can of soda before they came back. For reference, I was in 17D.

worldwidedreamer Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4 (Post 28201248)
Lesson learned? I guess you have to look young to get a full can of soda! FWIW, they gave us almost no time (maybe 10 minutes?) before they came back through with the trash cart... I'm 32 and I could barely finish my can of soda before they came back. For reference, I was in 17D.

A) Never judge an enterprise by one employee on one day. Most follow whatever procedure they are taught most of the time.

B) For what it is worth I'm 36 and my less elite 80 year old father usually receives better service when we travel together. (Not that I begrudge him at all; we should respect our elders.)

mroseman13 Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm sure flight attendants have some experiential knowledge of specific categories of passengers and beverage consumption rates (some may call it data driven, some may call it ageism). Similar to George Clooney's opinion on selecting a security line in Up in the Air. It might not be right, but it definitely shouldn't be said within earshot of passengers.

98103 Apr 19, 2017 12:28 pm

With age comes incontinence.

Cruss74 Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm

FWIW, they gave us almost no time (maybe 10 minutes?) before they came back through with the trash cart... I'm 32 and I could barely finish my can of soda before they came back.

Unless this happened at the very end of the flight, there is no reason you have to hand back your unfinished beverage items just because the FA's are collecting trash. There will most certainly be other opportunities to get rid of trash during a 4 hour flight.

MeanwhileBackAtFAI Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Lesson learned? [...] I'm 32 and I could barely finish my can of soda before they came back.

The real lesson learned is that you are too old for a can of soda! :)

solewalker Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI (Post 28206833)
The real lesson learned is that you are too old for a can of soda! :)

:D

I usually just ask for a whole can of soda if I want a whole can of soda. It's quite an easy pitch to the FA.

"Hey, Diet Coke is hard to pour. May I just have the whole can??"

Explorer789 Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 28206878)
:D

I usually just ask for a whole can of soda if I want a whole can of soda. It's quite an easy pitch to the FA.

"Hey, Diet Coke is hard to pour. May I just have the whole can??"

This. In economy, FAs usually will just pour you a cup. But I have never had one deny me a whole can if I asked for it.

Rubus Spectabilis Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

But I have never had one deny me a whole can if I asked for it.
Same here. I find it kind of awkward directly asking for the whole thing, but if I even say, "Oh, a tin of ginger ale would be brilliant, thanks!" they'll give me the tin.

Explorer789 Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rubus Spectabilis (Post 28208250)
Same here. I find it kind of awkward directly asking for the whole thing, but if I even say, "Oh, a tin of ginger ale would be brilliant, thanks!" they'll give me the tin.

Welcome to FT!

I usually just ask it straightforward.

FA: What you like something to drink, sir?
Me: Can I have can of <drink> with a cup of ice?

dayone Apr 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28208576)
Can I have can of <drink> with a cup of ice?

This.

metaldirtnskin Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

The theme I am noticing is that almost all airline employees (FAs, gate agents, reservations, etc.) will give whatever answer suits them at any given time regarding their policies. What someone tells you on a particular day may or may not have any bearing on their "true" policy - if there even is one.

mroseman13 Apr 21, 2017 7:15 pm

This thread has made no mention about policy...

beckoa Apr 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I request my can of diet coke sans ice.

pcoll Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am

Never had an issue with this..
" can of sparkling water and glass of ice with lime".
AA pilot next to me, in transit, commented ..." never thought of that, I will have the same".
Funny guy, had a good chat, debating if mountain below was Mt Shasta. ( we fly SEA/ LAX alot). Pilot comes on and announces, "below is Mt Shasta". We had a good laugh.