Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:35 pm

I've seen it denied at the Sky Club many times as well. Personally, I don't want to smell your McDonalds, the lounge isn't a restaurant. People aren't going to pay to sit in a fast food restaurant and it might detract from the overall feed. Plus, some people just make sure huge messes. I think that if everyone brought in a bag of food, the lounge staff would really have to keep up with cleaning constantly and it would be a lot of crap everywhere at peak times. Just my opinion, I'm totally okay with not allowing outside food.

Eat and then go to the lounge and have some drinks. That's my plan.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I like Admirals Club for this reason as they usually don't care if you bring in outside food. Really helpful when there's no areas to sit and eat comfortably in the terminal (ex. PHX).

Not sure if I'd do this at SEA though as their food court in the central concourse is quite large with plenty of seating.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
To get this back to the original topic, AA's house rules also formally state that food and alcoholic drinks may not be removed from the lounge.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

"Complimentary food, alcoholic beverages and periodicals provided by Admirals Club are for consumption and use inside the Admirals Club only and may not be removed."

So more permissive in one way, but no stealing of free stuff, please
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Member

I've seen people pour their glass of wine or cocktail into the to go cup as well prior to heading out the door.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by internationalblvd
Sounds entirely consistent with Portland though.
Offended by the cheap shot.
Native Portlander
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I like Admirals Club for this reason as they usually don't care if you bring in outside food. Really helpful when there's no areas to sit and eat comfortably in the terminal
Exactly why I love AC's as well, I like the comfy place to sit in and for free wifi, but sometimes the standard snack offering isn't enough and I don't want to order anything from the overpriced menu they have there.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why people use the word "etiquette" on FT when they mean "theft".
I realize that we are all lawyers and rocketsurgeons on here, but some of us are better than others, you'll still need to go back to the books and study up to pass the bar.

I pity the fool who takes a gallon ziploc of trailmix from the lounge. If I were to see that I'd give the guy a nod make a comment like "The struggle is real!" or "First World problems!"

I can imagine how the lounge employees watched in horror as 17 cents worth or trailmix disappeared and they had to go in back in refill it from the 100 lbs bag they keep back there.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:30 am

Discouraging people from bringing outside food

Originally Posted by wwongo
I have noticed that the Amex lounge does not have to go cups but the Alaska lounge does and on the many occasions when I have left with coffee in one, I have never been stopped as I walk by the front desk even when I have also had a muffin in hand.

What seems odd to me is that the Alaska lounge does seem to be very strict about bringing food in. I think the main advantage to a lounge is that I don't have to wait in a long line to buy over priced food, but my 19 year old daughter does not see it that way. She likes to buy a bagel sandwich at the airport and has tried on several occasions to take it with her into the Alaska lounge. She has even tried sneaking it in and they will catch her and insist that she leave with it. I told her to stop embarrassing me and eat the bagel outside the lounge which she now does. Still, neither one of us can figure out the reason for the rule. Usually when outside food is banned it is because the venue is selling food but this lounge doesn't sell any food.

Not a big deal but it does puzzle me.
The usual reason given for discouraging people from bringing outside food is that if there is a case of food poisoning, it is easier to hold the lounge accountable for poor sanitation or holding food at the wrong temperature.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DovidM
The usual reason given for discouraging people from bringing outside food is that if there is a case of food poisoning, it is easier to hold the lounge accountable for poor sanitation or holding food at the wrong temperature.
So if I eat that poisonous McD's right before entering the lounge, the will be able to figure out easily that it wasn't the muffin I stuffed into me as a desert, and if I brought the burger crap into the lounge and ate it there, that would be impossible?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AS
To take this in a different direction...also related to Lounge etiquette.
When enjoying the Lounge and drinks from the bar, do you tip the service person?
I know AS Lounge employees are not supposed to accept tips. Never sure if offering them a tip just puts them in a position to remind me of AS Policy.
How do others handle this?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pcoll
I know AS Lounge employees are not supposed to accept tips. Never sure if offering them a tip just puts them in a position to remind me of AS Policy.
How do others handle this?
The AS Lounge staff always tells someone trying to tip that tips aren't accepted. Knowing this, I offer a sincere "thank you" instead.

In a completely different approach, I was in the AA Admirals Club at RDU not too long ago, and I saw the bartender fastidiously placing a dollar bill on the bar every 2 seats (no one was sitting at the bar at the time), to make it look like the person before had left a tip -- I'm assuming to prompt anyone who came up to get a drink to do the same.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ncorman
I've seen people pour their glass of wine or cocktail into the to go cup as well prior to heading out the door.
I've never thought of this. If I ever return to a lounge.....
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Taking food and/or beverage out of the lounge is something that can be done in moderation like I've taken one or two cans of soda or water bottles and very few packs of snacks, but filling water bottles with anything other than water or taking the whole food spread with you is over the limit...
I personally agree and feel no compunction about taking leftovers that I took to my table to eat while in a lounge but didn't finish (instead of leaving them to be thrown out), even though I know that's against the rules in most or all lounges. But I think that taking free food from the spread with the intent of carrying it out is over the line. My spouse disagrees strongly on that second point.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I've never seen a problem with bringing food in but the spread in the lounge is sufficient on shorter visits.

The large Admirals Club at ORD has a lot of people bringing in McD and other fast foods, AA doesn't seem to ban it while all the other carriers do.
American did ban carry-in food in lounges before they started selling hot food, on the basis of keeping smelly food out. Once they started selling smelly food, they also started allowing guests to bring food in. A remarkably fair, non-greedy, and sensible approach, I think.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by ncorman
Never thought of that before. Sky Club in E terminal at Atlanta usually pours great drinks. That's the only way I can sleep on a pond-crossing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.