Upgrade Companion Fare?

Old Mar 28, 17, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Upgrade Companion Fare?

Is there any way to upgrade both people with no status on a companion fare, either paid or using miles?
Old Mar 28, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The only way I am aware it could be done is by buying an upgrade at check in, IF there are two seats availabe for sale which on most routes is unlikely.
Old Mar 28, 17, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
The only way I am aware it could be done is by buying an upgrade at check in, IF there are two seats availabe for sale which on most routes is unlikely.
Not really true -- companion fare can be upgraded with all the normal channels (GGUs, MVPG/MVP instant upgrades, and [I *think*] miles). I've never tried the miles route, but since the GGUs and MVPG/MVP upgrades work, I have to imagine the miles would as well. Since GGU's can be gifted, a no-status person could find a status person to apply GGU's for them at a minimum, if the miles route didn't work.

What you *can't* do is buy an F fare with the companion fare. You also can't buy a coach ticket w/ it, then call in to upfare.
Old Mar 28, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
Not really true -- companion fare can be upgraded with all the normal channels (GGUs, MVPG/MVP instant upgrades, and [I *think*] miles). I've never tried the miles route, but since the GGUs and MVPG/MVP upgrades work, I have to imagine the miles would as well. Since GGU's can be gifted, a no-status person could find a status person to apply GGU's for them at a minimum, if the miles route didn't work.

What you *can't* do is buy an F fare with the companion fare. You also can't buy a coach ticket w/ it, then call in to upfare.
My answer was based on the OP's condition that the people involved have no status. Clearly if somone with status wanted to give them GGU then that would work.
Old Mar 28, 17, 11:12 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Yes, you can use miles to upgrade on a companion fare
Old Mar 28, 17, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
Yes, you can use miles to upgrade on a companion fare

This is correct. I upgraded a companion pass itinerary to F with miles a couple years back and I'm not aware of any changes since then.
Old Mar 28, 17, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Originally Posted by VWTim View Post
This is correct. I upgraded a companion pass itinerary to F with miles a couple years back and I'm not aware of any changes since then.
I just upgraded using miles last week on my companion coupon.
Old Mar 28, 17, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I just upgraded using miles last week on my companion coupon.
This is news to me - great news! Do you just click "upgrade with miles" and see if the U space is available?
Old Mar 28, 17, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
This is news to me - great news! Do you just click "upgrade with miles" and see if the U space is available?
Yes, but make sure you have bought a class that is eligible for miles upgrade. Y, S, B, M, or H, I believe.
Old Mar 28, 17, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
yes...when you click on " upgrade with miles" a new fare column will appear,
the fare usually mid-way between no refund to refundable.

I just cancelled our upgraded flight and because it was a refundable fare...there was no fee to redeposit the miles back into our account.
Old Mar 28, 17, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
yes...when you click on " upgrade with miles" a new fare column will appear,
the fare usually mid-way between no refund to refundable.

I just cancelled our upgraded flight and because it was a refundable fare...there was no fee to redeposit the miles back into our account.
Good to know!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: