Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Flights between LAX and any of the Bay Area airports will trigger the 500 EQM minimum.
Thanks for adding the clarification regarding the minimum.

How do those miles show up on your MilePlan - mileage activity page?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are both right.

My question was more, since I flew the miles to earn Gold on Dec 30, but I flew again on Dec 31 (before those Dec 30 miles had posted) will I automatically get the gold bonus or will I have to call in to retroactively request it?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:34 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I feel like I've gotten a surprising number of U upgrades as MVP this year. Some of them were definitely just due to flying weird days/hours...but on Christmas I got bumped up to U on a Boeing (at 48 hours, since insta-U was available), and today (New Year's Day) I unexpectedly got bumped to U on an Airbus on the one BOS-LAX nonstop flight. And I generally get at least a Premium upgrade, even on the LAX-NYC route.

Also, apparently even at MVP I fly too much, because across the aisle from me was someone I literally sat next to during the hell of the seat renumbering a couple of months ago.
Thanks for the data points. I have a few clients I regularly see in SEA/GEG/PUW so I've been flying Alaska about 20k a year for a few years now. Before I was just crediting it all to AA but last year I got a couple AS Visa bonuses and a status match. Don't see my pattern changing enough to ever be more than MVP with AS. I guess I could start crediting some SQ flights etc over to AS but haven't really sat down and done all the math for 2019 yet.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Thanks for adding the clarification regarding the minimum.

How do those miles show up on your MilePlan - mileage activity page?
It will show the base miles plus a "bonus" that rounds it up to 500.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You are both right.

My question was more, since I flew the miles to earn Gold on Dec 30, but I flew again on Dec 31 (before those Dec 30 miles had posted) will I automatically get the gold bonus or will I have to call in to retroactively request it?
Call to request it, but there have been mixed reports on the success of doing so.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
It will show the base miles plus a "bonus" that rounds it up to 500.
Hi, is that how the miles shows on YOUR Mileage Plan - mileage activity page as a MVP?

For MVPGolds, I believe it will show up as I stated.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:36 am Reason: edited because I see Mildfrequence is a MVP level.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Hi, is that how the miles shows on YOUR Mileage Plan - mileage activity page as a MVP?

For MVPGolds, I believe it will show up as I stated.
Sorry, I wasn't following the full exchange and wasn't considering any elite bonus in the equation.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The elite bonus and the top up to 500 are commingled into the bonus section. This is very annoying and confusing, since the top up is elite eligible and the elite bonus is not
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
I qualified MVPG in 2017, but ended up a little shy of MVP by the end of 2018, so I booked a mileage run and brought along a friend on my Visa companion fare. AS performed so abysmally that my friend has declared she will never fly AS again if she has a choice. All four legs delayed, the last flight narrowly avoided diverting from EUG back to SEA for reasons I'm still not sure I understand. Unless something changes drastically I think this will be the last year of MVP for me.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were the delays AS's fault? Weather related delays and diversions are the norm for winter travel on any airline.

Which is not to say that delays cannot be the airline's fault too. I quit on Southwest (and went to VX) after 20 consecutive segments were significantly delayed. They ended up sending out an apology letter (and IIRC got fined by the DOT for scheduling unrealistic turnarounds) but by then I was long gone.

I haven't really found this to be a problem for AS though. Even flying out of SFO (which has its share of delays, to say the least) I've found the on-time performance to be decent (not perfect of course -- I had one cancellation and two significant delays this year -- but nothing out of the ordinary for a year of traveling)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Dec 30 flight posted. My status still says MVP though.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Me too. Waiting for the status to update to MVPG!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Now that you are over the threshold with the miles that posted tonight I anticipate your status will update overnight. If it does, it should correctly give you the 100% MVPG Elite bonus on your 12/31 flight that should post tomorrow night.

In my experience, the Elite Status updates overnight after the qualifying miles post.

James
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Now that you are over the threshold with the miles that posted tonight I anticipate your status will update overnight. If it does, it should correctly give you the 100% MVPG Elite bonus on your 12/31 flight that should post tomorrow night.

In my experience, the Elite Status updates overnight after the qualifying miles post.

James
It used to be a Saturday Night update after the miles posted.

However, this seems to have been updated~ and now updates within a couple days, if not overnight (as you've experienced).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
Were the delays AS's fault? Weather related delays and diversions are the norm for winter travel on any airline.

Which is not to say that delays cannot be the airline's fault too. I quit on Southwest (and went to VX) after 20 consecutive segments were significantly delayed. They ended up sending out an apology letter (and IIRC got fined by the DOT for scheduling unrealistic turnarounds) but by then I was long gone.

I haven't really found this to be a problem for AS though. Even flying out of SFO (which has its share of delays, to say the least) I've found the on-time performance to be decent (not perfect of course -- I had one cancellation and two significant delays this year -- but nothing out of the ordinary for a year of traveling)
One definitely was AS' fault (mechanical issue delayed inbound aircraft), two I'm not really clear on what happened, and the fourth, while the root cause was not their fault, the crew communication was handled very badly. Almost arrived at EUG, they announced they couldn't land due to faulty wind observation, held for a long time, FAs announced we were landing at EUG, pilot then announced we were diverting back to SEA, asked us to stand by for updates, after 15 minutes of bumping around at 6000 feet we turned around and finally headed back to EUG. At this point my companion, a somewhat skittish flyer, was literally in tears from the anxiety.

My experience so far has been that those later flights to EUG, from PDX or SEA, are pretty consistently late or cancelled when the house of cards falls apart earlier in the day. And since AS only operates to those two cities (and keeps cutting flights while other airlines are adding them) it's harder to take them seriously as the airline of choice. UA, who I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, operates to DEN, SFO, LAX, and just announced ORD. You do the math... but I guess this is getting a little off topic for this thread so I should just let it drop there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.