Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines, Richard Branson Clash Over VX Licensing Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines, Richard Branson Clash Over VX Licensing Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Memorial Salt & Pepper shakers - that's where the big VX dough lies!

James
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:24 pm

Here is the court decision:
https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Comm/2023/322.html

Alaska Airlines shall pay ~$8 Mio per year, adjusted for inflation. Retroactively from 2019 probably until 2040, if I calculated that correctly.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Wow. Whatever external counsel was the M&A crew that did this deal may be liable for a chunk of this. That would all be handled behind the scenes though, so who knows where it ends up.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Wow. Whatever external counsel was the M&A crew that did this deal may be liable for a chunk of this. That would all be handled behind the scenes though, so who knows where it ends up.
Not necessarily. AS's management team could have been told and they simply chose to ignore it and assume that once they repainted the planes they could stop paying the fee. As everybody knows by now there were many things about the takeover of VX which the AS management team did not think through clearly
anteater and AinthePNW like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:43 pm

On the flipside, Alaska still has the right to use the Virgin brand. :-)
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I just want the little plane salt shakers back.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by sokolov
On the flipside, Alaska still has the right to use the Virgin brand. :-)
Question is would they actually use it or just spend the dues?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mfolf
I don't expect them to use it, but maybe they could make a few bucks selling branded merchandise.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by mfolf
Outside of the VX SFO lease hold, VX employees, blocking B6 growth and ultimately forcing them to mortgage their future in a poorly thought out acquisition, VX provided nothing else of value. Certainly not the Virgin name. More Virgin businesses have vanished than currently exist. If there was an airline that was clamoring to use that name, SRB wouldn't be suing to keep AS paying on it. AS might've screwed up on the royalties, lord knows I've never been impressed with Ben and his flock, but having been there when the purchase was made? They wanted nothing to do with the Virgin brand, regardless of what they said publicly.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Tack
If there was an airline that was clamoring to use that name, SRB wouldn't be suing to keep AS paying on it.
True, but quite frankly I don’t know why any airline would want to spend money for a name when you can just make one up for free (Breeze, Avelo), unless there is some sort of integration with other branded airlines, as the franchisee of BA in South Africa had. I don’t think that enough passengers care about what is written on the plane to justify the extra cost.
Tack likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tack
Outside of the VX SFO lease hold, VX employees, blocking B6 growth and ultimately forcing them to mortgage their future in a poorly thought out acquisition, VX provided nothing else of value. Certainly not the Virgin name. More Virgin businesses have vanished than currently exist. If there was an airline that was clamoring to use that name, SRB wouldn't be suing to keep AS paying on it. AS might've screwed up on the royalties, lord knows I've never been impressed with Ben and his flock, but having been there when the purchase was made? They wanted nothing to do with the Virgin brand, regardless of what they said publicly.
Of those things, the VX SFO lease became a lot less valuable as soon as T1 reopened. T1 has a ton of empty gates and AS hasn't even made great use of the gates they got. Blocking B6 growth was again temporary--and ended up occurring largely during a pandemic when nobody else was growing either. Once the NK merger goes through, B6 will be larger than AS at LAX and has plenty of room to grow in the Bay Area. They gained some staff but a lot of people left again during the pandemic so it is not as if in the end AS is far ahead of other carriers on that front either. In hindsight, the acquisition continues to impede AS's growth, forced them to make otherwise unnecessary cost cuts, and left them with no strategy outside of protecting Seattle for years now. With rising inflation, they will be paying $10,000,000+/year for a useless name. As I said from the start, it was very poorly thought out by AS management. Worked out great for VX shareholders though.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Of those things, the VX SFO lease became a lot less valuable as soon as T1 reopened. T1 has a ton of empty gates and AS hasn't even made great use of the gates they got. Blocking B6 growth was again temporary--and ended up occurring largely during a pandemic when nobody else was growing either. Once the NK merger goes through, B6 will be larger than AS at LAX and has plenty of room to grow in the Bay Area. They gained some staff but a lot of people left again during the pandemic so it is not as if in the end AS is far ahead of other carriers on that front either. In hindsight, the acquisition continues to impede AS's growth, forced them to make otherwise unnecessary cost cuts, and left them with no strategy outside of protecting Seattle for years now. With rising inflation, they will be paying $10,000,000+/year for a useless name. As I said from the start, it was very poorly thought out by AS management. Worked out great for VX shareholders though.
Made a nice profit in 2022. Um... Scoreboard. (Agree 100% with the word "poorly" relating to Ben and cronies tho..)
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Once the NK merger goes through
The DoJ could stop it, and if they don't there will be major concessions. NK also doesn't fly to SFO and B6 is mostly BOS/FLL/JFK transcons along with some LAX flights from there. I'd say there would be an impact at OAK except AS has already taken that airport down significantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.