Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover not permitted ex-IAH ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Stopover not permitted ex-IAH ??

Been on the phone a few times over this.
I have an existing award ticket SEA-OGG. I would like to add on a leg prior, IAH - SEA, making SEA a stopover.
For some reason, this is not permitted. I can't get this to price out online form Houston. If I change the departure city to AUS or DFW, it prices out. Just not from Houston.
Eventually I was told on the phone that "Award tickets departing Houston do not allow stopovers".

This doesn't pass the sniff test - are there specific rules that would prevent this stopover ex-IAH?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Been on the phone a few times over this.
I have an existing award ticket SEA-OGG. I would like to add on a leg prior, IAH - SEA, making SEA a stopover.
For some reason, this is not permitted. I can't get this to price out online form Houston. If I change the departure city to AUS or DFW, it prices out. Just not from Houston.
Eventually I was told on the phone that "Award tickets departing Houston do not allow stopovers".

This doesn't pass the sniff test - are there specific rules that would prevent this stopover ex-IAH?
Hang up and call back...you didn't accidentally dial the VX call center did you??
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If it's AS metal yes, should be allowed.

I found one with over 24 hour stop and another for 48 but over that no results. Scratch that error message
Paging @missydarlin
Attached Images   

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Apparently this is a specific fare rule. Just got a call back after phone agent has been in contact with multiple rates agents. She did say it should also apply to SAT and AUS and it is a website error that allows those cities to be booked with a stopover.

"no stopovers permitted on pricing unit. no stopover occurs if passenger takes next available flight." Which she explained as saying nothing more than 24 hour stopover allowed on this route..."
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It would be really nice if AS would start publishing their full award fare rules on their website, particularly these little exceptions.

When award travel is redeemed solely on Alaska Airlines, one enroute stopover is allowed for each one-way award.
The Mileage Plan T&C doesn't contain an asterisk at the end for certain TX cities, for instance.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Note the very next line, though:

Round-trip itineraries with 2 stopovers, or one-way awards with 1 stopover may only be booked through an Alaska Airlines call center. They are not available online.
Not sure when that went in there, as I've certainly booked one-ways with a stopover online in the past.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
That's not exactly true, stopovers are allowed on CX awards in Hong Kong. Also, Alaska generally allows stopovers on itineraries involving a single award zone (not so applicable anymore, but on an intra-Alaska award you could even, for example, go ADK-ANC [stopover] - JNU) or multiple award zones (such as the award I'm currently traveling on).

You can also do some pretty crazy routings with stopovers and you don't necessarily have to book these over the phone. I booked a particularly creative routing online (hi from Costa Rica!): http://www.seat31b.com/2017/03/how-i...rip-to-defcon/
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The rep is looking at the revenue fare rules. This is not a revenue flight.

The standard wording in Revenue Hawaii fares filed by AS say (thus my companion code worked for up to 24 hours stop):

NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT.
NO STOPOVER OCCURS IF PASSENGER TAKES NEXT
AVAILABLE FLIGHT WITHIN 24 HOURS.
The standard Revenue wording from a mainland to mainland is:

NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT.
NO STOPOVER OCCURS IF PASSENGER TAKES NEXT
AVAILABLE FLIGHT WITHIN 4 HOURS.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 10, 2017 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
That's not exactly true, stopovers are allowed on CX awards in Hong Kong.
Right, that's in the T&C just before the text I quoted. I left it out as the OP was on an AS only itinerary. But that's another example, stopovers on international partner itineraries are allowed in eligible cities but those city/partner cities combinations aren't detailed.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Any other help here? Not getting anywhere with the phone agents...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:53 pm

Are you trying to fly IAH-OGG roundtrip, using SEA as the stopover, or flying back to SEA only? Because if so, that's the problem - you can't combine an "open jaw" with a stopover on an award.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Are you trying to fly IAH-OGG roundtrip, using SEA as the stopover, or flying back to SEA only? Because if so, that's the problem - you can't combine an "open jaw" with a stopover on an award.
This is a one-way award only. Original ticket SEA-OGG, would like to add IAH-SEA prior.

Subsequent calls to Alaska aren't fruitful, because the agents sees the records from my previous calls and just recites that this is a routing rule that is not allowing this to ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107
This is a one-way award only. Original ticket SEA-OGG, would like to add IAH-SEA prior.

Subsequent calls to Alaska aren't fruitful, because the agents sees the records from my previous calls and just recites that this is a routing rule that is not allowing this to ticket.
Ask for a supervisor for escalation?

Could also fill out the feedback form on the website:
https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

ETA: post in the ask missy thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ons-missy.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:31 am

I was also surprised to be unable to do a SFO-SEA/PDX stopover-NYC. These weird exceptions to otherwise pretty straightforward policies are a little underhanded.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
can you PM the confirmation code?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.