Customer Service Decline

Old Apr 15, 17, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott P
Customer Service Decline

What is going on with MVP75 Customer Service line? Previously they would pick up my FF# from my caller id and directly connect me with an agent, which was best in class compared to AA EP or DL DM, I have been both last year. Now it puts the call through usual enter your # stuff, and often put me in long que, often lasting 15-20 mns with option to get call back! Now that is worst in class, as DL Silver I get quicker call with agent now. What is going on?
Old Apr 15, 17, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
I was having the same thing happen in the last couple of months. Used to an answer in a few rings and suddenly, associated with the VX mess, I would have to wait for a call back or stay on hold forever. But the last few times I have called, I got a quick answer. And I noticed that they started thanking me for being a 75K again - maybe they have improved. But I'm sure they still are preferencing the VX people, with an obvious reduced interest in their former loyal customers.
Old Apr 16, 17, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott P
So that's news to me, are AS call centers handling VX elites already? One thing AS has to keep in mind is that it NOW competes for elites against all majors in its major centers of operations except ANC and maybe PDX, better get a grip on handling your top tier customers who probably contribute >50% of rev.
Old Apr 16, 17, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I don't think there was ever a 75K specific line, it's gold and 75K together.
I agree with you on callback times however; it's been terrible lately, often +15 minutes.
Old Apr 16, 17, 12:56 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa View Post
So that's news to me, are AS call centers handling VX elites already? One thing AS has to keep in mind is that it NOW competes for elites against all majors in its major centers of operations except ANC and maybe PDX, better get a grip on handling your top tier customers who probably contribute >50% of rev.
No. LaneW just likes to whine about how much AS supposedly hates its own elites now.
Old Apr 16, 17, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
The two times I had to call recently because SEA was in meltdown and my flights were going pear-shaped, I got through right away. Great service both times.

I have noticed some longer times on partner award booking calls where I had to select a callback. But those aren't typically time-critical so I don't mind so much. Quite frankly I would prefer they prioritize people who have immediate problems, because some other day I will be that person.

I think the AS folks on here have mentioned they want to add some call center staff. Sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 16, 17 at 1:39 am
Old Apr 16, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Went through a stretch back in January and February where there were long hold/call-back times, but it's back to what I think of as normal since then. Staff has never stopped being friendly (with one exception on the partner award line), and I remember them mentioning status on more than one occasion.
Old Apr 16, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by LaneW View Post
But I'm sure they still are preferencing the VX people, with an obvious reduced interest in their former loyal customers.
At this point you are beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Not every problem at Air Group has to do with the merger.
Old Apr 16, 17, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would agree with you, the customer service has seen a large decline. On another thread the issues of the elite line was discussed. I can't seem to find it now.

But there was pretty much agreement that all elites MVP, Gold, and MVPG 75k all get lumped into one line with no priority outside of that. On that thread, they also mentioned AS was staffing up with lots of temps.

In customer care, there is also quite a large backlog of emails as reported on that thread.
Old Apr 16, 17, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
As has been discussed recently, AS is in the process of hiring and training hundreds of new phone agents. Things should get better shortly.
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:20 am

I'm really sorry to hear you experienced an issue when calling the MVP/Gold line; this was an unintended problem that occurred when AS implemented the 'virtual hold' feature, allowing the system to "wait in line" for the caller when hold times were excessive.

Inbound calls were previously handled in this priority:

1. MVP/Gold line callers
2. Non-elite callers

When the "virtual hold" feature was turned on, here's how the system began prioritizing calls:

1. MVP/Gold callers who had asked for a callback
2. Non-elite callers who had asked for a callback
3. MVP/Gold callers
4. Non-elite callers

Unfortunately, this was only discovered after seeing all these non-elite customers suddenly, inexplicably, leapfrogging in the queue ahead of new calls from MVP/Gold callers, resulting in much longer holds for elite-level customers than was intended. The problem was identified and reported to our telecom provider, and the addition of dozens of new agents each week has already seen the wait times for elite and non-elite customers alike drop significantly.

Hiring for the SEA, BOI, and PHX call centers is continuing throughout 2017 and will likely continue well into 2018 and beyond as a single operating certificate is achieved and the outsourced VX call center operations are wound down.

Last edited by Snowdevil; Apr 17, 17 at 12:41 am
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
they also mentioned AS was staffing up with lots of temps.
Actually, AS doesn't hire temporary employees as Reservations Sales Agents, as it is a union position covered under a collective bargaining agreement. All employees hired as res agents are full-fledged AS employees.
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:32 pm

When the "virtual hold" feature was turned on, here's how the system began prioritizing calls:

1. MVP/Gold callers who had asked for a callback
2. Non-elite callers who had asked for a callback
3. MVP/Gold callers
4. Non-elite callers

Wow. Nobody thought to check this in advance??
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bofc View Post
Wow. Nobody thought to check this in advance??
It's always more obvious looking back.
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
it's also obvious that people familiar with the user environment weren't part of requirements development or pre-delivery testing (or, for that matter, probably any testing)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: