Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Qantas award seat search using Alaska miles are driving me nut, any advice?

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

I have been searching for 2 Qantas business award seats from MEL or SYD or CNS to SFO or LAX for the past 3 days. We do not even have to fly together if needed.

Alaska.com shows business cabin available in one of the acceptable date. But everytime the site would not confirm. Every time after hitting the purchase box, a message popped up saying the seat cannot be confirmed and try other date ...

I also searched for SFO/LAX to CNS on Qantas premium economy. It shows many availability but again, it would not confirm at the end.

I thought it might be a computer glitch, but it has been 3 days and I tried every day and every possible combination, but just would not confirm. I called Alaska and was told there are no business class available for the whole desired week.

Did that happen to anybody? So the information is not correct online? Is there anything/tricks that can improve my odds? Very frustrating!

Thanks for your help in advance,
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Partner award availability isn't always real-time up to date. Ghost availability has shown for me a few times and will continue to show until the two airlines sync their numbers.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA.com is pretty proficient at constructing Qantas and Alaska connections independently. I don't recall too many reports of phantom award availability in the AA forum.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:54 pm

Pick up the phone and call Alaska. They can book the ticket over the phone if its not working on the website for no charge. That is assuming the seat is indeed available. Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lililolo
I also searched for SFO/LAX to CNS on Qantas premium economy. It shows many availability but again, it would not confirm at the end.
SFO/LAX to CNS would be to BNE/SYD/MEL and then on to CNS.
QF does not PE on domestic routes
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
phantom availability on QF has been horrible lately. i always cross-check with BA and AA.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

The flights I want show availability on both AA and Alaska's site, but cannot be booked on Alaska online. Called Alaska's customer service and they also was not able to book. Further investigation and was told there was not any business seat available in any of the date I want.

So both American and Alaska have phantom availability, sigh..

Thanks for the help anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Same is with Hainan. There has been availability on a route for the pat 2 weeks, try to book it every day and it fails. Calling Alaska and they see the inventory but when they try to book it, Hainan refuses confirmation. Yet, the inventory keeps showing available on AS.com for weeks.

Very frustrating.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
QF, HU, CX: all the same. Almost makes it seem like any of those awards beyond economy are a fake-out, that are only rarely redeemable with AS miles...

If you can book 330 days out - or at the very last minute - you might have some luck there.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by brizone
QF, HU, CX: all the same. Almost makes it seem like any of those awards beyond economy are a fake-out, that are only rarely redeemable with AS miles...

If you can book 330 days out - or at the very last minute - you might have some luck there.
disagree with you about CX, unless you meant VX (F) in which case I agree...

CX J and F is very bookable if you know how to find seats via BA or JL tools
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
[QUOTE=brizone;28102734]QF, HU, CX: all the same. Almost makes it seem like any of those awards beyond economy are a fake-out, that are only rarely redeemable with AS miles...

First try ever redeeming for CX F. Was able to get 2 oneway. 1 even being ex JFK. Around 10 months out. Not that hard if you are persistent, willing to grab now and modify, and use JL or BA to search. In the past have seen HU tons of times, but never pulled the trigger because of YQ and 2-2 cabins
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-to-book-them/

I find the single most difficult award to get from North America is flying to Australia and New Zealand. It used to be easy, fortunately for me, because I have family there. For the past couple of years it’s been truly the needle in a haystack exercise.
It hasn't gotten better since 2011. This has been a tough award for quite some time, and gleff probably knows what he's doing when he books awards.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Booking 330 days out last year for a trip just this February, I had no trouble whatsoever grabbing a CX J seat MEL-HKG and HKG-YVR. I still had plenty of options when I decided to change it to SIN-HKG and HKG-LAX about four months out from departure.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:34 pm

Same here

Same thing happening to me. I've called Alaska and corresponded with them on twitter. They blame Qantas. Who knows, but in this day/age it is pretty poor not to have real time availability or at least a daily refresh. I've been trying for days now. I mentioned to them on twitter that it is especially terrible because Alaska have been marketing their 'buy miles bonus' this past month and really trying to sell miles for cash. But they advertise a product they can't deliver and if you buy miles only to find that you can't actually buy what is advertised, well, what can you do!? (nothing). I'm glad I didn't buy miles as I didn't need them, but I considered it. I've called Alaska and they couldn't ticket anything that shows up online.

Anyone know when Qantas/Alaska actually update their numbers and the availability shown is actually real?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by livejon
Same thing happening to me. I've called Alaska and corresponded with them on twitter. They blame Qantas. Who knows, but in this day/age it is pretty poor not to have real time availability or at least a daily refresh. I've been trying for days now. I mentioned to them on twitter that it is especially terrible because Alaska have been marketing their 'buy miles bonus' this past month and really trying to sell miles for cash. But they advertise a product they can't deliver and if you buy miles only to find that you can't actually buy what is advertised, well, what can you do!? (nothing). I'm glad I didn't buy miles as I didn't need them, but I considered it. I've called Alaska and they couldn't ticket anything that shows up online.

Anyone know when Qantas/Alaska actually update their numbers and the availability shown is actually real?
As far as I can tell, there is a delay in accessing information. Heck, even Alaskaair.com has a delay in seeing inventory that is updated once a flight is purchased. It can be 30 minutes to an hour until alaskaair.com reflects what the actual inventory is.

As for the delay, imagine what is displayed on alaskaair.com is 24-48 hours behind what is actually on QF. Similar delays occur on other carriers as well.

Oh, and Welcome to Flyertalk.
livejon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.