Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where to go? 124,000 miles - 3 people - YYJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines

I'm new to Alaska and am looking for suggestions on where to go for a winter getaway with my family. I have 124,000 miles, need to book for 3 people and would be departing from YYJ. Date and location are flexible (Winter 2017). Anyone have a suggestion?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Do you want to spend as few miles as possible to have a nice vacation or do you want to clean out your account?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:21 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
There are lots of options.

I'm seeing Mexico and Hawaii for 35K miles round trip each in Y on lots of dates. Florida can be done for 25K miles round trip each.

If you want to be frugal and save some miles for another trip later, you can go to Southern California for as little as 15K miles round trip each (though there's more availability at the 20K and 25K levels on the date ranges I looked at).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kufat
Do you want to spend as few miles as possible to have a nice vacation or do you want to clean out your account?
I'm open to using all my miles, but not going over and having to pay out a substantial balance.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red L
There are lots of options.

I'm seeing Mexico and Hawaii for 35K miles round trip each in Y on lots of dates. Florida can be done for 25K miles round trip each.

If you want to be frugal and save some miles for another trip later, you can go to Southern California for as little as 15K miles round trip each (though there's more availability at the 20K and 25K levels on the date ranges I looked at).
I"m curious what locations and dates you looked at? My search to Puerta Vallarta for example in late November had me exceeding my 124,000 miles for 3 people.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TechTrainer
I"m curious what locations and dates you looked at? My search to Puerta Vallarta for example in late November had me exceeding my 124,000 miles for 3 people.
Late November isn't winter; it's late fall.

(It's also around American Thanksgiving so not a great time for awards.)

Mid-January seems more open, though it looks like getting 3 coach seats on the early flights YYJ-SEA that let you connect to the PVR nonstop for 17.5k is tricky, unless you don't mind taking an overnight in SEA, SFO or LAX. You might be able to book one or two at low and then book the second/third at a little bit more (or you might pay cash for the flight).

These are semi-random dates but they seem representative.

That being said... San Diego is WAAAAY cheaper in miles and cash (you get only get two sets of taxes, US and Canada, as opposed to three when you add Mexico) . Colder, though.
Attached Images   

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Late November isn't winter; it's late fall.

(It's also American Thanksgiving so not a great time for awards.)
ime on certain days it's excellent for awards - thu/fri and the following tue-wed are usually wide open

late november is usually great for palm springs and arizona; LIR should have good weather (but way too many connections from YYJ); of course hawaii is good any time;
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
ime on certain days it's excellent for awards - thu/fri and the following tue-wed are usually wide open

late november is usually great for palm springs and arizona; LIR should have good weather (but way too many connections from YYJ); of course hawaii is good any time;
I would agree, though it depends. The cash fares aren't bad at the right times either.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
How do you define a winter getaway? Hawaii, CUN, HAV and LIR make the most sense if you are looking for bathing suit weather; Southern California, Arizona and Northern Mexico will get you out of the cold, avoid frost at night, but no guarantee of shorts and tee shirt weather.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Go hard or go home

redeem 3 one way J awards (ok that would cost 150,000) on CX to Thailand and pay cash for the flight home 😎 , is that over budget? 😂
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Costa Rica is great - I'm there right now, and Alaska flies here!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TProphet
Costa Rica is great - I'm there right now, and Alaska flies here!
Costa Rica is great! I was looking for something a bit closer to home (YYJ)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Go hard or go home

redeem 3 one way J awards (ok that would cost 150,000) on CX to Thailand and pay cash for the flight home 😎 , is that over budget? 😂
Ya, a bit over budget!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
How do you define a winter getaway? Hawaii, CUN, HAV and LIR make the most sense if you are looking for bathing suit weather; Southern California, Arizona and Northern Mexico will get you out of the cold, avoid frost at night, but no guarantee of shorts and tee shirt weather.
All great suggestions! For us Canadians, our dollar has dropped off quite a bit compared to the USD so that means vacationing in the US is 30% more expensive. That's what has me thinking Pacific Mexico.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Book by the end of the month so you can have Delta award inventory as well as AS and AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.