Good experience on VX with AS FF#

Old Apr 4, 17, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good experience on VX with AS FF#

Flew my first flight on Virgin America this morning. Booked on corporate TA site with AS flight number. SFO-LAS. When I checked in it said I could check 2 bags free. Did not use as only 3 night trip so carry on. Got to gate. Asked gate agent when an AS MVPG75 got to board letting her know this was my first VX flight. She sad MVP's have their own group. I said thank you and sat down. The other GA was working the seat assignment. I heard the one I talked to say to her as she pointed at me that I was an AS MVPG75 on my first VX flight. Next thing I know they call me up and they had upgraded me to a main cabin select aisle seat with the middle empty. She apologized that they couldn't give me F and said no one gets free F. I let her know that I was aware of that and thanked her very much for my new seat. She said it is not policy yet for free MCS but was happy to introduce me to VX.
Old Apr 4, 17, 2:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
This story makes me sooooo happy.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold.
Me too. We have some VX flights coming up and are very excited to fly VX.
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A case can be made that MCS with an open middle seat is as good as F...and I've made that case.
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:00 pm

Glad to hear about the friendly customer service!
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
not sure if I reported this last month ... I'd booked an F award SEA-LAX-IAD (approx 48 hrs out, could only get coach SEA-LAX); outbound was delayed to where I'd miss, and phone agent was able to put me on VX ... she said she had put me in 21C, but I couldn't OLCI so went to the VX counter agent at SEA who said only middles were available ... he put me in 3B (bulkhead), and the GA offered me the exit row
Old Apr 4, 17, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Just booked my first VX flight PDX-SFO on 4/18. As an MVP all I was given for seat choices was middle rows 20+ rows back....any way to call and get a decent seat?

Update - called Virgin and they had exit row window and aisle available but would only sell them to me. Guess I'll be avoiding VX until this gets fixed.

Update 2 - To add insult to injury I just saw that my class R ticket doesn't earn miles...thank god it is only a 550 mile flight.

Last edited by drewcwsj; Apr 4, 17 at 5:12 pm
Old Apr 4, 17, 5:18 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by drewcwsj View Post
Update 2 - To add insult to injury I just saw that my class R ticket doesn't earn miles...thank god it is only a 550 mile flight.
VX flight purchased on alaskaair.com or as an AS codeshare?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ka-credit.html
Old Apr 4, 17, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
VX flight purchased on alaskaair.com or as an AS codeshare?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ka-credit.html
Purchased as an AS codeshare through Alaska. Didn't even realize it was VX until I got the confirmed itinerary. Thanks I do get the miles then. One small victory...
Old Apr 4, 17, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Just booked my first VX flight PDX-SFO on 4/18. As an MVP all I was given for seat choices was middle rows 20+ rows back....any way to call and get a decent seat?

Update - called Virgin and they had exit row window and aisle available but would only sell them to me. Guess I'll be avoiding VX until this gets fixed.

On VX, MVP status has about as much effect as MVP does on a AS reconfigured 800's. Back of the bus, and hoping and praying that something good happens with the T-6 window. Mostly, it may be a move up to Y+ , in a middle seat.
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Even 75Ks don't get MCS seats without paying so don't feel too bad. I have noticed that there are plenty of selectable windows/aisles for everyone to book for free as long as 1) you book months ahead of time (like I did--October) and 2) you don't mind sitting in the back half of the plane. VX would not be a good choice for last minute travel if you care at all about where you sit or if anything involves calling their call center which is a total disaster to be avoided at all costs. I had a simple schedule change that would have been fixed in 5 minutes or less with AS, but it took multiple Tweets, emails, phone calls, even a complaint to the DOT (first time for me)....I honestly couldn't believe it and unfortunately it sounds like this is not an "isolated" case.
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
On VX, MVP status has about as much effect as MVP does on a AS reconfigured 800's. Back of the bus, and hoping and praying that something good happens with the T-6 window. Mostly, it may be a move up to Y+ , in a middle seat.
AS status of any level has little affect on VX flights, ESPECIALLY when it comes to seating.
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Flew my first flight on Virgin America this morning. Booked on corporate TA site with AS flight number. SFO-LAS. When I checked in it said I could check 2 bags free. Did not use as only 3 night trip so carry on. Got to gate. Asked gate agent when an AS MVPG75 got to board letting her know this was my first VX flight. She sad MVP's have their own group. I said thank you and sat down. The other GA was working the seat assignment. I heard the one I talked to say to her as she pointed at me that I was an AS MVPG75 on my first VX flight. Next thing I know they call me up and they had upgraded me to a main cabin select aisle seat with the middle empty. She apologized that they couldn't give me F and said no one gets free F. I let her know that I was aware of that and thanked her very much for my new seat. She said it is not policy yet for free MCS but was happy to introduce me to VX.
Lol....you were "only" there for 3 nights and didn't check a bag? I check a bag even on one night trips but I guess it's partly because of two reasons 1) don't want to hassle with the overhead compartment and 2) no way of getting 2,500 extra miles for a late bag if I don't check one to begin with
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Lol....you were "only" there for 3 nights and didn't check a bag? I check a bag even on one night trips but I guess it's partly because of two reasons 1) don't want to hassle with the overhead compartment and 2) no way of getting 2,500 extra miles for a late bag if I don't check one to begin with
I normally do 9 night trips and check a bag. This is a short training trip.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
bag aka cooler

The miles can add up too...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: