Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where to go? 124,000 miles - 3 people - YYJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go? 124,000 miles - 3 people - YYJ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:36 pm

I'd fly out of SEA if you can...taxes are much cheaper. We do that a lot - I find it worth the 2 hour drive for my family of 4.

You have enough miles for Hawaii - you should definitely do that! Cheaper taxes than going to Mexico, too (and you won't spend half of your vacation in the toilet!).

Avoid November - traveling in and around American Thanksgiving is a nightmare. First week of December will be much cheaper for hotels and lots more flight availability.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS mostly
You should consider AA destinations. At that time of the year, I believe you can fly RT to Europe or Central/South America for 40k miles per person.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pokee
You have enough miles for Hawaii - you should definitely do that! Cheaper taxes than going to Mexico, too (and you won't spend half of your vacation in the toilet!).
If OP is worried about costs due to CAD depreciation, Hawaii during the time they're interested can be about as bad as you can get costwise (EVERYONE wants to go during the chilly months, a lot of that time is peak season, and people take vacations at that time of year to do it).

My trips in Mexico have been fine, even eating the street food the locals eat. It's really trivial at this point to have modern sanitation and clean kitchens anywhere in North America if you're a tourist.

Also: Puerto Peńasco (2 hours out of PHX) or Ensenada (2 hours out of SAN) are options, if you want to save a lot of $$$ on the miles + taxes.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 20, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Book by the end of the month so you can have Delta award inventory as well as AS and AA.
Good to know! Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I've had good and bad experiences with hygiene in Mexico. But I can say the same for Paris...
I like the idea of flying to the US and driving down to MEX like you suggested. That could get the taxes low and still enjoy the better exchange rate.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TechTrainer
I've had good and bad experiences with hygiene in Mexico. But I can say the same for Paris...
I like the idea of flying to the US and driving down to MEX like you suggested. That could get the taxes low and still enjoy the better exchange rate.
The one catch is Mexican rental car insurance = a bit of a gouge and hassle.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/can-d...co-110940.html

But if you were going to rent a car anyways in Mexico...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If OP is worried about costs due to CAD depreciation, Hawaii during the time they're interested can be about as bad as you can get costwise (EVERYONE wants to go during the chilly months, a lot of that time is peak season, and people take vacations at that time of year to do it).

My trips in Mexico have been fine, even eating the street food the locals eat. It's really trivial at this point to have modern sanitation and clean kitchens anywhere in North America if you're a tourist.

Also: Puerto Peńasco (2 hours out of PHX) or Ensenada (2 hours out of SAN) are options, if you want to save a lot of $$$ on the miles + taxes.
For Canadians interested in a cheap trip to Mexico, it's typically better to buy an all inclusive trip via a charter airline through an agent - rather than using airline miles and booking a resort separately. Not the best use of points, for the most part. In fact, I don't of any fellow Canadians that have ever used points for Mexico...Hawaii on the other hand - everyone does - including me!

Hawaii seems to be busy and expensive all year long...and getting harder and harder to get award seats on AS. If the OP has flexible dates in the winter, there's some GREAT hotel deals in Hawaii during some dates in the winter months.

For me, personally, I don't let the exchange rate deter me from travelling where I want to go...I just adjust my budget accordingly (cheaper hotels, more affordable meals, less shopping). If I didn't, I'd likely never visit the US!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

@pokee you make some excellent points! We do like Hawaii but have been holding off going back because of the exchange rate. Maybe it's time for a perspective adjustment.

Plus, when I look at Maui for 1st week of December. I can find a total price for 3 passengers = 105,000 miles + $175.68. It means overnighting in SEA on the way home but that's alright!

What's your preferred island?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Plus, when I look at Maui for 1st week of December. I can find a total price for 3 passengers = 105,000 miles + $175.68. It means overnighting in SEA on the way home but that's alright!
Book that now!!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Kauai No Ka Oi!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:45 pm

@pokee you make some excellent points! We do like Hawaii but have been holding off going back because of the exchange rate. Maybe it's time for a perspective adjustment.

Wherever I can find award space is my preferred island, LOL!

For affordability and sheer flight availability, I think Oahu is your best bet. There seems to be a lot of SEA-HNL flights.

I'm hoping to fly BLI-OGG next spring break, but the hotels and condos are soooo expensive in Maui at that time....so it makes me want to go back to the Oahu or the big island. Your dates are flexible though - so you should be okay. Hope it works out!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.